Breaches of the Drone code

So how do they pick it up?

I believe their is a new app developed for the general public which can identify a drone and where the controller is. Providing they are in range. to allow them to report a drone and it’s controller. I might be wrong but I’m sure I saw it somewhere.

3 Likes

Yes I’ve seen that Aerospace thing that DJI announced. I can’t really see that it’s detrimental to us. Probably more handy for us that fly than the general public. I would quite like to know if anyone else is flying around before I take off. I doubt if most people will even be aware of the app but I guess there will always be the odd one who wants to to know what it is going on but if your’e not doing anything wrong what’s the problem.

1 Like

Not sure about the app but there is CHIRP which allows for a confidential safety reports can be submitted.

https://www.chirp.co.uk/

I think that is intended to be retrospective reporting of incidents is it not?

The general public are encouraged to use the police for reporting to leave CHIRP for other aviation users to submit a report.

So why bring it to the table? Lots of us are recreational hobby flyers and are confused enough :relaxed:

Because even recreational flyers can be reported

1 Like

Done to death here

6 Likes

Yes I get that in fact I would imagine if the press were to be believed that that’s the most likely report However … never mind :smiley:

1 Like

I agree, I think the idea behind it is if you see a drone over your house or estate it makes it easy to report and find the owner, but the drawback is…Does the person reporting it to know the rules regarding flying drones. Is the drone being flown perfectly legally? I can see the old bill getting fed up with Report’s of drones every five minutes, you know like they did at Gatwick. I can’t remember exactly how many were supposed to have been flying but I’m sure at one point someone mentioned a mass invasion of them.
On a similar note. I was called out to a mass trespass incident following a report from a member of public that he could see dozens of people in the trees next to the railway. Fearing a mass trespass by whatever group has a ‘beef’ at the time, they called me out to investigate, meanwhile all trains were stopped for safety. It soon became apparent when I talked to the ‘Witness’ that he was doolally totally tonto. There wasn’t any in the trees…he actually thought they were IN the trees!!
I reported this back to my control but they had already pressed the panic button and two vans of riot police were on route. The same hysteria seems to be happening over drones. And we all know how reliable witnesses the general public make, especially if they are misinformed or pure malicious

3 Likes

It’s not just the government that can be accused of knee jerk reactions then I hope you all had a good laugh about it later on after the dust had settled so to speak

1 Like

Chirp is so drone pilots in our case can report manned aviation for causing a safety issue, plus other things, It’s not for Joe public to report drone pilots.

1 Like

… reading some of the posts on here, I’m close to giving up drones. I got one to fly it and enjoy it, NOT to bloody worry about it!!!
I have yet to see a drone to hurt anyone.
Of course there’s the Gatwick Airport lot, but you never stop those anyway.

3 Likes

Yep I believe I said that the General Public are encouraged to use the police and not CHIRP.

https://www.arpas.uk/chirp-drone-and-uas-reporting/

If anyone wants to know more

correct amundo
Members of the public wishing to report drones as a nuisance, concern, invasion of privacy etc should contact the police. It is not intended that CHIRP will act as a conduit for such reporting

Don’t do that Sundowner just don’t look at the Topics that put you off!

We probably won’t look back and laugh But we might look back and think ‘What was all the fuss about’

Bouncing ideals around in conversation is just how we learn from others and I know I’ve learned tons since joining this GA forum

1 Like

It was hilarious…the cops were told by their control that he was anti police and not to go beyond his front gate until reinforcements arrived. I was chatting away in the back garden, which backed onto the railway, to this deranged man mountain who’s medication had stopped working or he was off his head on recreational pharmaceuticals, pretending to be counting ‘tree people’. A bit like Gatwick, just substitute drones and mass hysteria for tree people and recreational pharmaceuticals. Funny old world

2 Likes