Drone and Model Aircraft Code: updated for 2021

But looks like an Operator ID is needed for sub 250g with a camera (all those Mavic Mini’s and Mini 2’s)

3 Likes

I do not think that is new - might be wrong…

So, which rules apply now? When I can legally, I’ll be taking a 360 with a Mini 2 directly over my house. I get the whole thing about distances, crowds and especially photography which is covered by plenty of laws already.

Looking forward to YouTube in the new year when word spreads about the new rules. It’s not as if there’s lots of droneunsafe videos already :joy:

2 Likes

Hi all.

Jusat found this document being discussed on a well known Social Media site so decided to have a read of the full document here: CAA CAP 722C (PDF)

If I’m interpreting this correctly, as well as applying to councils, its a rather large :fu: to the National Trust and their no fly policy providing you take-off/land with permission from private land and follow the relevant regulations.

Having previously had this discussion with a representative of the NT and having to bow to his “knowledge” because at the time, I didn’t know better, if I’m interpreting this correctly (the same as many others) I’m quite looking forward to next time I fly over NT land and end up having the same little chat again.

Might be worth printing this out and keeping it with your flight gear to be able to show any “Karens” or whatever the male equivalent may be :thinking:

Cheers
Phil

4 Likes

Hi @Phil-S moved your post to here, same question already being discussed,

2 Likes

This is definitely the old one, not the new one coming into effect.

Yeah that was my point (hence the facepalm underneath it).

1 Like

I spoke to the CAA on Monday, and they confirmed that the new code doesn’t come into place until 1st January 2021, even though the new code (and associated theory test) are published.

3 Likes

Did you ask them why they published the updated rules on their website with nothing to state that they aren’t actually the rules yet?

1 Like

And did they explain why the rules are coming in 1st January 2021 when the actual regulations document says it comes in on 31 Dec 2020?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_impl/2020/746/oj?mc_cid=5dc13ff3a9&mc_eid=c4262ed76a

2 Likes

They told me that we are in a transition period, and as the new code come into play very soon, anyone taking the test would be using the new code, as the Flyer ID remains valid for five years.

I agree though, that there should be reference to the start date on the website.

2 Likes

They didn’t, they just said that the new code starts on 1st January.

2 Likes

So no flame-throwing “Murder hornets” as they seem to be OK with across the pond?

So I sent a tweet to the CAA to confirm when the new regs come in and they replied
“The changes happen on 31 December”

They said they’re updating their website with the new rules and also that they’d be emailing all 150,000 registered drone operators soon.

So it’s weird that they told @Eug the rules come in 1st Jan but have confirmed to me it’s 31st Dec.

1 Like

Just had a look at their website:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Flying-in-the-open-category/

And there are indeed a whole load on new factsheets.
Flying for fun CAP2003

Flying as a hobby and at a club CAP2004

Using a drone for work CAP2005

Flying in the countryside CAP2006

Flying in towns and cities CAP2007

The difference with the new 2020 regulations CAP2008

Am downloading now!

1 Like

Don’t they change at 12.00pm on the 31st December. Then become effective from that time onwards, which will be 1st January 2021?

2 Likes

I specifically asked about that and asked which set of rules would apply on the day of 31st Dec itself.
They replied “The changes happen on 31 December”.

Whilst their reply could have been a bit clearer, all of the info says the rules apply from Dec 31st. I think people have just assumed that because midnight of the new year seems logical but there’s no evidence to back that up.

This factsheet makes it clear:

It’s headed “Old (Pre 31st Dec 20) and New (31st Dec 20 onwards)”

So the old rules apply on the 30 Dec
So the new rules apply on the 31st Dec

ie the rules come in at midnight but on the midnight at the start of the 31st dec not the one at the end.

5 Likes

I just got that email :rofl:

4 Likes

After 1 January 2023, you can continue to fly a ‘legacy’ unmarked drone in the following categories:

• Privately built drones below 250g can continue to be flown in the A1 sub category.
  • All other drones must only be used in the A3 sub category.

So having a non CE marked Mini 1 or 2 still puts you in the ‘Legacy A3’ category after Jan 1st 2023?