Betaflight 4.3

I’ve been playing with Betaflight 4.3.
Something not mentioned before is all the new stuff on the OSD. I am a particular fan of the British measurements!

Speed in mph, but everything else in metres… nice

3 Likes

Nice one Richard, how are you finding it in general? Does it seem stable? I think the British units thing was available on V4.2.9 also but I’m not 100%. I’ll check when I get home later :+1:t2:

We’ve got it in iNav 4.0 now as well :+1:

1 Like

Is all your gear on INav Steve? What’s the main differences compared to BF?

Hi Steve @SirGunner
No, I’ve a mixture depending on usage.

BetaFlight on:
TinyHawk Freestyle
Source One quad

iNav on:
5" quad (own frame, but got a NEXT5 freestyle frame coming for a transplant)
C1 Chaser flying wing

DJI NAZA on
DJI Flamewheel 450mm (the quad we dropped the football from)

Ardupilot on
7" quad
710mm quad
THEER flying wing
SkyHunter Mini, wing with a tail (does that make it a plane :thinking: )

My two BF’s are for learning ACRO flying, you know, that clever stuff you and Karl @notveryprettyboy do :laughing:

My iNav’s give me full GPS capability, RTH, missions etc.
Very nice on wings and my 5" quad kept perfect hover position yesterday with the new ver.4 maidening on default settings

I use Ardupilot for that extra maturity and confidence for long range stuff etc.

:smiley:

So far it’s great. No issues. I am starting with a brand new build and brand new FC. I copied over the absolute minimum config over from the base FC. It’s one of these:

My frame is a pusher and so the motor direction and re-assignment was the main feature I was looking to use.

So far the flights have been around the house in angle mode and I’ve been very pleased with the stability in flight. Very similar to flying my tinywhoop. A little less flighty.

I’ve used the base PID and rate profiles and just tinkered with modes and OSD so far.

Other things in the OSD I’ve found are an arrow to suggest which way to push the sticks in turtle mode and a grid to help with alignment than I don’t think is there on the standard configurator. I think there are a load more as well.

There seem to be more options on the left menu as well…

2 Likes

Thanks for all the detail Steve, it’s good to see what each is good for :+1:t2:

Thats cool Richard I might take a look at upgrading soon :+1:t2:

iNav users primarily have chosen it for it’s GPS features.

This means that the quad has to reliably see at least 8 satellites (some people will say only 6 is needed but on a fast moving object were some sats may drop out I believe 8 is the minimum working number)
This is fairly easy to achieve on a small quad, I have one on my TinyHawk, but the 120/180 size units are not as sensitive as the larger 880’s Best to fit one with a tiny battery included as it will store last positions and make the acquire shorter for next time.

iNav also needs a compass, this is more difficult on a small quad as it has to be seperated by about 50/75mm from high current carrying cables i.e. battery, ESC’s and motor leads.
In most cases the best option is to fit a GPS module with compass included (most are these days) and put it on a stalk above the battery. I was lucky with my HSKRC 280 I mounted it above the FPV camera and it worked well.

Setting up iNav is very similiar to BF, they are both ‘forks’ from CleanFlight. The GUI ‘Configurator’ are very similiar, PIDS and rates settings share similiar formats there are just extra parameters for RTH settings and mission navigation. Anybody who is familiar with BF Configurator will have no problem getting their head around it.

The configurator includes a tab to pre-plan a flight, called a mission, which you can then load to the craft and invoke on a TX switch. This is very similiar to ‘missions’ in Flight Planner for Ardupilot and the iNav ‘dev’ guys have got it running pretty good these days.

Hope this answers the question, There are tons of YT vids on using and setting up iNav.

:smiley:

3 Likes

Very informative thanks Steve :+1:t2:

How is iNav for the flippity floppity stuff, Steve?

I have a quad, Connex Falcore, which is on an old custom flavour of Cleanflight. The manufacturer never updated the target file nor made the original available for rolling back.

INav has a working target for the custom flight controller, and the FC also has provision for a GPS and Compass. The quad is equipped with a low latency HD FPV system so would make a nice GPS cruiser, but I don’t want to lose the flippity floppity modes, especially as I won’t be able to roll it back to the original CF firmware.

1 Like

OK apparently…
You still have all the basic modes ACRO, ANGLE, HORIZON with AIRMODE

Pawel Spychalski has got YT videos comparing flippy floppy with BF, worth watching :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I’ll check Pawel’s video out. If I like what I see it could be tomorrow’s project for the day.

1 Like

Yes, go for it :grinning::laughing::grinning:

1 Like

Just seen 5his video from UAVTech about new Betaflight 4.3 presets including tunes/rates/OSD etc. Looks like a great new feature

1 Like

And as expected bardwells one.

1 Like

Just watched this, specifically about tuning a 5" without blackbox using Betaflight 4.3 with presets as a starting point. Im really gonna have to bite the bullet and update to 4.3 on both my quads I think :thinking:

1 Like

One thing he doesn’t mention in the video (unless I missed it) which I think is new for BF4.3 is that all the easy tuning sliders are now available in the goggle OSD whereas before all you could change from the OSD menus were the actual raw PID values. This makes it super easy to fly for 1 minute, land, bump a slider up/down by 0.2, fly again,…

If you do have blackbox logging, then you can fly 4 different P values and have the step response of them all overlaid on a graph on your screen within about 5-10 minutes, whereas it would take you many times that before schlepping in and out of the house.

Maybe because he was flying DJI? Does that even have menus in the OSD?

1 Like

Oh yeah good point - no menus with DJI. Not sure I’d cope, I use them all the time for stuff.

1 Like