Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

I would be a very lonely me without those voices…Besides, they do come up with some brilliant ideas…

But they also know my credit card details and it’s getting somewhat tiresome explaining the strangely shaped parcels to my postie.

I’m new to all this and confused. Does this affect drones under 250g or is it just drones over?

Its only going to affect drones over 250g in the UK at least.
The current legacy allowances will cease in theory soon meaning an A2 drone (50m people etc) will only be allowed A3 (150m).

The rules for under 250 don’t have a transition or deadline so aren’t effected.

I think it’s two-fold here.
Firstly EASA etc are the standard EU red tape and glacially slow to implement anything at all which means there currently IS no system for a manufacturer to classify a drone.

But on the other hand, classifying will cost a manufacturer time and money. More cynically, there’s less of an incentive for users to upgrade to the latest drone if the transition period is extended indefinitely.
My Mavic 2 Pro works very well in A2 now and if it doesn’t get forced into A3 any time soon, i have no reason to spend more money on a newer, class certified drone when released.

So a short but not long transition period is in the manufacturers interests.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up :grinning:

This topic may have been covered before sorry in advance, please moderate.
I have just listened to the UAVHUB Podcast episode 1. They we’re talking about A2 cofc and the legacy drones, for the end of 2022. Saying if by the 1st Jan 2023 your drone must have a classification. From UAVHUB FAQ site. “Legacy Drone is drone that was on the marketplace in the EU and the UK before 1st January 2023 and does not have a Class marking on it** (C0, C1, C2, C3 or C4)”

They said “it has to come out of the factory with this class rating on it, it can’t be added later by a firmware update”.So if I have just been out and got my self a nice new DJI mini pro 3 at the end of the year I would not be able to fly within 150m of Recreation or commercial areas?
Am I reading understanding this correctly?

Sorry for such a long question

Moved your post to this thread that I think you’ll find answers your questions.

1 Like

No - the Mini 3 Pro is a sub 250 gram drone and on the market prior to 1 Jan 2023 - it will therefore remain a “Legacy” drone forever and will not require a Class marking. Heavier drones will become subject to Class marking and will be restricted accordingly.
Much has happened since UAVHub podcast episode 1 - the CAA are currently evaluating a possible extension to the transition end date of 31 Dec 2022 - there is a possibility it could be extended by up to 2 years. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, we shall have to wait and see if they extend

1 Like

I’ll eat my shoes if they don’t. Question is how long for, really.

There’s bound to be a subtle political pressure on them to diverge from what the EU is doing.

1 Like

The CAA have recommended extending both legacy and transitional indefinitely…

6 Likes

Perfect. And the summary of different types of comments in it reflects exactly what I said in my consultation response too. Good to see they were such common threads the CAA have taken them on board in this decision.

1 Like

Thanks for the post @Yith :+1:t2:

tl;dr version:

Let’s hope the DfT listen to the recommendation eh?

1 Like

The current government want to do things differently to the EU, and as differently as possible. I guarantee they will.

2 Likes

In a world where no-one trusts the establishment it does instill confidence to know that it was not just lip service and they have genuinely considered the views of the people that matter.
Hopefully the DfT will dutifully do the same for the CAA :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Interesting news from the CAA!

8 Likes

As long as the DfT accept it. Can’t see them going against it though.

1 Like

Glad I was one of the 4506 who participated :innocent:

3 Likes

They will. It’s a divergence from EU regs and the government has a hard-on for that.

3 Likes