2020 Mixed Theme Challenge

The Grey Arrows Drone Club are pleased to announce the next in a series of Challenges!

Here’s your chance to win a super rare, exclusive badge to grace your Profile page! Haven’t heard of GADC’s awesome awards? Check out our announcement regarding Badges, Awards and Challenges.

Welcome to the ‘2020 Mixed Theme Challenge’.

The objective is simple: Enter one Photograph, Pano or Video for each of the 3 themes during the allotted two-week time window (for each theme).

During this six-week challenge, your themes are:

• Weeks 1, 2 & 3 - Abandoned
    – From 07/02/20 to 28/02/20 (amended)
    Army bases, blocks of flats, cotton mills, radio and water towers, structures, etc

• Weeks 4, 5 & 6 - Geometric Patterns
    –– From 28/02/20 to 20/03/20 (amended)
    Straight down shots that form interesting patterns (examples)

• Weeks 7 & 8 - To be revealed!
    From 20/03/20 to 03/04/20

• Weeks 7 & 8 - CANCELLED BY MEMBER POLL
    Due to COVID19

Unlike the 2019 Mixed Theme Challenge, the 2020 Mixed Theme Challenge offers the chance to win not just one badge, but one badge per theme!

Each of the 3 themes will have a Gold, Silver and Bronze winner rather than just a single winner for all of them combined as we had in the 2019 Challenge. This means you could win up to three badges during the course of this Challenge :clap:t2:

The winners of each of the three Themes will be the people who’s entries are judged (by the Grey Arrows Drone Club Committee) to be the best. The winners for each Theme will be announced at the end of the Challenge, not at the end of each theme. We have to keep you on your toes, it’s a challenge remember :slight_smile:

We have three awards available for you to win in our challenge. They are:

:1st_place_medal: 1st Place Winner - Gold Trophy

:2nd_place_medal: 2nd Place Winner - Silver Trophy

:3rd_place_medal: 3rd Place Winner - Bronze Trophy

The rules and small print for this challenge are as follows:

• You must post your entries to this thread in order for them to be eligible (feel free to also post / duplicate them in the Photos by Drone or Videos by Drone categories if you wish)

• This challenge is open from from 07/02/20 to 03/04/20 (amended), the closing date. Media posted to this thread outside of these dates will not be eligible. Your entries must have been captured between the dates of each Theme

• You must tell us when and where (geographically) the photo/video was taken and provide some information about any significant items included in the view (what it’s called: a church name, for example)

• All media must have been captured in the UK (For our overseas members, all media must have been captured in your home country)

• You must only insert one photo or video per post / reply (so we can link directly to it)

• Once your entry has been confirmed as eligible it may not be replaced or substituted for another entry at a later date

• Media must be shot using your drone while it is flying

• Videos must be a maximum of 30 seconds and may contain time-lapse and/or hyper-lapse

• Entries must be taken within the guidelines of the Drone Code

• The judges will rank the challenge submissions (without reference to one another) for each Theme

• The members whose entry ranks the highest in each Theme will be deemed the winner and that member will be awarded the exclusive 1st Place Gold Trophy. The member whose entry ranks the second highest will be awarded the 2nd Place Silver Trophy and the member whose entry ranks third highest will be awarded the 3rd Place Bronze Trophy

• In the event of a tie at any position the Grey Arrows Drone Club Committee reserve the right to declare an outright winner at that position

• If you are unsure about the eligibility of a potential entry please ask first, before going to the effort of capturing your intended subject. If you are uncomfortable asking in public you may PM any Committee member for clarity and confirmation

• The committee reserve the right to modify the rules at any time, including retrospectively to existing entries, where the committee decide there was an unforeseen loophole that has been exploited

13 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada: CONGRATULATIONS :tada: :tada: :tada:

Your winners of the Abandoned Theme are:

First Place Winner:

@JoeC and his video of Cambusnethan Priory in North Lanarkshire:

Joe wins a :trophy: Gold Trophy :trophy: badge and can proudly update his profile to display his winning status :clap:t2:

Second Place Winner:

Your second place winner is Connor @Drones-CL with his photo of Nottingham Great Northern Railway Grain Warehouse:

A Silver Trophy badge is all yours :smiley:

Third Place Winner:

Your third place winner is @kvetner with his video of the TSS Duke of Lancaster:

Congrats on the Bronze Trophy :clap:t2:

Your winners of the Geometric Patterns Theme are:

First Place Winner:

@McSteamy2010 and his photo of a Solar Farm in Bridgwater, Somerset:

Steve wins a :trophy: Gold Trophy :trophy: badge and can proudly update his profile to display his winning status :clap:t2:

Second Place Winner:

Your second place winner is @JoeC (yes, again!! :scream:) with his photo of Whisky Barrels at the Loch Lomond Maturation Site in East Ayrshire:

A Silver Trophy badge is yours too :smiley:

Third Place Winner:

Your third place winner is @lee with his photo of Daffodil Fields:

Congrats on the Bronze Trophy Lee :clap:t2:

Congratulations once again to all our winners and a special THANK YOU to everyone who took part, the weather was really against you for this one!

Got my first shot planned, looking forward to this

1 Like

4 Likes

Epic! Got me thinking… Thanks guys

2 Likes

And, it’s baaaaaaaack!

2 Likes

Locations? Planned. Direction and time of sunrise/sunset? Sorted. Suitable weather? Getting ready to pray to the great wind god!

2 Likes

You can forget this weekend, 80mph gusts forecast.

4 Likes

Gerr’in!! I does like a vertical challenge :clap:

2 Likes

Question regarding dates: are the dates for each phase of the contest inclusive? If so, there is a day’s overlap between each phase.

1 Like

Correct! :+1:

1 Like

Just to ask and confirm…Castles and the like are good for week 1&2?

Clearly derelict castles can be considered abandoned.

The “and the like” part of your question is a bit too vague to clarify here so please check before going to the effort of capturing your intended subject as it may not be eligible.

2 Likes

ADMIN EDIT: Pictures removed as Challenge starts tomorrow. Also:

So I flew out today 2.2 miles over the sea to the shipwreck I hope that’s abandoned
I will go back at low tide then you can see the deck not just the three masts
Oh and the Cree strobes are great at that distance

1 Like

silly me thought it was the 7th today

1 Like

We would like to remind members that entries must be taken within the guidelines of the Drone Code .

2 Likes

Lol… I was wondering about 2.2 miles out… I assumed @scorps chartered a speedboat and was always within 500m :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Duly noted on the drone code… Out of interest, 50m from abandoned buildings that no one owns? Does that rule still apply?

Sorry just meant Castles and similar.

Didnt want to drive 100 miles to get the wrong photo. :grin: :wink:

I’ll take ‘abandoned’ just as you meant it. Lol.

I’ll get back into my cupboard now. :grin:

3 Likes

Lol

https://images.app.goo.gl/VVgDWgdn4m85SAW66

1 Like

:joy: :sweat_smile:

I fear they might lock it and throw away the key!

2 Likes