Can you fly? DJI NFZs v UK FRZs and other Air Space

Moved your post (and replies) to this pre-existing thread on various airspace questions and discussions. A large amount of information contained within the above that you will probably find very useful.

I hate to say this but there must be an FAQ somewhere with all of this including examples of questions (which all seem similar to me) and the answers ā€¦

I personally donā€™t look at the DJI zones preferring NATS and Drone Safe ā€¦

DroneScene is much better

2 Likes

The only reason to is in order find out what your MA2 will be willing do in the location you intend to fly.

FRZs, etc, on Drone Scene and NATS (same data) tell you where youā€™re not allowed to fly.

DJI GeoZones tell your drone where it just wont fly ā€¦ without the faff of unlocks.

The two probably disagree as to which those areas are more often than they agree.

Drone Scene is the only place where you can see both versions of data.

1 Like

My bad ā€¦I meant drone scene!

Unless I am desperate to fly somewhere I doubt I would bother trying to unlock a DJI zone ā€¦ Iā€™ve only ever encountered 1 and it wasnā€™t an issue.

If I was commercial then that would be a different matter but I fly once a month if thatā€¦

HI, Iā€™m new to geofencing, but have been flying my DJI Mini 2 for some months now (Iā€™m retired so have plenty of time).
Iā€™m a director of Portland Works in Sheffield, a Community Benefit Society restoring an old cutlery factory. As I have a drone I was asked to have a look at a couple of chimney stacks that are in need of repair. However when I tried to fly the drone, I was told it was a no-fly zone, because of the nearby football club. DJI want me to obtain authorisation before they will unlock the drone. Iā€™ve emailed the CAA, but wondered if anyone else has faced this issue. Can I get a ā€œpermitā€ which will allow flying on non-match days?

@danensis
John, if you zoom out you will see there is a NOTAM in this area for balloon release.

Please see attached

This is active until 10/03/2021 @ 14;00

1 Like

Yes I saw that, but the message I got on the drone was about the Bramall no-fly zone.

You should be able to unlock that via a laptop, but not a mobile phone.

got to here

then scroll down to this

click on the unlock a zone, and just go through the questions.

When unlocked you go to your dji fly app, settings and unlock geo zone

Iā€™ve used it before and it works ok

EDIT

if that doesnā€™t work, then try this one

https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/custom-unlock

Sometimes they are a bit slow getting back to you

1 Like

Is there a reason it can not be done with a mobile device?

Almost everyone is flying a DJI with a mobile deviceā€¦ Its odd.

Iā€™m sure you can, but I know you can do it this way.
if Iā€™m not mistaken, and if I am someone will be along to correct me. :blush:

I ā€œthinkā€ you have to enter credit card details.

Hi, I have a question please. I have read and reread CAP722 and various forums but I would just like to try and get a definitive.

Scenario. I wanted to fly my Mini 2 over a site near Acton, London (shown on the map just above the green tree (wormwood scrubs) earlier in the year for a commercial job. But, being a Northern monkey I could not for the life of me work out whether a flight in that area was or was not within the rules.

Any experts that can give me their verdict I would be most grateful in case I have to return to the Rhombus of Doom in the future.

Maps included along with the annotation when you click on the red zone.!

Many thanks.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 16.20.33|689x424

Red zones cant be unlocked

yes, I read that, but the word MAY is what troubles me.

You should be fine but youā€™ll need to check with the prison first as thatā€™s a definite no-no and if you get too close theyā€™ll get twitchy. Other than that it looks ok to me

1 Like

It can, itā€™s just not a page format thatā€™s mobile friendly. Be prepared to zoom in and out a fair bit

If you mean the large 9 sided zone covering most of London Zone 2 - then thereā€™s a whole thread about it:

The conclusion is that you can fly there - the restriction only applies to helicopters.
Obviously within that area are no fly zones (eg central London, the heliport etc)

Red zones cant be unlocked

Not sure what you mean - there are plenty of areas marked as red zones on the map that are fine to fly in. For instance the huge London CTR. Itā€™s a red zone but the restriction is just class D - ie not relevant to normal drone flights.

1 Like

Iā€™d tried that before but seemed to go round in circles. Eventually realised that they wanted my email address and not my DJI account number. Iā€™ll see if the weather is fit next time Iā€™m at the Works.

@nathankw thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Iā€™ll have a Wade through that much appreciated :+1:t2:

1 Like

I sorted out connection problems on a DJI Spark for a friend a couple of weeks back and in the course of that found that it would have allowed me to fly where I am which is 500 m from an airport.
All my DJI stuff steadfastly refused to take off in the past. Not tried it recently and wouldnā€™t fly here anyway but will be interested to find out any changes when my kit comes out of hibernation next week. The airport is little used now so may be able to get permissions if status has changed.
Anyway but puzzled by DJI now allowing flight just with a be careful warning.

1 Like