Bloody weather! ... and flyability

Yes!!! put him right!!! he should know better!!! :rofl: :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

But .it’s fine for them to allow drones to fly all round their ships on their TV Adverts !.

2 Likes

Do as i say,not as i do,comes to mind!!! :wink: :wink:

1 Like

The Diamond Princess is still the third-highest ‘country’ for Coronavirus cases. You can keep your floating Petri dish, thanks all the same! :mask: :sneezing_face: :wink:

6 Likes

Anyone hitting the sky’s today? Sun is beaming here in the SW and the wind has dropped. :grinning: :sunny:

2 Likes

Too bloody windy here in Northumberland

2 Likes

I think I will try,

1 Like

No I’m at work, and the weather is great for flying in the NW. It’s not fair. And at the weekend it’s supposed to be windy again. :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

Ummm … probably could, but could be the wrong type of fun. :wink:

But I may be tempted …

1 Like

Blowing here (still!), and threatening to snow. but it’s raining at the mo !.
Suppose to get out this avo !.

1 Like

Coincidentally, there was a flurry of snow - exactly 2 years ago today - whilst I was flying.

1 Like

got to do my pfco renewal which needs 2 hours flight logs in the last 3 months before renewal. struggling, gonna have to get out for an hour in next week or so.

2 Likes

Wow, that certainly came down didn’t it! :scream:
Looks incredible though, that snow blowing sideways across the camera :ok_hand::heart_eyes:

1 Like

It caught me out. All my cases (MP/RC hard-shells) were full of snow, too … less than ideal.

(“Full” might be an exaggeration …. but they were still damp inside.)

1 Like

snowed here for at least five mins :cold_face:

1 Like

Really want snow, always since owning a drone wanted to fly in it. :confused: although probably shouldn’t with the moisture side of it. :grimacing:

Did it affect the drone much? Moisture? :thinking: would you do it again but purposely next time?
I’ve flown in minimal mist and it came back soaked :confused:

3 Likes

Nope - no effect.

Snow? Yeah - that wouldn’t worry me.
If the drone is already effing cold, most snow will blow straight past.
If it’s a bit warm? The amount of actual water, in what looks like a lot of snow, is actually very little. Most would blow past. The motors are brushless, and the bearings fully sealed, so it still wouldn’t bother me unduly.

Chances are everything gets more damp flying up through fog … and I’ve done that a few times.

With snow, and a sudden flurry like that one, the thing that one has to consider is VLOS … and I’m not talking drone code, just that had it been 50m away, there’s no way I would have been able to see it.
RTH would be one solution … but understanding what’s on the app screen and knowing how to do “Instrument Flying” would be a distinct advantage.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, :ok_hand:
I can imagine keeping an eye on it would be hard work, in your clip it came down quite thick.
I’m guessing the snow is moving to fast for the sensors to pick up anything too? :thinking: wouldn’t want it sat up there refusing to move. Although these can be disabled, it still panics you slightly when it does something your not expecting.

1 Like

By default, I have all sensors off … but I doubt they’d “see” the snow.
(Actually - :thinking: - 2 years ago - the sensors may have been on. :man_shrugging:)

The other thing I forgot at the end of that last post, re VLOS, you can’t count on the camera feed, either. That could be totally white!.

1 Like