Class D airspace?

Dont know how other NQEs operate but Ive just finished my PfCO with COPTRZ and they couldnt have been more helpful more so with the Ops Manuel.

4 Likes

Hi guys

Itā€™s been almost 1/2 a year since my last post on this topic but I wanted to give you lovely guys an update.

I did the exam in October and got 84% I am yet to do my OE but it is booked for January 22nd. Now if the weather would just improve so I can get some practise

Just a quick question. I use the NATS Drone Safe app to get info about where I fly and it indicates that the area where I live in Warrington is Class D airspace. Can I still fly my Mavic Mini for leisure up to the 400ft limit in class D without getting ATC approval. I am more than 5 miles from nearest airport (Liverpool) but I am on the flight path for runway 27.

1 Like

Moved your post over to a pre-existing thread on the subject.

1 Like

@wpbooth Thereā€™s some info about Class D at the bottom of this page too: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - About Drone Scene

1 Like

Thanks, should have checked more thoroughly before posting !! Still learningā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for that. I see the topic has been well debated and Iā€™m clear now.

3 Likes

No probs! :+1:

I thought Iā€™d post a real world example of Class D airspace to quell any fears that others may have about flying in such an area.

Below are the details surrounding Leeds and Bradford Airport. If you look to the NorthEast youā€™ll see the village of Stainburn. Just up from this village is the site of the North Leeds Model Flying Club (NLMFC), which is in the Class D designated airspace.

Up until two years ago there was another model flying club situated just by the lower right corner sign the sign for the A658. Unfortunately this club lost its flying site, not because of the location but because the owner wanted to develop the land, and the members migrated to our club.

A lot of confusion abounds around what you can and cannot do in Class D airspace due mainly in part to how the likes of Yuneec and DJI implemented their first no fly zone databases. DJI decided that all Class D airspace was a no fly zone when it came to certain hardware, such as my Datalink Ground Station on my hexacopter, making it inoperable in this area, which it is still to this day :cry::rage::cry:. Itā€™s for this reason Iā€™m a strong advocate for consumer drones not having NFZā€™s and it is up to the owner to educate themselves, and failure to do so deserves the relevant punishment. There are many instances where just relying on the DJI noflyzone database can still get you in very hot water due to its, at best, tenuous, link to real world situations. It has got better over the years but should only be referenced for guidelines and not be relied upon as a defence when things go South.

Regards

Nidge.

(I think I may have gone off topic a bit, like wandering around my neighbourhood without pantsā€¦ again)

3 Likes

I used to work as a flight mechanic at Leeds / Bradford airport.
i was only their four months , the airline went into administration.
I was gutted as i loved that job.
I once serviced the aircraft that the Grumbleweeds had just flown in on.
proper rock and roller me

Was it still Yeadon then or LBA?

1 Like

It was LBA , I worked for Capital Airlines
They had 2 x BAe 146 and 6 x Shorts S360.

1 Like

Is it possible for someone to screen shot what all the ideal Drone Assist settings are please?
I canā€™t understand why the areas in-between Manchester Airport, Barton Airport and Manchester city centre are all high risk?
It confuses the hell out of me :roll_eyes:
Many thanks

1 Like

For example, here??

The high risk areas are just that, increased areas of air traffic usually, follow the drone code and you should be ok. I concentrate more on NFZ the rest are just cautions.

DroneScene is better (I would say that), it contains all the Drone Assist info as well as member recommended places to fly

*also note that an area of Dunham Massey is National Trust ;o(

Cheers :+1::+1:

@Dun_na_nGall Iā€™ve flown in that area (Dunham Massey) so let me know if you need any further pointers.

Hi @kvetner thanks for the offer and no doubt Iā€™ll be around that way at sometime. It wasnā€™t so much just Dunham but more the fact that everything inbetween the airports and city centre were classed as high risk but not highlighted in red.
Bowden was one area I was interested in but same again, so it scared me off!
Yet say just west of Barton is OK :man_shrugging:.
I just didnā€™t get it!

I fly in the Manchester / Merseyside area all the time and just ignore the Class D airspace - low flying aircraft is the biggest risk and thatā€™s not much more common in this area than anywhere else. Iā€™ve also flown in Bartonā€™s FRZ a few times, they are very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi Martyn @ZaphodB

Iā€™ve moved your question to an almost identical question with a slightly different topic title :slight_smile:

Youā€™re perfectly fine to fly your drone in Class D airspace.

Have a read of this thread and also of: https://dronescene.co.uk/about#ClassD