Drone and Model Aircraft Code: updated for 2021

That’s what that part sounds like.
But if you look at the table here:

it’s more reassuring.

Under A1 it has “legacy (on market before 1 Jan 23) / <250g flying weight = No Operating Date limitations”

2 Likes

Ah I see. This is getting complicated lol its like they don’t know their arse from their elbow :rofl:

Considering we’re only now getting details on the arrangements that start in 2 weeks time, I expect we’ll finally find out exactly what the post transition rules are in Jan 2023, 2 weeks before the end of the legacy period!

1 Like

I think that’s a safe bet Nathan

The guy I spoke with must just have been wrong, I said 31st December, and he corrected me. I think I’ll just abide by both codes on 31st.

Am I right as interpreting the “Flying in Towns or Cities” as basically saying you cannot? I mean, good luck finding anywhere that’s more than 150 metres horizontally away from parks, industrial, residential and built-up areas…

I read somewhere ( amongst all the reading) that the time is 11pm on 31st Dec for all the new rules to come into force

I think the biggest thing for all us little people is having to register.

Mavic Mini and Mini 2 need operators ID. Already had mine but now the missus has it as well.

For larger drones that’s pretty much true (as now).

But <250g (ie DJI mini and mini 2) the 150m doesn’t apply.

1 Like

No, 11pm on the 31st is when the CAA takes over from EASA as the responsible body.

The EASA rules come in on 31st Dec itself (ie they apply from that date) including in the UK.
So that’s the date that matters for us.

For Info

Unmanned Aircraft: CAP 2013 – ANO amendment guidance

This document covers the unmanned aircraft related articles within the Air Navigation Order that will remain relevant after the 31 December 2020 amendment.
It provides an outline of the revised regulations as they now appear in law and supplements the information provided in CAP 722 regarding the new UAS regulation package that becomes applicable from 31 December 2020. It replaces CAP 1763.
CAP 2013 is available for download from the CAA website.

SW2020/282

1 Like

Loads North of Watford.

2 Likes

Just to clarify only one person (the owner) needs the operator ID (which is the one you have to pay for).

Each flyer needs a flyer ID (which is free).
Though I think with the Mini / Mini 2 you don’t actually need a Flyer ID - only the operator one.
See:
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements

But it’s worth getting it anyway as it’s easy to do and doesn’t cost.

3 Likes

Absolutely true.

Missus has her own drone so now she has an ID, that wasn’t needed previously.

I have a Mini 2 but previously had a >500g Holystone hence my ID.

Just scroll back up to this post where I’ve linked to summaries of what will happen for a number of popular drone models both from January 2021, and then from January 2023:

1 Like

Ah thanks. It almost sent me to sleep trying to read it all!

This one is the most misleading as it suggests you can only fly a >250g drone in an urban area under the Specific category, it makes no mention of the option to fly in the A2 subcategory. I’ll bet there will be bucketloads of people confused by the new rules, including the Drone Police.

1 Like

You must be the luckiest person alive to have avoided the last year of discussion about this!

2 Likes

No.

You can:

• Fly sub-250g flying weight drones in sub-category A1 inside urban areas and close to/over people
  • Get an A2 Certificate of Competence (going rate around £99 for training/test) and fly larger drones up to 2kg in sub-category A2 inside urban areas but not close to or over people
  • Get a GVC qualification and an Operational Authorisation from the CAA and fly larger drones than that in the Specific category inside urban areas and close to/over people (depending on the details of your OA)
  • Join FPV(UK) and fly a drone inside an urban park, subject to carrying out a risk assessment
  • Maybe some more I’ve forgotten about!
3 Likes

Yeah just read this one, I’m getting confused by the minute. My understanding was you can fly in an urban area in the A2 category if you have the A2 CofC cert, but not closer than 50m with a legacy drone. Is this correct?