Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

Well, I have an answer from the CAA…

I’m not going to post it here, because that way anybody who (correctly, IMHO) thinks that the class mark shown by the CAA here means the identical C1 marking on the Mavic 3 Classic puts it in the A1 category can continue to do so with a clean conscience.

Read into that what you will :wink:

1 Like

If we are confused, we who possibly consider ourselves reasonably expert in the matter of drones and the law, how do you think the police will cope?

They have to have at least the gist of a whole host of laws at their fingertips so that they can give a legal reason for stopping or arresting you whether the offence is multiple homicide, burglary, theft by deception, domestic violence or, worst of all, flying a Mini 3 with a fitted stobe that makes it weigh 251 grams …

4 Likes

Did they confirm that Article 42A (of CAP1789B) allows EU-approved drones to be flown in the UK until such time as the CAA get round to designating our own technical standards? And if they think it doesn’t, what was their reason? Happy to see their reply via PM if you don’t want to share it here! :slight_smile:

You are assuming a far, far more detailed reply than they bothered to give :wink:

I’ll send it over :+1:

Just share it here Joe, it’s not a secret.

2 Likes

Thought this might be applicable / useful to this topic

It really was a boilerplate template of noncommittal…

As we are diverged from the EU , we are not recognising any class marking drones yet to fly in UK airspace.

The CAA has formally provided our opinion (OID) to DfT, which will be publishing very shortly on this website (Safety policy and legislation project tracker | Civil Aviation Authority) under Rulemaking Task number 0142.
Is had been asked that the DfT extend the legacy and transitional provisions, and are waiting for the government to do this some time in November.

Once there is confirmation of the legislative wording, we will issue comms.

They don’t recognise any class marking, but that doesn’t mean we don’t default, as the legislation might be read to suggest, to recognising EASA’s recognising of class markings.

Kick it into the long grass and hope the DfT will clear things up at some point.

In the meantime, I’m back to seeing the same class marking system still published on the DroneCode website as is used for the Classic. Given that’s about the clearest any of the official updates and legislation actually is, and it’s the thing that all drone pilots are pointed to for their registration and the mandatory test, I’m taking that as my cue until something else comes along.

That said, I saw the video @Kirky just posted about the missing class marking about 30 minutes after I ordered yesterday. I’m hoping the class mark will be tucked away on the label inside the batter compartment alongside the serial number. If not, I guess it’s back to A2 CofC territory.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Joe, I was hoping it’d tell us something we didn’t know already though :confused:

That was always the case Joe, and always will be until this part changes - and this is the key takeaway that we already knew:

Roll on the next update eh.

You and me both.

2 Likes

I have heard that 22 November is the date that they will be issuing an update on the extension and further info on C marked drones.

Unverified, just heresay.

1 Like

Fingers crossed then Phil @Diveuk
Let’s hope we finally get some clarification.

Given that I can’t recall the last time we actually had an effective government that wasn’t totally focussed on their ongoing civil war, I really can’t see how the DfT would’ve been able to do anything more than rubber-stamp an extension of the existing legislation.

3 Likes

I don’t know how many working days there are left between now and 1st Jan '23, but what I do know is, there’s not enough to get everything in place by then.

Especially as they haven’t even started yet.

1 Like

I received my Mavic 3 Classic a couple of days ago and the label is on one of the front arms.

3 Likes

Love the warning label for our American friends, rotating parts that will hurt if you put your fingers in them, what other body parts will you put near :joy: that’s dji covered no lawyer involved.

Oh, we all know somebody somewhere has done exactly that… :eggplant: :hocho: :drop_of_blood:

:thinking::face_with_peeking_eye::cold_sweat::smiley: ouchhhhhh !!!

All I can say is that I will never sing tenor again…

So:

• confirmed they are extending Transition provisions (the current status quo) until the end of 2025.
  • they are going to change the regulations so that European class marks on drone won’t be recognised in the UK after the end of 2022

That means we’ll be able to fly C1 etc drones from January, but they will be treated as transitional, like everything else.

Sweet jesus they are complete fucking idiots!

See also: