Bloody weather! ... and flyability

Handy tips, appreciate that :handshake: won’t feel so nervous if and when it decides to snow here.

1 Like

and you might have to hand launch and catch

2 Likes

Just checked the log for that flight. The sensors were on.
I can’t recall when I decided (for me) all off was better than flying somewhere they became compromised when they kicked in. :fearful:
I now think the other way around …. “This might be better with sensors!” … and switch them on.
Horses-for-courses.

1 Like

Launching should be no issue … other than if it’s already snowing you probably won’t get the visual fixes for precision landing.

Landing should be OK … it still has the ultrasonic sensor (if they are on) to find the hard stuff. And, if like me you have sensors (and precision landing) off, then you are used to manually landing in any case.

1 Like

Oh definitely, I’ve flown in a few places where (what I believe) the sensors have played up and the drone has had some sort of fit in the sky. Could be interference or sensor problems Or a common thing with MP’s but I just then switch to sport mode and bring it back.

Also consider how much more quickly the battery will drain in colder temperatures. Warm up by sitting in idle for a minute or so to warm the battery then hover for a minute before commencing your flight.

2 Likes

I might not bother with sport mode in a white-out! :wink: LOL!

But, yes, that’s one way to override sensors and one can still fly slowly. :+1:

2 Likes

I have to disagree with that one … it gets colder. There is insufficient drain on the battery to warm anything.

Somewhere I have battery curves of the voltage dropping fast (after the batteries were in my inner jacket pocket), until you are flying.

Once flying, hovering or flying about makes little difference.

As a guide to battery drain … I’ve been recycling my old P2 batteries to get some life back into them. That sits idling without switching off … and lasts just over 10 hours in idle mode.

2 Likes

Here we go ….

Top is warm day, bottom is cold day.

Difficult to see on the cold day one, but there are coloured lines all the way from the top, descending rapidly, until flying and it warms up and the voltage also rises.

(Those are from my logs, not “somewhere on the internet” - both same day - both the same battery - cold was 5am, warm was 2pm)

Edit: Both were also flying the same …. longish (:wink:) Litchi mission, too.

3 Likes

Fly indoors, or on a SIM, it counts.

North West members, I can see snow on Winter Hill :grimacing:

3 Likes

Is it called Summer Hill … in the summer? :wink:

2 Likes

We don’t have a summer in the north :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:+1:

got a quick flight in today. Bertie the drone is happy now

1 Like

Well I charged the Mavic batteries this morning with the intention of doing something a bit different for the

Went out to lunch with the wife and when we came out it was blowing a gale again :unamused:
Back in work tomorrow and the weather has the next storm coming in again so it looks like I’m out of this one again, f***ing weather :rage:

Only this current theme, not the whole challenge @MementoMori

Don’t forget there are three chances on this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes but missing the first one Rich I’m not so sure it would be worth it :thinking:
I will have to see what the next challenges are, I might have a go for fun if this bloody rain and wind ever stop.

There is a set of badges for each theme … so each theme is equally “worth it”.

3 Likes

See how this weather behaves for my next days off.
When is the next theme being announced Dave?