DJI Fly App - Available or not?

I have a Google Pixel 3a Android that located and installed the “DJI Fly” app from the Google Store. I then went to install it on my Lenovo TAB4 and couldn’t find it in the Play Store (Android version is 10.1). Eventually I managed to locate the .apk file and side-load it onto the tablet. The 10" tablet may end up being a little big for my flight operations so I dug out my Google Nexus 7 tablet (Android 6.0.1). Again, the DJI Fly app does not appear in Google Play Store. I understand that version 6.0.1 of the Android OS may be a little old for the DJI software and I will try to side-load the .apk again, but I was very surprised that the Lenovo TAB4 didn’t display the app as it’s only 6 months old.

Has anyone else seen issues with finding the DJI Fly app in the Google Play Store?

Sounds like it’s being filtered out due to unknown device compatibility?

Download links:

Yep, I had to work through Android 10’s new method of allowing “Unknown Sources”. It’s installed on the Lenovo, but is refusing to install on the Nexus 7 (2013). Not sure why it’s going this on the Nexus 7, “Unknown Sources” is turned off, as is Google Play protection. Just tells me that the app was not successfully installed.

The compatibility list isn’t huge:

Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S9+, Samsung Galaxy S9 , Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy Note9, Samsung Galaxy Note8, HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P30, HUAWEI P20, HUAWEI P10, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 10, HUAWEI nova 5, HUAWEI nova 4, HUAWEI nova 3e, HUAWEI nova 2, Honor 8X, Honor V10, Honor 9, Honor 20 Pro, Honor Magic 2, Mi 8, Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, vivo NEX, vivo X27, vivo X21, vivo X20A, OnePlus 7, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel, LG V20, LG G6.

2 Likes

Having now thought about it for a bit longer, it’s possible the DJI Fly app is not appearing as available to some devices because it’s a 64bit (only) app.

I’m also quite sure that it only runs on ARM-based architecture.

2 Likes

The problem with this list is it seems to centre on mobile phones. I wonder if they have a comparable list for tablets, the 7" would be an ideal companion on the controller. Right now it seem you have to try it out in order to see if the tablet will work. Too bad if you buy a new tablet for this use only to find that it’s not compatible.

Yep, the Nexus 7 (2013) is 32bit ARM - that’ll be the problem right there.

1 Like

The Fly app was never designed for use with tablets.

If you try running it on an iPad rather than an iPhone you’ve got the old “X2” zoom button and some crap scaling :confused:

2 Likes

I’ve read itll work on a 2029 samsung tab a 8inch. Just ordered one to try.

1 Like

2019 rather