At what point is it too much......?

That looks like heaven to me. I’d get lost in there for days, love it.

3 Likes

News just in…

Met police recover stash of stolen drones!

7 Likes

Y
M
C
A :rofl:

5 Likes

In reality the only help I need is in organising it all. I’m not adverse to hard work, but my broken body has its limitations but I’m slowly getting everything organised.

If I’m truthful I got into this hobby to stave off a possible premature death. In the career field I was in for 25yrs before having to prematurely retire at 48yrs old, the average life expectancy after retirement was four to six years. This wasn’t due to hazardous work conditions or health related issues, but many postulated it was such a technically demanding and dynamic environment that once retired one could suffer such a paradigm shift resulting to problems adjusting.

I found that the emerging drone technology quite neatly encompassed all the disciplines I’d been involved with for the last 25yrs, e.g. RF engineering, software, telemetry, remote operation, etc, but on a much smaller scale. I would go as far as to say it’s one of the major factors as to why I’m still breathing today.

I don’t have any vices that impact my finances, my son has left home and is financially independent, I don’t have any financial commitments like loans and mortgages, nor am I dependent on any state benefits - I still pay for all my prescriptions. To that end acquiring the odd drone project or two every so often is money well spent if it means keeping me occupied and not ruminating about the time before my body started to work against me.

That’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, your Honour, so help me Obi Wan Kenobi. :wink:

14 Likes

This will probably shatter a few illusions.

11 Likes

@Nidge Actually yes but in a positive way :+1: you look much much younger then I imagined. :+1:

3 Likes

Sorry for the late reply - I was busy yesterday buying my 4th S900 :slight_smile:

I also have an Air 1. In combination with an A2 C of C and Article 16 Authorisation and weighing only 430 grams it gets closer than most aircraft and provides 4k footage :slight_smile:

From Good 2 Go:

You told us:

• Your drone weighs 430g
  • You hold an A2 Certificate of Competency
  • You hold an Article 16 Operational Authorisation
  • You do not want to fly directly above uninvolved persons
  • You want to fly between 0 metres and 30 metres away from people
  • You want to fly in a recreational area

You can fly because:

• Flying this close to people is Open sub-category A1
  • Your drone is <500g and can be flown in Open sub-category A1 using your A2 CofC, close to but not over uninvolved persons
4 Likes

I get that all the time. It sometimes works in reverse when folk think I’m actually younger than I am. I put that down to my immature behaviour and the illicit experimental monkey hormones.

4 Likes

Barbers been shut for a few years down your way then ? :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

8 Likes

Thinking we’ve got a good line up for the next season of Game of Thrones right here in GADC :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sorry Steve, might not be able to make it. I’m waiting on hearing whether I’ve got the part as a noble in a medieval drama that should provide sporadic work into 2022 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Get you with your dramatic studio shot… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah he looks a lot older than his profile pic suggests eh :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s only a selfie. If you can call black background, combination of natural main and tingsten fill and a full frame e DSLR operated from my phone a selfie then that’s what it is. I just take good snaps is all :camera: :grin:

3 Likes

New series…
Game of Drones?

5 Likes

Lol. I am In love with this thread. Omg, @Nidge your collection looks amazing. All u need I now is a long Room where u can display them properly like in a museum. @ianinlondon mate I thought I had too much drone stuff and all I own is one s500 drone with pixhawk and accessories and a apm kit with accessories, plus the fpv camera which is tiny and a reciever for it that connects to my laptop, one tx16s, one fsi-16s radio. Now whenever I get told I am spending too much I will just show them this to get them of my back so I can spend more. Haha.

4 Likes

Please, @Hassan45, don’t try and follow my example.

My wife had two big fears of what might happen in the event of my death. One was being made homeless, and the other was what to do with all the stuff I have used to fill the gaps in my wall. I’ve taken care of her first fear as the mortgage is paid and the house is in her name. The second is still a problem. She has seen first hand how grave robbers will descend on the next of kin if something of value is to be had when I’ve dealt with the shiny property of close friends on behalf of the bereaved family.

I’ve been giving some serious thought to acquiring a storage unit for all the flying stuff. There’s a facility in hobbling distance to me, and on route to my usual flying spot, which I may avail myself of.

2 Likes

@Nidge I would if I could have a wee collection but my wife stops me in my tracks and I before buying thinks of her yapping is worth the hassle so everything I have I hide, she thinks I have just a Mavic pro and that’s it. Problem is then me playing around with my collection I have to route them out drool for a wee bit then pack it back away before she sees, I might have been once a 6’3" killing machine :sunglasses: but she scares me :scream: :rofl: she has 100 different ways that money could be spent and all to her benefit :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

Is that life imitating art, or art imitating lfe, Mark?

My wife maybe only 4ft10inch tall but she spent 12yrs in the military and has been taught to inflict maximum pain, both physically and mentally, with minimum effort. She may not be interested in my hobbies/obsessions but she’s never complained about them either. So in someways she’s partly accountable for my recklessness.

4 Likes