DJI Fly App - Media Storage on iPhone

I hope someone can help me with a question that has been bothering me for a while:

I am using the DJI Fly App together with a Mini2 and an iPhone 12 Pro. Does anyone understand where the storage that the DJI Fly App is using for the media files is indicated within the iPhones settings?

The DJI App itself shows me in the settings the amount of storage used within the ‘clear cache’ category (album data 35.54GB in my case). The iPhone however seems to be blissfully unaware of this and shows that the DJI Fly App is only using 7.77GB of Documents & Data (in addition to 445mb app size).

When I use the files app on the iPhone I can navigate to the DJI Fly folder where a folder ‘OriginalFiles’ seems to store all files shown in the app. Does the iPhone not take this folder into consideration?

I cannot wrap my head around this as I am trying to optimise my storage so any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe someone encountered this before? Does it make sense to delete the files from the DJI Fly app album (leave them on the SD of course for export to computer with all exif data) after exporting them to the iPhones Photos app?

In itunes all the folders and files within the FLYAPP

I’m guessing the app knows what’s on the drone and shows the full file size (35gb)
(you can only get the original files when actually connecting your drone to your phone)

Stored on the iphone itself are only the cached versions hence the smaller file size. (8gb)

Unless you do all your editing on your phone I’d just dump them and keep the OG’s on the SD/PC if its storage you want back.

This annoys me, to the point I just turned off the Photo Sync. I think there’s a new setting where you can at least turn it off also syncing everything to the photos app (If you’re new you’re probably not experiencing where your Photos album just populated straight away and if you had Photos syncing to iCloud allowed over mobile data then it ate your mobile data limit up pretty sharply.)

If I do want something to post quickly to socials or here or something, then I’ll manually download from the aircraft to the phone, otherwise I just wait until I get the laptop out and transfer everything and follow my Lightroom/Premiere Pro workflows with the RAW files.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions so far @McSteamy2010 & @firstadekit! :slight_smile:

I had indeed turned the automatic sync to the iPhone picture album from the DJI internal album off from the beginning and only do this manually for a selection. I had also turned off the cache when flying and only do the sync manually once landed via quicktransfer.

I always take the direct footage from the SD card but also like to sync them to the iPhone album since they are then backed up to my iCloud storage straight away. If I am not mistaken, it also seems like the only way to get the automatically edited quick shots out of the DJI Fly app is via the iPhone photos correct? On the SD card I only find the video files in real time.

I am also a big fan of the sphere panoramas, the DJI Fly app shows these quite nicely but when exporting via SD card/in the iPhone photo album another app is needed to display/stitch the individual shots.

My remaining main confusion is that the DJI album shows the right amount of storage:

But this does not seem to show up in the iPhone settings at all:

I am technically quite well versed and this is not creating a technical issue per se, but I just cant stand it when I dont fully understand where data is stored/how the OS is measuring the available storage but this might be more of an iPhone technicality.

1 Like

Yes that’s right, The full lenth video that it takes whist quickshots is active will be on the drone’s SD
but the edited version can only come from the app.

Welcome to modern tech, things are hidden everywhere :exploding_head:

The same with deleting apps: you can delete it but has it really gone? who knows lol. the phone recognises that you’ve had it previously so that in itself is taking up some data space.

Probably best and easier not to think to much into it and just carry on as you are doing what your doing.

1 Like

The only sure solution to your problem is to simply delete the app, and then reinstall it before you next need to use it. Once you log back it it remembers your flight stats and stuff, so all the cached stuff you’re concerned about will just go away.

Leaving it several days does seem to remove any residue that may get left behind when you instantly reinstall it.

As for panoramas, go to https://exiffixer.com/ from your phone and upload the flat version from your photo album to get the exif data back so you can straight upload it to facebook/kuula as a 3D image from your phone if that’s what you want to do. I believe choosing Ricoh Theta S as the camera model in the conversion is what people generally recommend, I’m sure someone else will correct me.

On a computer the best application I’ve used is Kolor AutoPano. There’s a really good workflow here: 360 Panos using DNGs

THe software is discontinued, but can be ‘obtained’ if you’re stuck, give me a message.

When you transfer videos to the app from quick transfer I think they are still compressed, so the only way to get the proper high quality file is via the SD.

As Steve suggests don’t get too hung up on it if you want the best pictures and footage you’ll always going to have to transfer from the SD to a computer. You can then use other methods to get those pictures from your computer to your phone if you want them in iCloud. (I’m lucky I have a QNAP NAS with phone apps, so I can easily move photos from my network attached storage device to my photo roll in a few taps. EDIT: I just brought a MacBook Pro so now it’s even easier! :laughing: )

If you’re only doing Social media stuff, then you can probably get away with the app versions.

3 Likes

Perfect, thank you very much for all the help and great details. I am very happy I joined this forum already! :smiley:

I will definitely check out the two links @firstadekit!

1 Like

Just to clarify. By remembering your flight stats, I should have worded that better to say it re-syncs from your login from the DJI cloud. Rather than the phone remembering stuff after deletion.

1 Like