Complete beginner - Kettering

Hello I am a complete beginner to drones, getting on a bit and retired, I need a new interest and fancy the idea of flying using a drone and v,r head set. The only lessons I can find seem to be aimed at people seeking proffesional qualifications, so before laying out on expensive and possibly unsuitable kit I would appreciate any advice and tips. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Colin / @oldboy … and welcome to GADC.

Lessons … indeed, most are related to gaining the professional PfCO qualification.

But, lets home in on a few things …

Firstly - where abouts in the UK are you?
(Perhaps add yourself to the Map of Members, too : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

Secondly - the type of drone you are interested in - the larger ones for photography/video or the smaller/faster FPV types (also known as racing quads).
Whilst the former certainly can be flown with FPV goggles, most do not and are easy to fly without. However, the latter are almost always flown with goggles.

Welcome Colin @oldboy :wave:

1 Like

Hi Colin. So you want to learn FPV? There are lots of people here to help. It’s the only way to fly!
Let us know where you are, and somebody close may meet up to give you a feel for it.

Many thanks for your quick response,I am close to Kettering northants,I am having problems adding myself to the members map I’ll sort that out later.I am more interested in using the drone for video and photography, speed is unimportant, I think I would be better off with a slower, stable platform than a racing quad, the fpv would be anice extra but I can think abuot that at a later date

1 Like

I’ve amended the thread title so that hopefully someone in your area will at least be able to demonstrate to you how easy it is to fly one of these modern drones.

1 Like

Thank for the reply, I am close to Kettering in Northants.I am now going back to the members map to have another try at showing my location

1 Like

Ah. I am not far away. I have 3 quads on fpv. A tiny one that is ok to crash and get flying again, a very quick one, and a slow, easy to fly one. I am available for a meet. @Njoro any chance of that field at rockingham again to help this guy out?

1 Like

If you read his reply above, Colin’s not after FPV flying … more flying for video/photography possibly using goggles. :wink:

Yeah. But I have a slow drone that will stay still with gps. but is also fpv. Just to give him a feel.

I am very very near by and am retired may be able to help, when it stops raining

2 Likes

Yeah - this weather is really piss-istant!

1 Like

I to am retired and so am available at almost anytime any help would be greatly appreciated, if it ever stops raining

1 Like

Again thaks for your reply,this seems to be a friendly helpful forum, I am retired with no commitments so could meet at your convenience if you know a suitable location

1 Like

I am in Little Cransley and use the recreation ground in Brougton for test flying it’s large enough for beginers it’s where I started, can you send e mail address or phone No so that we can make arrangements.

1 Like

Yes no problems, just let me know when…:+1:

1 Like

:point_up:
Via Private Message. :+1:

@oldboy I’m in Corby, where about are you?

1 Like

@anon2022120, @oldboy, If you’re both within spitting distance of Corby let’s get together after the rain, maybe you two could be my guest at the gliding club for some drone flying just let me know.

3 Likes

Love to. I’m available any day any time