Class marks delayed? - CAA consultation on extension to Legacy and Transitional UAS provisions in the Open Category

Same. I’ve participated in public consultations before but this is the first one where I feel that myself and the rest of the respondent community have been listened to as unambiguously as this.

6 Likes

Also another point. Did anyone else notice the shade towards the C marking scheme that was between the lines in the recommendation? It came across as though the CAA were inviting the government to review whether it should be implemented at all.

1 Like

For those who like me are too lazy to read the article here is the podcast link.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5jYXB0aXZhdGUuZm0vY2FhLWRyb25lLXNhZmV0eS8/episode/NzVlNmJjNWUtNWFhNC00N2M2LWJmNmItNTkzMjA3NmNlY2U1?sa=X&ved=0CAYQkfYCahcKEwiAvOuDvrL4AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

2 Likes

Seems to be a really sensible and well thought-out response. Hopefully it all goes through with DfT and we won’t have to think about adopting the C mark system until C-marked drones are available.

2 Likes

Or at all tbh

2 Likes

There’s not a lot to read … highlights below :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

TL;DR … good news :+1:

2 Likes

Certainly looks favourable for us as a community, hopefully there won’t be any law breakers spoiling it and the dft accept the recommendations.

2 Likes
7 Likes

This is good news! Lets hope it gets extended asap!

1 Like

CAA Podcast
Very interesting podcast from CAA. Provided to Department for Transport accepts the recommendations, the future looks very good.
Recommendation is unlimited extension to legacy period with a possible new period only after class marked drones become freely available.

Well this is good news if finally they extend the deadline from 31/12/2022 to beyond that. One for environmental reasons and the other Is that I can use my phantom 3 pro for longer. It’s about finding spares propellers / batteries if / when you need them.

1 Like

With this extension and what looks like the good possibility of it being open ended , I am wondering should I buy new batteries for my M2P ? I have 3 perfect batteries but do you think it’s worth buying a couple more new original ones while I still can ? I love the M2P and although I own a mini 2 and Air2s the M2P is by far my favourite and as I have my article 16 and A2CofC I could keep the M2P flying but once the availability to get new batteries has gone and my batteries get tired it’s to late .
Any advise or thoughts welcome .

Get the batteries !

you will use them :smiley:

If you love the M2P i’d get the batteries too. Can you please tell me what makes you like the M2P over the Air 2 S? I have a phantom 3 pro.
It’s almost impossible to find batteries and wondering if I should buy a used Air 2 S. Now the M2P’s used are cheaper than the Air 2S. But Air 2 S seems to have a better picture quality etc as per reviews.

It’s always good to get the perspective of a user who has both.
Thanks.

1 Like

It is obviously personal choice but for me I find the M2P is just so nice to fly , in the wind it just doesn’t care and the signal strength is amazing , you don’t get all the pointless updates with the go app and it is nicer app than the fly app , as for the camera you have adjustable aperture and it is still fantastic quality . It was my first quality drone so I guess I will always love it , I fly mostly in open countryside living in Norfolk . Down side is they don’t update the app anymore so don’t know how much of a problem that might be going forward.
The air2s is also great and I would recommend it and if upgrading it’s probably the way to go . It’s like comparing F1 cars we used to have the monstrous V engines now we have a Vauxhall vector engine on steroids , technically it might be better but it’s not the same lol . It’s all personal choice and that said I do have and use both plus the mini 2 but if you fly the M2P it is a pleasure to fly . The air2 s is great possibly fantastic but the old M2P is awesome but going forward and if it is either or I guess the more sensible choice is the air2s . Some good used on CEX and you get 2year warranty.

4 Likes

Having purchased a Mini 3 Pro I’ve been putting it through it’s paces, and have been very pleased. However, this morning I thought I should get the Air 2 out, and you’re right, it’s a lovely drone to fly, so responsive and much easier to see at a distance, or against a cluttered background.
In future, I’ll take both drones with me, and decide which one to fly depending on the circumstances.

8 Likes

The first drone I ever bought was a Phantom 4 pro + and it is a fantastic drone. I also have a M2P and love it to bits. The build quality for me is brilliant and doesn’t feel cheep, It is very stable in the wind, it has more obstacle sensors than some of the new drones and it is visible when in the sky, oh and the range is very good compared to some that seem to struggle and lose signal. I have seen the Mini 3 pro and to be honest not my cup of tea. But this is my personal choice.

4 Likes

All well and good for flying in the middle of no where

1 Like

If you have article 16 is 30 to 50 metres away really the middle of no where