Cinewoop as my first drone?

Thanks, this is useful. so you suggest I should get the kit first, then upgrade controllers at some point after if I need? makes sense.

and true, I never really thought about how useless DVR would be if I’m crashing about in my own house :laughing:.

Not knowing your budget, that’s a hard one to answer. For me the kit and a multiprotocol Zorro gives most bang for the buck. You get to learn the ergonomics of a controller that will grow with you and can be upgraded to ELRS for longer range flights later. It also works well for sims.
The goggles are fine for practising, and will be useful as a secondary screen when you do upgrade, for spectators.

The most important thing is to have fun, don’t worry about crashing, and learn. It’s addictive, so you’ll likely either find you lose patience and interest, or want to move on to another quad pretty quickly. The controller and the goggles will be usable with minor upgrades for your next quad too, as long as the VTX is analogue.

I don’t really have a set budget, but somewhere around £250 for everything.
The options I have Infront of me then is either buying a RTF kit like you linked me, but having up upgrade controller and goggles if I want to move on; and the other option is purchasing decent goggles and controller that will last me a while (like Zorro and ev800d), but getting a sub £100 drone to start and upgrading when I need to move on.

Both seem like good ideas, but the first option seems like less cost at the start but more overall if I wanted to upgrade, and the second seems like more start cost but saving more later by keeping the goggles and controller.

By minor upgrades, do you mean selling the controller and purchasing a better one, or upgrading parts? because if I just need to upgrade parts of the controller and goggles without selling them for new ones, won’t this be cheaper?

sorry if I worded that confusingly, but overall wouldn’t starting with decent goggles and controller be a better option, or am I confusing myself

Doesn’t matter what you get, if you get hooked, you’ll be upgrading as soon as the paycheck drops every month. A high end setup as of today is a grand for top notch everything.
Work your way up if you like it. Everything is changing to digital this and next year so go cheap for now

1 Like

The EV800D is not much of an upgrade over the goggles in the kit, and the goggles in the kit will do for other analogue quads, so you wouldn’t need to upgrade until you start to hit the limits of the goggles, which will be quite similar for both goggles.

For the goggles, better antennas is the first thing you should do, almost regardless which goggles you get.

For the controller, you can purchase an ELRS module which fits on the back of the TX and will give you more options for high speed and long range control for about £35ish. I have the ELRS Zorro and a Crossfire module with which I can control all my models, quad or fixed wing.

1 Like

Wow ok things just got a lot clearer! I didnt realise you could actually upgrade those without buying new ones!
So I should pruchass the kit, then antennas next, and then a module for the TX. Are you suggesting upgrading the Emax controller that comes with the kit, or purchasing the Zorro and upgrading that?
Also thanks for being so specific it is really helping me understand how FPV works

I honestly have no idea how “upgradable” the Emax controller is, I suspect not very.

It will be fine to use as is for a little while, to see if FPV is for you, but I don’t think it can be used with a sim. If you get on ok with the included controller, you’ll soon see whether you like it enough to get a better controller, and you can keep the Emax as a spare.

1 Like

But of course, consider other replies too, don’t go on a single recommendation.

yea makes sense, I was just wondering if you were talking about the Emax or zorro

The goggles with the Emax kit be OK… The controller not so much.

I actually bought EV800D’s and my first Tinyhawk second hand off of ebay! I did spend on the radio, and the only thing I’ve not upgraded. I’m not sure what a zorro goes for, but hear they’re a great radio, and upgradable.

EV800D’s second hand, migth be a good call. Whats a TH II cost these days? (the 3 is expensive). You will need spare propellors for any drone you get and as many batteries as you can! The TinyHawk II does 2S batteries, and works well outside BTW. My mob 7 is not 2S compatible.

1 Like

I sold my Taranis X9Plus 2019 and got the Zorro, it’s nicer to hold and has the same optional modules available for it. I liked it so much I got another one for my kids to use to fly the Moblite7 and various fixed wing models. I’m glad I made the change.

1 Like

Of course, once you get outside, crash footage can be very useful in helping you locate your quad. I’ve had to resort to this on more than one occasion. :wink:

1 Like

yea I like that idea, I dont think tinyhawks 2s are too expensive, problem would be finding them in stock probably.
I’ll have a look around on eBay for a reasonably priced set of goggles.

Hi Mate I have a couple of whoops, beta85 and a Protek25 and love them both, I use the 85 for flying round my close which makes little sound but really fast, the 25 I use for cinemograph well I will when I get my 360go2 back :man_facepalming:t3: .

25 is really noisy tbh which doesn’t go down well with folk if your out in the local park but really robust and safe.

1 Like

Just had a little look at both they look great. Slightly out of my price range but maybe I could find them cheaper somewhere. Thanks for sharing your experience :+1:

Its enough. We have both and the transporters are unusable. Ev800d is not actually that bad. Brendan agrees.

it’s the cheapest set of goggles that are acctualy worth getting I heard, that’s good enough for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Late to the party… Don’t listen to @SirGunner and take your time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: jump in with both feet and buy a 4s iFlight Nazgul5 (not the evogue as I hear they can over heat as they are enclosed) You will not regret it. As for goggles & controller, if u can afford the DJI digital route, again you will not regret that either. You don’t need to worry about binding VTX and TX as it’s all in one.
Also buy a cheap controller from AliExpress and download Steam to your PC/laptop. I think you can use DRL (drone racing League) for free. I definitely recommend using a SIM and thinking of it as a tool not a game.

Haha he is looking for a cheap Cinewhoop/Whoop but I completely agree, if he was looking for a 5" the Nazgul5 takes some beating :laughing:

Most people I know who fly with DJI FPV would still use a separate TX to get better/other control options or better telemetry.

That’s the thing, so many options in this hobby, main thing is to get something to get you up in the air.