Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

And 2.8 million a year to run it? Seriously?

Usually, the problem is higher up the chain from a coding perspective. If the requirements are poor, and unchallenged, a software engineer will just churn stuff out.

Very few SW engineers, these days, will actually challenge a requirementā€¦ above their pay grade.

All these frustrations and exorbitant costs could be eradicated very quickly and easily.

1 Like

Yeah, to be blunt, thatā€™s a fucking joke.

And that, perhaps unsurprisingly, wasnā€™t a joke.

In a recent/former life I spent two decades working in IT (still hold a current FBCS CITP) and itā€™s a safe bet I could have contracted it out for under Ā£25k p/a, or gone overboard and hired actual staff to manage it, plus suitably scalable infrastructure costs, for under Ā£100k p/a.

All those in favour of GADC entering the tender process when itā€™s up for renewal?

:raised_hand:t2:

And yes, weā€™d even let you keep the same OP-IDs each year you renew too, as thatā€™s not rocket science either :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

If the same GADC members who are responsible for DroneScene are involved then yes - deadly serious - you could do well. But if the lowest tender was 750k and the winner was getting on for three mill donā€™t sell yourselves short. Go in at 500k or so and use the profit wisely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the Winner obviously knew the right palm to grease

like every governing body nowadays full of people with jobs that donā€™t really exist!
all wanting a piece of the pie

1 Like

Same hereā€¦

Iā€™m staggered at the amount of money wasted on IT projects by governments, authorities etc. Basically, any organisation thatā€™s funded by the tax payers.

3 Likes

Hi.
Iā€™ve had a basic search around for this but canā€™t find anything on the CAA site.
If you own multiple drones do you need separate operator ID on each one. Iā€™m assuming not as itā€™s called an operator ID and not drone ID.
I was challenged about this today when discussing another purchase. Cheers.

I moved your post over to the thread that covers pretty much everything that relates to DRES ā€¦ including Operator IDs.

As you anticipated - the Operator ID is just that ā€¦ irrespective of how many drones that operator has to which he attaches the same Operator ID number.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Do tell ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I was looking over a mini and air2 that were for sale. The chap was quite insistent if I was keeping the Pro (which I am) that I needed to register it separate. I politely explained it was called an OP ID but he was so adamant and sincere he actually had me sat in the car checking this when I left.

2 Likes

Ah, got you ā€¦ so a private sale rather than a shop?

1 Like

Yes. Sorry should have been more descriptive in the last post.
He is moving to Canada and feels that their laws will be too much for him so selling his gear.

2 Likes

He may have been totally incorrect about the Operator ID ā€¦ but, from what Iā€™ve read, he is equally correct about drone flying in Canada.

Alllllll that empty space there, too. Baffling,

1 Like

No apology needed; was just half-expecting it to be somebody from a well-known electronics store giving out the same level of advice on drones as they do on the PCs they sellā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Yes I had a quick look at their laws and from what I glimpsed through it looks like a minefield.
They definitely have gone down the law route to deter flyers.
You have to be conversant with virtually everything an aircraft pilot knows as well as carry comms gear for contacting relevant ATCs, air maps flight plans the works.
As you say shame as the country is beautiful and there are vast areas where you probably hardly see a soul for days on end.

2 Likes

They used to have quite large badges that said

PCWORLD
THE COMPUTER SUPERSTORE.

I recall someone getting in a lot of bother for pulling a prank on a female colleague.
He made a label up and stuck it over a normal badge.
It read,

PCGIRL
THE COMPUTER SUPERWHORE.

took a day for anyone to notice.

I just did (and passed) my DMARES or UK flyer ID and operator ID test today.

Turns out that it has now gone from 20 questions to 40 questions!

Still multiple choice though, and it looks like flyer id is now free but operator id is still Ā£9 per year.

It confused me as I was expecting 20 questions!!!

5 Likes

Hiya total newbie
I have an operators Id and flyers id, I took it at the same time even though the drone is under 250g.
My question is if a friend is with me and wanted to try to fly my drone, can they do so because I have the Id. Or because it has a camera have they got to have one to. :thinking:
Thank you guys/gals :blush:

Moved your post to this thread that covers pretty much everything about the legal requirements of Operator IDs and Flyer IDs.