DJI Avata FPV Cinewhoop - Rumours, leaks, gossip and general discussion

Id love to have a go with 1 they look great for filming :+1:t3:

• found this interesting
1 Like

The last thing I do when I see a video with a title like that - is watch it :rofl:

And anything that starts with, ā€œYou wonā€™t believeā€¦ā€

Ffs man, why do people do this? Itā€™s clickbait 101 :pensive:

1 Like

I donā€™t really look into things that deeply, I just found the information interesting :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Interesting video but he hasnā€™t flown it and mostly based on here say and the thoughts of others.

Would be better if he flew it

Iā€™ve been waiting to decide whether to go MM3 or Avata on release and based on real life reviews for the Avata, the only thing of interest to me is Gyro flowā€¦ :thinking:

That feature just doesnā€™t justify Ā£499 with one battery and same class as the FPV oneā€¦so Iā€™m outā€¦
was hoping for a bit more after the Dji hypeā€¦ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

But Iā€™m away down on the South Coast for the weekendā€¦ So wonā€™t be playing until Monday or Tuesdayā€¦

2 Likes

Cannot wait for your review and especially how long batteries do last :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I found this to be one of if not the best review out of so many that seem rushed.

I eventually succumbed to the FPV Drone but only because I got it at a heavily discounted price, and Iā€™m glad I did as I do enjoy flying it. Itā€™s unique enough from my traditional FPV quads to keep it in the fleet.

But the Avata? Itā€™s probably a good product but I already own a very capable Cinewhoop (Diatone Taycan with DJI Air running on 6S) with a choice of reasonable quality stabilised cameras. Itā€™s also using a Ghost receiver and the NARCO hack so range and penetration are not an issue.

Looking at the Avata from a FPV pilots perspective I consider it to be grossly overpriced, especially the batteries. I have a few 4S battery packs of similar capacity but greater performance which were a fraction of the DJI price. Again DJI Drones, and those from other manufacturers, are the equivalent of inkjet printers for the RC world as the consumables cost more than the product itself.

Looking at the Avata from a camera drone users perspective then there is some appeal. It looks like a durable product, has a reasonable camera, and is easy to fly and get good results. But most camera drone users are used to getting 20mins+ of flight time. Would they be happy getting less than 10minutes from a battery costing more than Ā£100 a pop?

Needs someone clever to come up with a battery adapter for it.

1 Like

As with most things DJI most of the battery circuit is proprietary. You would still need a BMS board. Then thereā€™s an issue with the cells. I had this problem with the FPV drone battery in that I have a BMS board but the cells in the battery are custom manufactured for DJI. In principle you could use any cell but the resultant pack would not be pretty Gerry Rigged to the the Avata.

2 Likes

00:17: ā€œSponsored by DJIā€ :rofl:

True but heā€™s presented it better than the other ā€œ sponsored by Djiā€ pundits in my opinion. Itā€™s his that helped me decide I wasnā€™t going to buy oneā€¦ā€¦:rofl:

Jumped on the bandwagon(yet again :grin:), the Avata arrived yesterday, only one bat at the mo, one word that I can give anyone that described the Avata would beā€¦FUN, and bags of it! Not really had that much time to get into the pros and cons and ifs and buts. So easy to fly, even if I was sceptical about that ā€˜motion controllerā€™ thingy you get with it instead of using sticks, itā€™s pretty great. Iā€™ve borrowed me mates controller 2, so Iā€™ll have a go of that over the weekend in manual mode. The camera is brilliant, as reviews have said itā€™s probably as good as the mini 3. Iā€™m happy :grin:, my first step into fpv (an expensive one), there will be a few gripes, but the fun of flying this little thing gives an adrenaline rush I donā€™t think will diminish!

7 Likes

Let us know what the real world battery life is like @Leylo1971 :smiley:

1 Like

Came across this about the new Dji goggles 2 fogging upā€¦.

Will do, Iā€™m taking it out for a spin tonight. :+1:. Going off YouTube, Iā€™m probably going get around 11/12 minutes ish. It didnā€™t seem that bad last night, me and me mate was razzing round in sport mode for a while, but I never got any times

1 Like

@PingSpike
Took it out for a razz around, hereā€™s whatā€™s what real world.

Wind 11mph @ 30m
Batt at 95% after launching and setting stuff
2 minutes normal mode 8m/s
Rest of flight in sport 14/s
Batt down to 17% on RTH landing.
Height wise, cutting grass for most of it until having to dodge my neighbours dog,who wanted to munch it, in which case I climbed to around 60m or soā€¦but then it became like any camera droneā€¦so headed back down to dodging trees, the neighbours dog and cutting grass :grin:. All in all, long story short, around 11m 30s. Love it. The only gripe is Iā€™ve got a big nose, and the goggles 2 arnā€™t the best fit anyway :rofl:. Is what it is.

Edit.
Video transmission bottomed out at 300m, over a slight hill/mound in the same area the mini 3 used to
Controller signal ok

2 Likes

ā€¦ mighty tall dog :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: ā€¦ sorry canā€™t help myself ā€¦ :running_man: :door:

Congratulations on your new drone - sounds like loads of fun :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like