Caution DJI TB50 & TB55 Battery Failure, CAA Aware

From what I’ve read the CAA has grounded all commercial operators of drones with these batteries.

The batteries have been shutting down in flight with drones crashing to the ground.

My last flight had very odd battery data the % reading was way out compared to the voltage readings during the flight. One of the batteries is a brand new replacement under warranty, I’d better check the rest.

Could this be the cause of this…

1 Like

I did think the same when I saw the thread, I’ve not read the links yet.

The batteries mentioned relate only to ones for the Matrice 200 and Inspire 2.
But, whilst yours was (and, thankfully, still is) an Inspire 1 … there has also been @Olid34’s strange M2P incident as well.

Since the link between the two batteries is “share similar power management firmware”, one wonders if this could be a wider problem.

Their use of the word “similar” isn’t really suggesting that other battery models cannot also be compromised.
Let’s face it, all DJI batteries have “similar power management” characteristics - and I’m sure that between drone models and battery models they don’t keep reinventing the same power management wheels.

Dear Oli,

Thanks for your detailed description.

I contacted the analysts to look into this case further and I’m waiting for the confirmation now.

I will get back to you the result as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Lydia
DJI Tech Support

1 Like

Here’s the CAA publication on this subject:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SafetyNotice2018009.pdf

I know they are a different battery, the one the Inspire went down on was a TB47 on 45 charges, I did read a while back the Inspire 2 uses the same cells, how true this is I’m not sure, I never did any research, as for the firmware I have no idea.
I know that Phantom 4 and 4 Pros were falling from the sky after a certain update, not sure which one but I never updated mine at that time and not sure if I have since.
Mind you, I thought the Inspire was fine until it happened to me, I’m just glad it happened where it was and not somewhere where it could have caused damage to someone or something.

1 Like

It’s times like this (re DJI battery failures) that the £20 quid public liability insurance fee comes in to its own.

Imagine if that happened over a public building or a vehicle? Or worse, a person? The ensuing court case(s) doesn’t bear thinking about…

Ironically I took that out with fpvuk that day before the flight it went down.

I’ve just done a search, I know some threads are old but it doesn’t boost my confidence right now :fearful:

1 Like

Not all that inspiring.

2 Likes

I see what you did there :grinning:

2 Likes

Airdata can help identify defective BT50/BT55 batteries.
BT50/BT55 Safety Alert
In the past few days there have been multiple reports of crashes with the TB50 and TB55 batteries:

BBC News - Police ground drones after reports they fall out of the sky

Engadget - Some DJI Matrice 200 drones are falling out of the sky

UK Civil Aviation Authority - DJI Matrice 200 Series In-Flight Power Failures

DJI has issued the following announcment today:
DJI - DJI Advises Customers To Fly With Caution When Using TB50 And TB55 Batteries In Drones

The affected drones are the Inspire 2, Matrice 200, Matrice 210 and Matrice 210 RTK.
Airdata can help detect bad TB50/TB55 batteries
To help with this safety issue, Airdata has developed a new alerting algorithm based on data from 6,000,000 flights, to help determine when there may be an issue with the TB50/TB55 batteries.
How does Airdata do it?
We have built a database with statistical voltage information per each battery percent level. This database is able to determine high risk batteries based on statistical deviations and data curves. We were able to verify our results with actual flights that crashed due to bad BT50/BT55 batteries.
Where can I find this service on Airdata?
When you upload a flight, we automatically scan the entire flight for these anomalies.

There are 2 ways to find this data:

1. Flight Notifications Page: Navigate to the Flight->General->Notifications page, look at the event list. You will see something like this:

2. Receive Automatic Alerts: You may configure an alert and be automatically notified when this issue occurs with any of your TB50/TB55 batteries.

An alert will be sent when the voltage drops below the appropriate voltage threshold:

• Equipment based alerts are available in Airdata’s HD 360 Pro and Enterprise plans.

Safe flying,
The Airdata UAV Team

1 Like

Link to DJI’s advisory from yesterday:

Came across this today:

Source: DJI ‘not shying away’ from TB50 And TB55 battery issue – heliguy™

3 Likes

This out today:

DJI Issues Firmware Updates For TB50 And TB55 Batteries

DJI Issues Firmware Updates For TB50 And TB55 Batteries

No updates from CAA as yet…

2 Likes

Updated to .300, batteries done and also the TX required updating too, so far the battery discrepancy that I had seems to be resolved; yet to be tested…:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

CAA finally issued an update on this yesterday:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SafetyNotice2018011.pdf

And three months later DJI finally finished their ‘investigation’.

tl;dr

The current firmware (v01.02.0301), which adds a redundancy algorithm to the battery management system, has successfully addressed the small number of early Return-To-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (AL) cases triggered by initial conservative measures DJI implemented during its investigation.

1 Like