As yet unflown M3P with folding undercarriage

Adding another 19g to the aircraft.

Question. Even though it’s more than capable of lifting it, can the M3P be flown over MTOW & remain insured?

1 Like

That’s a question only your current insurance provider can answer, please ask them directly :slight_smile:

If you become an Insured Member of GADC, you’d be covered regardless of the weight or type of craft you fly, providing you’re flying within the CAA Drone and Model Aircraft Code regulations.

Great mod btw :slight_smile:

Got a STL file you can share? :blush:

2 Likes

It’s come from Cults 3D, I only paid £2 odd for it but I’m happy to share the STL if the forum rules allow it. I’m new round these parts & wouldn’t want to step on any toes.

I’m going to be using a commercial insurer so I will have to look closely at the policy before I sign up for it

Here’s the best place to share STL files: Found any cool .STL files? Share them here

3 Likes

please note that if go over 250g the next tier of rules apply…

ie no closer than 50m to uninvolved persons unless you have an A2 COC

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

I would recommend you learn to hand takeoff and land there is no need (in my opinion) for such bling… it does not help the flight time either.

appreciate each to their own and we are all responsible pilots responsible for our own actions and choices and will be accountable if called upon for our actions and choices

unless it improves the image quality, flight time, or visibility (if needed) why do it…

hand catching and takeoff once you do it a few times is very easy to do… anyone want a free landing mat as I’m happy to give away as it will not ever be used again

2 Likes

I can’t see where to post a reply.

I’m A2CofC anyway. I’ve flown a borrowed Mini 1 for a while. Hand landing isn’t an issue, I’m just curious to know if that extra 20g on the belly gives if a little bit more stability

good point. yup it will probably be more stable.

you could also print it in light weight pla which the RC plane guys use that will bring the weight down and still maybe under 250g for those that need the bling

but for weight you could try a more dense material and add some low level weights maybe (petg or maybe ASA for a UV stabilised solution)

1 Like

Quick and dirty option I guess would be up the infill from 25% to 100% would maybe add a gram or two

may be better to try to increase the density at the bottom of the legs (more stability at distance from pendulum or pivot point)

1 Like

That would be cool, I am sick of doing the councils job cutting the grass.

Now posted in the STL thread

I’ve added things on top, on the sides, and below my drone … and the weight makes no difference to stability - even when hanging a bottle of beer beneath.

The power, and mechanical moment, of each prop at the end of their arms, and the sensitivity of the inertial sensors coupled with the IMU, mean that it remains quite stable.

1 Like

The only thing I’ve ever tried was a GoPro mounted on one of those ratty old SG906 dogs. It danced around like a housebrick on a piece of elastic.

Stable it was not.

1 Like

Additional:

As printed the legs are quite loose on their hinge pins. Consequently as soon as you take off the legs are blown by the airflow into the folded position bringing them directly in line with the landing sensors.

Little bit of tape will solve that issue.

2 Likes

Tale a look at the vid I linked to. Quite happy.

Weight on the arms would have more effect because it would hamper the speed that the drone can adjust orientation. But centrally mounted has little effect.

Indeed - I rarely bother with sensors being on - and most definitely would have been off when slinging anything beneath.

1 Like

You can certainly hear the power come on when it takes the weight :open_mouth:

Work has to be done to lift a full bottle of beer. My right arm knows this, but manages without the same noise. :rofl:

1 Like