Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

Amen

1 Like

So, if I have this right: the CAA specifically inserted a UK-specific clause (Article 42A) into the UK version of the EU Delegated Regulations at the time of Brexit, specifically so that we could fly EU-approved C-class drones until such time as the UK sorted out their own approval system. That was less than 24 months ago, if you’re keeping track.

The C-class regulations have been in force since the end of 2020, live and just waiting for approved drones to appear. The CAA inserted their very own clause into the regs to give themselves breathing space, allowing the regs to be exploited as soon as classified drones started appearing.

And now, it seems like they’re going to pull that back out again and leave us in limbo for another three years, stuck with the old regs while everyone in Europe waltzes happily forward.

You can, if you want, actually fly a European C1 class drone in UK airspace in sub-category A1 until the end of this year. Seriously, that’s what Article 42A allows.

Better enjoy it while you can!

2 Likes

There seem to be quite a lot of people on social media misunderstanding this as “not being able to fly European C-class drones”. That doesn’t seem to be the case: just that we can’t take advantage of their classification to fly them in the categories they are intended for.

3 Likes

I bet any amount of money you like that all this is just about a senior civil servant or minister winning brownie points with their boss. “Look, Brexit let us change the rules! Rule Britannia!” (whispers - “we’ve made them worse, but never mind”).

It definitely is, isn’t it. 100%.

Fuck me … what a shit show

4 Likes

I wonder if @CAA_User_Research still monitor their account and would like to come and make some kind of an apology for this mess? :man_facepalming:

I knew it was to good too be true did not expect anything less loada S###

1 Like

That will be a no….

Last Post
15 Aug, '19

Oh, I don’t know… I think they’re lurking

1 Like

that just means they’ve read a total of 44 minutes since they joined does it not? Last seen 3rd October 2019

3 Likes

Ah, thought it was when they last read something but you are right. Then I shall go back to my usual online position of screaming into the void.

The TL;DR takeaway from this announcement:

it has been decided that the transition and legacy provisions will now be extended to 1 January 2026

Looks like we’ll get a few more years out of this then:

Every cloud and all that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well the extension of the transitional is nice for flying self builds in the open catagories as well

That wasn’t up for ending; the rules allowed for self-builds to always fly in A3 regardless of any transition period. Basically this just shafts anyone wanting to fly a drone >250gms in towns under the new C markings… People have bought a Mavic 3 Classic on the basis of its C1 marking and now they’re stuffed.

1 Like

They did?

Without checking the regs status first?

Unless my understanding is wrong it does let you keep flying lighter ones in A1/A2 transitional though which would have ended otherwise, which for me is a big deal as it opens up a lot more coastline/beaches for me personally

I mean, it would’ve been a nice bonus for sure… but no, it definitely wasn’t why I bought it.

1 Like

The regs were clear Rich; it came with a C1 label and the regs allowed for the new classes of drone "some of which may get these classifications earlier’.

1 Like

Cap 2012 specifically mentioned <250 gm privately built and placed no legacy limitation on them. Basically Private Built drones were to be treated as Legacy forever, based on their weight.

1 Like