Drone pilot pleads guilty to endangering historic aircraft

Wow, 3-5 miles ? Yet the CAA allow a separation of civilian aircraft of only 1000ft horizontal and vertically ?

1 Like

High speed aircraft unable to comply with standard rules of the air is significantly different to aircraft operating under IFR with radar coverage, RVSM rated systems, triple redundant navigation systems, highly trained crew and everything else.

The airshow NFZs apply to all aircraft not involved not just drones.

Absolutely nothing in common at all with each other. Entirely different situations and profiles.

2 Likes

What’s drone scene? An app? Got a link?

Aww come on gnirtS, I’d hardly call my mini 3 a high speed aircraft. And I very much doubt whether a historical Hurricane has radar or any IFR equipment on board :wink::wink::wink::wink:

More info Here

1 Like

Its a web app, click the burger menu next to your avatar top right of this page and you can access it from there.

but for ease its:

and all about it here:

2 Likes

Why are you calling a mini 3 a high speed aircraft?
A WW2 fighter pulling aerobatics most definitely is.
Hence the danger zone.

“IFR equipment”. You mean a compass, horizon, VOR/GPS and standard instruments combined with a transponder? Of course it does. Why wouldn’t it?

But utterly utterly irrelevant.

You have a Hurricane operating in such a way its unable to comply with the laws of the air and adequate deconfliction so therefore needs a safety bubble around it. Just as there is for any airshow.

You dont allow drones or other aircraft to fly around inside that protective bubble due to the risk of collision.
Any aircraft entering that bubble creates a dangerous situation and a collision risk.

1 Like

It was within visual distance of the Hurricane pilot near it’s wing. Observers and police then traced the operator and confiscated the drone and pulled the data.

The only responsible thing that operator did was plead guilty. Doesn’t take much to check drone scene/altitude angel/NOTAM info. Everything is a click away

If he had sound judgement in the first place he wouldn’t be in the situation of entering a plea.

1 Like

But clearly he didn’t have that on the day, he probably took some sound advice from his lawyer to do a guilty plea for the most lenient outcome.

CAAs take on this:

Could be a large fine being imposed here. One guy flew over the Nuke sub builders at Barrow restricted area ( think he pleaded fly away…). and still got done for over £3K (inc costs),:blush:

Setup the area you’re interested in and get daily email updates and/or use the RSS feed it creates for your bespoke area.

I shake my head whenever I read articles like this, knowing it’ll probably result in future further restrictions for the majority who fly safely.

Here’s another one:

Terrifying pilots still don’t know to check notams.

1 Like
1 Like

I have had a quick look at this CAA site… It covers many subjects.
I am making no attempt to justify the actions of the drone operator, as he/she obviously has no consideration for others or the damage that is done to the whole recreational drone users reputation and standing… not to mention the amount of ammo handed on a plate to the anti drone community.

However, one thing that stands out is the amount of coverage given to the Drone OP compared to the convicted commercial helicopter who was flying without a valid licence, and forged his credentials.

Easy targets

The media love to sir up a good negative Drone story, I’m gunna have a wild stab in the dark at the reason why.

I think because they use drones a lot more now in mainstream news bulletins that they are trying to get recreational drone use banned, Just so they can get that exclusive view that your average joe just can’t. All to make their media more appealing.

#tinfoilhat :rofl:

2 Likes