Big Club Meet 3-4 July 2021

At least they answered your enquiry Karl.

3 Likes

Yes I thought that it also is an insight as to how they think and what their concerns would be :thinking:

But as you said it will happen

It only takes 1 to say yes Yay

1 Like

The Midlands is winning the vote at the moment, but it’s early days. Get your votes in guys and gurls.
Poll post is #51.

1 Like

Quick link to poll

2 Likes

@PingSpike, @notveryprettyboy hi guys, I’ve been having a think about this event. I saw someone mentioned concerns about our numbers being a potential issue when flying numerous drones in terms of signal interference, but it also got me thinking about collisions and near misses. I remember our meet last year in Bolton we had a few close calls, though it was a good laugh in the end.

Can I suggest we employ a sort of stacking system? It’s kinda like an ATC style arrangement.
We can split ourselves into manageable groups and each group stays within an allocated altitude range, for example:
Group 1 25m - 35m
Group 2 40m - 50m
Group 3 55m - 65m
So each group has a 10m altitude corridor with 5m exclusion separating the groups from each other.
This is just a rough guesstimate, we can tweak the group numbers and altitude ranges to suit our needs.
Just my thoughts.

1 Like

If a coastal venue is preferred I suggest these 2 locations:

1. Marshside, Southport
    Marshside Car park
  2. Preesall, Poulton-le-Fylde
    Pilling Embankment, Preesall

They’re not too far off the beaten track and usually not very crowded. We can always walk a bit further off the main area to further distance ourselves from members of the public. And being coastal, we can always fly out to sea if there are any concerns about flying over people or private land. I think those of us who have fixed wing UAVs will appreciate this option.

3 Likes

I think the separation idea is good, but, not enough, 5 metre window should be at least 10.
I defy anyone to be able to judge 5 metres when at altitude with other craft flying in close proximity.
The idea is good, if adjustments are made.
It would be better to have separate areas defined for each type/class of drone ( if space prevails)
FPV, etc.
Also a separate area for new flyers, who are not use to flying near others, call it “ Learners Corner” if you like!.
Just my immediate thoughts, no doubt others will have ideas to throw into the pot.
We do not want to deter anyone from thinking that they cannot be included.
I would be happy to just help the “noobies” get off the ground with impromptu lessons in a quite area of the venue.

2 Likes

I think the forum needs to take a second to clarify some things about this meet up before a location is selected.

Firstly, we need to work out what are the goals and objectives of this meet-up?

WHY
Is it to be a purely a social meet with some flying?
Is it to explore and record an interesting site/area of outstanding beauty?
Or a hybrid of all of the above?
Is it to raise public awareness?

WHO
Is it for all forum members?
Is it just for FPV or for members with camera platform drones?
Possible numbers?

WHEN

Weekend or weekday?
How long is the event?
Is overnight required? If so, night before or after the meet-up?

WHERE

This can only be decided once the above points have been decided.
It would be easier to find a large area to fly around if space was purely the issue, the more ‘interesting’ the location, I would suggest the more permissions and obstacles we would need to overcome as the public may be more involved.

WHAT

What is the event all about?
Do we want a passing on of knowledge, talks/demonstrations by members?
Is it to raise funds for the forum/charity/future events?
What do we want to gain from the event?

Only when we have a broad outline can the detailed planning take place.

4 Likes

We are getting some great input Guys about this, keep your ideas, concerns, and general input coming!.
No ones ideas are refused, and yes, ALL are welcome to come along.
It’s not always about flying, it will be great social event as well.
I hope I am not treading on anyone’s toes here,@milkmanchris. @notveryprettyboy if I am, just tell me to shut up, I will not be offended.

2 Likes

Yes Chris. Lots of enthusiasm here.
The poll ought to show the most popular area. Then we can see the most popular time of week / number of days etc.
Then the preferred surrounding amenities, then we can hunt for a place?

4 Likes

Just caught up with this thread, as a newbie would definitely be interested in this.

2 Likes

I would be interested in this, depending where and when

As for interference with drones, may i suggest fly blindfolded and someone films it
Obviously i would do the filming it been my idea :rofl: :rofl:
I have transport so car share/lift is possible and i might even bring a tent :+1:

1 Like

Smooth talker you :wink:

3 Likes

Does anyone know where he can get a Circus tent for the weekend?.
(as Hannibal said “I love it when a plan comes together”)

I’ll be tenting it with the misses and dog if the venue permits. So bbq and beer!

4 Likes

Just a thought, perhaps everyone flying should have third party insurance. Cheap enough with the BMFA.
And perhaps whoever is considered to be organising it might be as well to have event insurance.

1 Like

I’m guessing that’s British model something association but whats the other word

Awww flyers :joy:

https://bmfa.org/

I’m thinking that some kind of designated model aircraft flying field is probably the best bet for this, if we can find one that’s in a nice area and that’s willing to be friendly to dronies for a day. That 2nd part might be tricky :slight_smile:

1 Like