DJI Mavic Mini disappointment?

And what is wrong with cyclists? I’m a cyclist and that allows me to take my ma2 with my to spots where I wouldn’t necessarily get to either on foot or car. I say + for cycling. It’s a great combination with a portable drone :smiley:

1 Like

When I first thought about buying a drone I had to think when and where I would be flying it.
As a keen cyclist I thought the mini would tick all the boxes after reading and looking at various reviews.
In the end I decided to get the ma2 as it is a little larger so hopefully will handle a stronger wind especially as when I do go out cycling it always seems to be windy.
It does pack away nice and small and the combo bag I got without fits nicely in my backpack along with lunch and plenty of drinks for a few hours. So far I have been really happy with it. Yes I do occasionally think the mm might have been a quicker setup and easier to pack, but if I did want to try it I could always look into getting a second hand one at a later date.

I am sure the mm is perfect for most people and will get great results if use within it’s limits. Same with any I guess. No one can tell anyone which piecee of equipment is best for them. You have to come to your own conclusions

1 Like

Well I think main reason people are selling it is cause they realised they want more and now want to spend the money to get to pro level kit. I love my mini never had any issues I have flown it in adverse conditions had a seagul attack it mid flight above sea the mavic mini bird still managed to get balance and lift up before it hit the water and came home. Also big benefit is when flying to other countries no hassle cause its under 250g, at airport security and checkins however taking anything above 500grams is another story which i dont want to remember lol. So depends what ur after mini is not designed for gale force winds but i managed to fly it in adverse conditions and brought it home in torrential rains. It is a toy after all you have to play :wink:

1 Like

Just out of interest, do you know if the tracking mode on the M2P, for example, is that a feature of the DJI Go 4 software or something built into the drone?

Obviously the MM doesn’t have the same avoidance sensors as the M2P but wondering if things like the intelligent modes are simply triggered by the app software or actually performed by the software, hence Litchi potentially being able to do tracking as I assume you’re suggesting?

I believe the tracking is a combination of drone processing and the app (based on using DJI Osmo mobile which has very good tracking).

Based on that I’d say the processing power of the Mini probably isn’t up to it in the same way the more ‘advanced’ Mavics are.

Also I see it as a feature that DJI purposely leave out on the mini and air series, otherwise who would they sell the Pro range to ?

Oh I do see why they’ve not included it - it all adds cost (and weight). If the Litchi app does anything like remotely half decent tracking, I’ll be happy with that. I’ll use my M2P for anything serious! Who knows, DJI may bring out some firmware updates that offer this or something similar, same with RAW images! Another “would be nice to have”. Doesn’t matter at the end of the day, I bought it for what it is.

:point_up_2: this.

£ for £ probably the best DJI product there is (if bought new)

DJI have to be careful to keep the Mini less capable than the MA2 which in turn has to be less capable than the Mavics - and the new, rumoure Mavic £. It is pure commercial sense.

They do that by either omitting or not activating features. When the v2.0 of their NAZA flight controller came out some miscreants discovered that they could use the firmware for that to upgrade their much cheaper NAZA Lite controllers.

Similarly, years back, IBM sold room sized mainframe computers. A processor upgrade to virtually double the speed was a bargain at around $50,000. The IBM engineer would arrive, get the machine shut down and usher all staff away from the computer cabinets. He then opened his tool case and probably got out his sandwiches, a bottle of Mountain Dew and the latest Ray Bradbury novel. After reading three or four chapters he would open the back of the CPU cabinet, move a jumper which removed a processor wait state, closed the cabinet and went to find the computer operators to tell them the upgrade was done and they could begin the reboot process.

I think DJI operate in the same smoke and mirrors manner out of commercial necessity

2 Likes

This guy is testing out tracking with the Litchi beta app. Doesn’t look great, but still early days I guess.

Henrik does some great videos

As I’ve said I think the Android Litchi is better than the iOS flavour (so far)

1 Like

He does indeed. I love his enthusiasm.

If your drone supports the feature the software will show the options. Its more to do with the cpu if it has enough power to process the algorythms. This is why the same fly software does not shos that feature if flying mavic mini

lol your not wrong! Just call me Baldrick!