Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

That was Chris playing silly buggers and inserting some wishful thinking :blush:

1 Like

Hi, Ian just saw your YouTub video. Top stuff :+1:

:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down: :rofl::man_running::dash:

3 Likes

Completed the survey! I would ask for indefinite extension as Ian London suggests. Nice one!

1 Like

My submission is in. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’m in!!

Well, it is Saturday night!!

3 Likes

Just to make more people aware of this where are the best places to ‘spread the word’? As this of course applies to all UAS, therefore also RC helis and planes, etc I guess there’s plenty of places where it would be worth mentioning the link.

I “voted” that the transition period be extended indefinitely, and to that end I believe it will go on indefinitely.

As I understand it out of the 120,000 or so registered users, (around 30,000 of which are BMFA members and mainly made up of traditional model flyers), A2CofC holders are only a small percentage. If you fly using Article 16 authorisation then the class of drone is irrelevant. Similarly if you fly with a GVC qualification there’s little to no impact. So would a manufacturer go to the trouble of going through the certification process for this small group of A2CofC users? Especially as not every A2CofC holder will be flying under this authorisation every time they power on their drone.

When the transitional period was first implemented, about two years ago, it’s purpose was to eliminate drones that were believed to pose a risk when flown in close proximity to persons and property, and to provide time for legacy drones to be replaced with C marked compliant alternatives. To date there are no C marked alternatives available. But more interestingly, during these two years, there’s been no credible evidence to demonstrate that the legacy drones currently in use pose any additional threat to persons or property. I think this is a statistic the community as a whole should be very proud of.

Further I think the whole registration process will be dissolved as the revenue collected will not merit the cost of administration. We’ve seen this with dog licences and CB Radio Licences. Even renewing my Amateur Radio license, which used to have an annual fee of £15, now only requires me, and the other 80,000 or so license holders, to confirm our personal details once every five years on the OFCOM website.

I still maintain that all the legislation and bureaucracy that has been levied on the drone and model flying communities is a product of wanting to fix a problem where such a problem never existed in the first place.

5 Likes

Here Here :raised_hands:

1 Like

Without getting Political, why don’t you @Nidge write speeches for the bloody politicians in this country?

1 Like

Why?? The words polish and turd spring to mind.

I would normally consider my myself to be a-political, I voted when I was 18 and I haven’t voted for the subsequent 40yrs since. However tomorrow I will be breaking the habit of a near lifetime.

You put the facts very succinctly.

A lot of information in few words.

Politicians of all flavours could do very well by taking a leaf or two from your book.

As stated it wasn’t a political comment, just that i wish the verbose politicians would actually state what they mean and answer questions honestly. ALL politicians.

2 Likes

I’d vote for you… What would be the first thing you’d impliment once voted in? :thinking:

1 Like

I think a lot of it comes from the sudden surge in the accessibility of unmanned aircraft technologies. Model fliers have been around for a long, long time but it was always a very niche hobby with limited technology and people doing it were nearly always part of a club.

The advent of modern drone tech blew that out of the water entirely and the number of them flying, the accessibility/cost of them, and technological capabilities of them in a very short space of time created something of a panic for regulators IMO and I get why. No longer could you be almost certain that someone flying an unmanned aircraft down the park was appropriately trained by a model aircraft club on how to enjoy them safely, because you can just buy one in the Argos catalogue or on Amazon - and I get why that’s a concern.

I do see the regulations being relaxed over time, hopefully, given the safety record to date. I’m not in the camp of thinking there should be no regulation at all, but I do think that the regulations in place at the moment can be silly and excessive in places. I do think the kind of licence you get from an A16 OA from being part of a club or association is the right kind of balance from a regulatory standpoint though - it clearly lays out the dos and don’ts even if some of them are a bit tighter than I think they should be, and it gives you a piece of paperwork to show anyone like a police officer if someone does report you to show unambiguously that your activity is entirely lawful.

2 Likes

For me it would be a lie down in a darkened room, with whale song playing in the background, until the maniacal voices in my head and notions of world domination subsided. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I would raise taxes and make people work longer for their pensions. Look after the rich and shit on the working class. I would piss off as many professionals as possible so they leave the country and I’d flout my own rules… Wait, wait - that’s already being taken care of! :roll_eyes: Seriously though, I would reduce the working week… 5 days off and work 2!:grinning:

I can think of a list of things, but not really suitable discussion for this thread…except ditching the VLOS requirement. Drones capable of 10km range are wasted when restricted to 500m :confused:

2 Likes

That would be a good one. You’re right, it’s easy to slip into a different topic.

Are there any companies going to c mark their drones and if so, is there a waiting list or pre order list

There were some Holy Stone ones getting C marks a while back but they’re not legit. They have to be approved for a C rating by a standards regulatory body which hasn’t been set up yet and doesn’t even seem to be close to being set up.

The extension period is going to be substantial I’m betting. And could be re-extended if they haven’t got their crap in order. I said on the consultation the extension should just be indefinite for legacy/transitional drones as they’re not going to become unsafe overnight and will work their way out of use through natural retirement and end of life.

All of this could be blown out of the water sometime soon anyway given drone regs are on the table for the EU law bonfire and we don’t know how deeply that’s going to cut through the EASA regs we currently have.

1 Like