Battery Storage

Hi Friends, Here is todays question :grinning:
On the DJI Mini 3 Pro, should I store the drone with the battery left in, removed or does it make no difference? It could be stored for a day, a week or a month depending on health, weather and personal commitments.
Thanks … Rod

It makes no difference. Drones are often delivered from the manufacturer with batteries installed to save space. If you want to remove the battery that’s also fine. The only possible disadvantage that I can see is that removing the battery might create more wear on the contacts or locking tabs (the locking tabs on some mini drones are a bit fragile).

1 Like

Thanks for that Paul @pcaouolte I did wonder if indeed it did make any difference as there are many different types of battery about these days. and personally I have never seen any point in fireproof bags whether li-pol or what. and after all, battery stability has come on so much recently. I just thought I would ask in case I total a 1,000 quid drone :rofl:
Thanks … Rod

Don’t use a fireproof bag and you could total a xxxxxxk house :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I wonder if that has ever happened with a little drone battery just sitting around? I am aware that there is a very small possibility of it happening during charging.

Any chance is a chance at all

4 Likes

I have seen videos of them exploding when being charged. I’m not sure if they were being charged properly or abused by incorrect charging.

I have never seen a video, or heard of, a drone battery exploding whilst it was sitting in the drone unused.

I have stored LiPo batteries inside devices for years, some devices don’t allow the batteries to be removed at all.

Rod @The-Hive now has both sides of the story and can make his own choice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pcaouolte Just something I was pondering over as I am making compartments in my hard case for drone batteries, so if I leave a battery in the drone I need one less space :grinning:

A bit extreme circumstances :upside_down_face:

It seems to me that most problems are caused by lack of thought. I reckon that a battery just left in a drone in moderate conditions will cause no problems, especially with modern day batteries treated well and charged properly.

1 Like

I store mine in a fire proof bag and never have a battery in the drone until I am ready to fly , probably over safe but better safe than sorry , I know a lot of drones now arrive with the battery in but it’s not been activated at that point until you charge it and if it’s not in the drone it cannot be accidentally switched on or if anything shorts out , as I say probably over safe but that’s how and why I do it .

1 Like

They arrive with the battery in and charged.

This is a picture of a petrol car on fire. Do you drain your tank and fuel lines every time you park?

Credit: EJ Imageries

2 Likes

I overthought this too and asked a similar question quite sone time ago. Yes these batteries are dangerous, but only if not cared for and looked after correctly. If coming from a recognised manufacturer like DJi then follow the instructions, you’ll be quite safe.

3 Likes

I was product manager for this at Dell in 1994.

28 Years of Latitude Love From Dell - Data#3.

I’ve had literally hundreds of Lithium Ion batteries since then and currently estimate I have 40 plus in the house (and some parked on the drive). I’ve had three fail physically (as opposed to no longer taking a charge - two Microsoft Surface and one Parrot drone battery) in normal use, none with any serious consequences from a safety POV (the laptop screens were trashed).

Which isn’t to say that there can’t be any, but you’re vastly more likely to be run over crossing the street or involved in an ICE car fire.

Airlines are rightly cautious - not so much because of the probability but because of the consequences.

(170,000 vehicle fires a year in the US versus 25,000 LiIon battery fires between 2014 and 2017)

1 Like

Thanks @scottydog

1 Like

Thanks @speedracer66

@mynameisjoe Thanks Darren, that makes a lot of sense

At the way fuel prices are… I am lucky enough to have any fuel to set fire to in our car… Drone would get further lol

1 Like

I have a plug-in hybrid - I can set mine on fire either/both ways…

1 Like

Ours is E power. So waiting to see when ours goes up.