Avebury Henge - 280 image pano

Avebury Henge has a diameter of 347 metres (and the largest in the world).

I’ve always wanted to do a top-down shot with a drone, but to get it all in, I would need to fly to an altitude of at least 900 metres.

This was validated using Google Earth Pro.

This is what Avebury looks like at 120 metres altitude:

Since 900 metres altitude is 7.5 times the legal altitude limit for drones in the UK, I decided to take the panoramic approach.

The DJI Air 3 includes Waypoints. I have tried to create waypoints prior to the flight on a few occassions, but the screen is too small to create anything complex. The alternative method would be to fly to each waypoint, save it, and then start the flight from the 1st waypoint. But with the size of Avebury, it would mean a flight time of an hour - which is impossible. I could save the waypoints for later, come back, change batteries, then do the flight … but it’s too much faff. This is where Litchi would really come in handy, but since I have the DJI RC, so I can’t install it.

So I decided to do the whole thing manually with the Air 3.

1. Took off from the Herepath (51.429759, -1.849673)
  2. Climbed to 120m
  3. Set the camera to timed photo mode @ 5 seconds
  4. Took my hand off the left stick
  5. Tried to keep the speed to 10 mph
  6. Flew 12 passes over Avebury Henge
  7. Took 280 photos
  8. Returned to home

Airdata shows the following for the flight:

It was quite windy up there to:

I downloaded the KML and viewed in Google Earth Pro:

The 280 DNGs were then loaded in Autopano Giga. It took 24 minutes to create a preview of the stitched 280 photos. But due to the size of it, AGP warned me that it would result in a PNG with a file size of more than 2GB, and due to PNG limitations, it could corrupt.

• Size = 32,148 x 34,874 = 1,121,129,352 pixels
  • Pixel count = 1.12 GP pixels
  • Resolution = 1.12 GP pixels

So I reduced the settings by 40% and then rendered the pano. This took about 30 minutes and still ended up creating a 1.95GB PNG. The image resolution is now:

• Size = 19,288 x 20,924 = 403,582,112 pixels
  • Pixel count = 403.58 MP pixels
  • Resolution = 403.58 MP pixels
  • Size = 1.95 GB

It is available on WeTransfer for the next 7 days in case anyone wants a play.

I then loaded the 1.95 GB file in Photoshop, edited it, saved back to the PC.

After a SHED LOAD of faffing trying to upload to GADC ...

But this resulted in a file of 506 MB, way too big to upload to GADC. So I then saved it as a JPG, but that too was 106 MB, over the 100 MB upload limit for this forum. I reduced the scale by 2%:

• Size = 15,524 x 16,247 = 252,218,428 pixels
  • Pixel count = 252.22 MP pixels
  • Resolution = 252.22 MP pixels
  • Size = 97.5 MB

I tried uploading it to the forum, but it failed, with a warning stating:

Sorry, the image you are trying to upload is too large (maximum dimension is 200-megapixels), please resize it and try again.

I then reduced the image scale by 5%, which meets the 200 MP and 100 MB file size restrictions:

• Size = 13,543 x 14,174 = 191,958,482 pixels
  • Pixel count = 191.96 MP pixels
  • Resolution = 191.96 MP pixels
  • Size = 71.6 MB

But it still wouldn’t upload, and errored with:

/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:138:in `exec’: An error happened when converting from PNG to JPG.

After a lot of trial and error, the only thing that worked was to reduce the image resolution by 50%.

• Size = 9505 x 9947 = 94,546,235 pixels
  • Pixel count = 94.55 MP pixels
  • Resolution = 94.55 MP pixels
  • Size = 17 MB

Which suggests to me that the maximum dimension permitted is actually 100 MP, and not 200 MP.

Below is a 280 image pano of Avebury Henge :grin:

7 Likes

I take it the slight “banding” that runs top-to-bottom is an artifact of the multiple flights across the henge, and the stitching not fully blending the overlaps?

1 Like

I know there’s some software, linked to their server-side processing, that does these orthographic image stitchings. Not free, though does an incredible job, judging by the images I’ve seen an ex GADC member post.

1 Like

I didn’t notice it until you pointed it out. I just openned the 1.95 GB render from APG, it also has it.

Note that the final edit has been rotated by 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

Hmm. There are loads of settings in APG, but I just left them on Auto.

1 Like

Chris … amazing work. As always :slight_smile:

I’m really impressed by how parallel your flight lines are across those distances doing it manually !!

Running the photos through ODM (open drone mapper) then comparing to AGM would be interesting to see if the banding is reproduced … plus you could get a 3D model too

Thanks mate.

To be honest, I thought I’d be all over the place, but the simple trick of taking my thumb off the left stick seemed to work well.

I’ve never heard of ODM until now. I’ve already been over to their page. They offer 3 methods to install, the easiest costs £57, so sod that. The free methods is a GIT install or using WebODM Lightning, so I am going to give that a bash. Wish I didn’t delete all my JPGs now. At the moment, I am using the PS image processor to recreate them. Then I will upload and see what it produces.

Thanks for the heads up on this :+1:

Well something’s happening …

It’s taking a while, but there are 280 images totalling 2 GB to process over the web.

No worries, though ODM can be a rabbit hole once you start playing with the settings to get that “perfect model”

If you can live with a wide angle “fish eye” effect you can get a large area in by staying in a central spot at 120m and taking numerous shots as the drone rotates and progressively bringing the gimbal up from straight down. Then simply stitch the images together on PhotoShop:

1 Like

That would be fine for small sites, but Avebury is massive. And I think the fisheye would be too much. But good shout all the same.

The task is complete. You can view the model using the link below. Note, since it’s a free account, they will automatically delete the model after 3 days.

https://cloud1.webodm.net/public/task/863b91d2-a74e-464a-b478-c0a75811fe8c/3d/

They do allow the option to download the model. A huge 6 GB zip, when extracted shows this:

I imported the pointcloud data into Planlauf Terrain, which is what I use for LiDAR modelling:

And within the dom_orthophoto folder, it has a 2GB TIF file which I opened in PS. The quality is insane! It has created the pano at full resolution, whereas I couldn’t do that with APG, due to saving as PNG.

• Size = 35,199 x 34,555 = 1,216,301,445 pixels
  • Pixel count = 1.22 GP pixels
  • Resolution = 1.22 GP pixels

Plus, I cannot see any banding :clap:

If anyone wants the full resolution pano of Avebury, it is available here for the next 7 days.

Thanks ximi … I learnt something today :grin: :+1:

4 Likes

Pleasure … have fun :slight_smile:

As a matter of interest the max dimension left to right of the image I hope you can see on DropBox(!) is 320m…

Edit…removed your personal details

@clinkadink if you have anything that runs litchi check out my musings from a little while back

Sadly not anymore, both DJI Mini 3 Pro and Air 3 have the RC and RC2 :disappointed:

Ask to join Litch Pilot beta

That TIF is a thing of bloody beauty! :clap:

1 Like

Isn’t it just. I can’t believe the quality of it. Defo using ODM again!

1 Like

The whole of Wiltshire next? :crazy_face: