Drone and Model Aircraft Code: updated for 2021

In a nutshell, yes. Not closer than 50m to people horizontally with a legacy drone, but you may be able to amend that to a bubble (i.e. 50m in any direction) if you are a member of FPV(UK) and able to apply their new Operational Authorisation.

2 Likes

Noooo :sob:

Got no problem with it. Heres my ID
I am sensible, I can fly wherever (pretty much)

CAA finally updated the Drone code - Dronesafe web site this afternoon.

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

So if I read this straight. I can now legally fly my Tiny hawk freestyle, fpv style, up and down my street if I put my op id on it, have an observer next to me, there is no more than 999 people outside in the street, and I am safe about it?
It was a drone that was purchased, but later modified. Itā€™s well under 250g.

1 Like

From the CAA point-of-view, so long as that is done safely, sounds fine to me :ok_hand:

But you could possibly be done for obstruction of a public highway, creating a public nuisance, disturbing the peace, reckless endangerment, wanton or furious driving or racing, not wearing a hat, breaking the Public Health Act of 2087, stepping on the cracks in the pavement etc.

Some of those are actual laws, some not, but would the police let you just carry on? I seriously doubt it.

5 Likes

No chance mate Iā€™ve seen your videos :rofl:

2 Likes

I wonā€™t have a patch on the Irish family over the road :rofl:

1 Like

giphy

1 Like

tenor-1

2 Likes

The rule defining crowd is different. In @notveryprettyboy scenario, you canā€™t fly over a crowd where there isnā€™t adequate space for them to get out of the way of the drone. That could be 10 people, or 999.

3 Likes

almost there for Jan regs. Hope everyone is now clear what they can fly and where!!!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/6hl5gvHAh3A

1 Like

Here are the new rules

https://mailchi.mp/045f37696d1f/update-on-new-uk-drone-and-model-aircraft-rules-and-registration-renewals?e=59f69a6c2c

1 Like

This is a waste of time
CAP 722: Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace - Guidance
Itā€™s in the title, there are ANOā€™s etc. that are legal requirements. Not some guy who spreads incorrect information on YouTube.etc.
It is not a defence to say itā€™s on ā€œ???ā€

Iā€™ve put together an updated summary setting out where you can fly your legacy or unclassified drones (no point worrying about classified drones until any are actually available). It includes a few drones that I missed last time, and also now covers self-builds.

Iā€™ve updated it to refer to the latest guidance from the CAA. If thereā€™s a drone missing you think should be included, let me know. If Iā€™ve made a mistake (very possible!), also let me know.

Legacy drone open categories.pdf (167.3 KB)

The most useful chart from the CAA is available here:

10 Likes

again @kvetner
Iā€™m trying to get through all 238 pages (@PingSpike :rofl: ) and also understand the levels of training mentioned on CAP 2012 chart.
My understanding on the levels of training is:

• User Manual: read the online manual
  • Online Training: Read the Drone Code
  • Online (foundation) Test: the 40 question Drone Registration Test (DMARES)
  • Self practical training: unsure what this is?
  • A2 CofC: additional 1 day course and test at an RAE (formerly NQE)

Either way, focusing in on your extremely helpful chart. I canā€™t see a reference to C1 models under 900 gms (say the Air 2 at 570 gms) versus C2 models >900 gms (say the 2 Pro at 907 gms).
Looking at the CAP 2012 chart, there is a big difference.

Sub 900 gm models like the Air 2 can fly in A1 areas with no intentional flight over people, whilst over 900 gms means you must still stay in A3 and stay 50m away from uninvolved people & 150m away from any residential / commercial / industrial / Recreation areas (which pretty much relegates the 2 Pro & Zoom to open countryside only).

Is this right? If so, itā€™s a fairly big distinction for all Zoom & 2 Pro users versus smaller drone usersā€¦

If existing 2Pro & Zoom users want to fly in A2 areas, then not only will they need the A2 CofC, theyā€™ll also need Self Practical training, but I canā€™t see any details on what that actually isā€¦

(Cheers again
Ian

1 Like

This is the reason I did the A2 CofC course. I have a M2P and yes I still need to stay 50m away from uninvolved people, but I can fly in residential / commercial / industrial / Recreation areas.

2 Likes

How hard is that going to be though ;o(

1 Like

My thoughts too, you may start off more than 50m away till they all come over to see what you are doing lol. I think Iā€™ll continue with my crack of dawn flights, not many people about then.

2 Likes