DJI (Mavic) Mini 2

These appear to be actual flights. I took a look at one, which is just inside the FRZ (although permission can be obtained) The mission has been filmed and placed on YouTube.

This was four years ago, before the current DtoneCode.

Looking at the heights involved (most waypoints below 50metres0 and the fact that the flights are over a congested area I would suggest that this may be a person of interest to the drone police. Or a PfCO holder who has satisfied all the conditions in order to get this flight authorised.

Who knows?

:policeman: :policeman: :policeman: :airplane:

Wasnt the the FRZ increased to make them larger? If the flights took place 4 years ago maybe back then it wasn’t within the zone but due to the increased size it is now within the the zone?

Quite possibly the zone was smaller. More concerning is that the flight i looked at closely is mostly under 50m over a congested area (Churchill Park Estate, Hounslow). When did the 50metre separation rule come in?

Meanwhile, back in the DJI Mini 2 thread… :blush:

Yep you are right sorry about that.

Well the Mini 2 finally arrived from DJI today. Looks great and I can wait to get it in the air.

Bit of advice from you guys who are used to dealing with LiPo batteries please. I charged all three batteries today in readiness for the inaugural flight but just how long can I leave fully charged batteries ( just in case weather stays poor) without use and then how do I discharge them if I can’t fly. What is a safe level to store them at? Didn’t have this issue with mini 1 so it’s a bit new to me.

I’ve ordered some LiPo bags as I understand that the batteries shouldn’t be stored in the aircraft or the charger.

I would assume they would be smart batteries like the MA2 where if not used within a couple of days they will self discharge down to storage voltage on their own. If not you should be able to use the charger (if you got the fly more combo that is) as a usb power bank and just attach a phone or iPad to charge to take some charge out of the packs. Keep them at about half capacity.

3 Likes

The Mini 2 LiPos are intelligent batteries mate, they’ll auto-discharge themselves after five days of no use.

Source: DJI Mini 2 - FAQ - DJI

2 Likes

Thanks @PingSpike and @DeanoG60 that’s really helpful. I did get the combo as I think it’s better value.

The Mini 2 feels as though it’s a more quality build than the first version, which I should sell I suppose. Might keep a couple of batteries though given they fit the 2.

1 Like

They fit fine, but are heavier than the Mini 2 batteries, so will tip you over the 249g limit.

Which may or may not be a problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know many police officers who carry scales while on the beat :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Doing my A2 C of C this week so I guess that gets me round the weight issue. I have my flyer and ops IDs anyway from last year and just renewed.

1 Like

Not really - it takes the drone into the C1 class with no intentional flight over people. Under 250grams and it stays in C0 class and flying over uninvolved people is acceptable.

I’ve even labelled my Mini 1 with my OP ID even though technically I don’t need to. But again I wouldn’t worry too much about where you can and can’t fly as long as you are sensible and avoid FRZ I fly by the moto Fly first apologise after by that point you’ve already obtained the footage/photos you intended so you can happily say your sorry and you won’t fly there in the future :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Er actually I carry mine all the time because you just never know.

1 Like

On a thread related note I just got my Mini 2 (named him “Goliath”) just the other day and wouldn’y you know it wind and rain have pretty much blown me out bar a couple of get to know you flights. FDirst impressions…I love it, great camewra and great looking too. And it’s so tiny!! This is now my default travel machine and a vital spare for the commercial work should it be needed. Footage and such lie will obviously be forthcoming as soon as I can get him into the sky.

Will still be able to fly in built up areas and within 50m of uninvolved people though as far as I have read if the Mini is overweight with non standard batteries.

Obviously a bare mini 2 with original batteries gives me much greater freedom and my main reason for doing the C of C is potential to go for a bigger drone with a better camera. May wait for the CE marked kit to come on the market though.

1 Like

For sure - just wanted to make sure you realised that over 250 grams the Mini goes into C1 class - and who the hell is going to know :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :joy: :joy:

I did the A2 CofC so I can keep my Mavic 2 Zoom in the A2 Transitional category ie a bloody sight better than A3 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

2 Likes

“Oh I’m sorry officer I didn’t realise that it was over weight as look it says 249g on the side? So I don’t know why its showing 253g on your scales. Have you calibrated your scales recently?”

:grin: :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Surely black paint isn’t heavier than grey officer.

2 Likes