Drone pilot pleads guilty to endangering historic aircraft

I doubt it, most media drone photos & videos I see are taken by Joe Public who gets a mention or pay for it to be used. Cheaper than having their own drones.

1 Like

YappApp in my area is fascinating - watching the ā€˜rulesā€™ flaunted on thereā€¦

On Twitter too

1 Like

Does anybody know if the plane was flying or on the deck when the encounter happened?

ā€œreportersā€ probably isnā€™t the word Iā€™d have chosen to use.

1 Like

Some of these Airprox reports make interesting reading. This is another report from the same document that article was based on:

Full document can be found at:

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/Documents/Download/1938/80fceb88-4fb1-4324-a296-c7d24b78e59e/2825

Many, many reports of drones being sighted passing within metres of aircraft travelling at altitudes above 10,000ft at speeds of hundreds of miles per hour. Oh to have a pilotā€™s eyesā€¦

1 Like

Just a coincidence the CAA very recently thought they needed to remind everyone of the VLOS rules?

1 Like

I like the flying spinning silver chimney top no props just spinning top

The dumbest thing is assuming the A320 was stationary at 10,000 ft (3,050 m) it would take my Mavic almost 13 minutes to get to that altitude. Not to mention there is no way I could time the intersection of the flights. Then there is the RTH function. Some things are simply too improbable to believe.

SMH :yawning_face:

2 Likes

PILOT: ā€œWas that a Weather balloon, maybe a Chinese fire lantern, or more like a little green man in its UFOā€ :thinking:.
CO-PILOT: ā€œnah mate sounds ridiculous lets put it down to a drone. Theyā€™ll believe that!ā€ :shushing_face::grin:

1 Like

For those of us that donā€™t believe in fairies at the bottom of our gardens, this translates to being a mylar party balloon.

You leave my fairies alone :joy:

1 Like

drones have mystiqueā€¦ everyone is curious about the UAVā€¦ who owns it, what are they doing with it, why are they doing that with it, do they have permission to do that, who gave them permission, are they being pervy with it? it makes for an interesting story.

helicopter pilot flying without licence is like driver driving while disqualified or below legal limit joy ridingā€¦ no story there!

do we really think that a hurricane was at risk from a hobby scale drone ā€¦ seriously! I am thinking here sub 500g Vs military ww2 propeller engine plane.

yes itā€™s wrong to have it in the air if there is a notam in force plus if the drone is flying over crowds of people (and itā€™s an AIR SHOW / DISPLAY!!!), but looking at the RAF website on this (I was actually looking for the drone footage/ footage of said drone near miss) and
it states
" the RAF (and others) regularly carry out low flying operations across the whole country up to 100ft and helicopters lower)

great but if they donā€™t use transponders and donā€™t issue a notamā€¦ how is the crystal ball supposed to work if the RAF (and others) regularly fly at 100ft (and lower) across the WHOLE country!

if million Ā£Ā£/$$ or billion Ā£Ā£/$$ military jet brought down by sub 500/250g Ā£600 drone maybe the military are buying the wrong tech and should just be buying swarms of drones to cloud airspace and bring down enemy aircraftā€¦ forget your 4th and 5th gen fightersā€¦

if you are really interested in air accidents and near misses then there is some interesting ones here that would be real news worthy

8 or which involve ā€œdronesā€ although they are all being used in military applications (being shot down or destroying something Ukraine, Iraq etc), no UAV listings. yes itā€™s serious but put some perspective into itā€¦ and decide if itā€™s news worthy. probably more news worthy that man found dead in undercarriage at Gatwick 22/12ā€¦or 9 injured as hot air balloon crashes TWICE in Alps 12/11ā€¦ once should have been enough to ground said balloonā€¦ twice!!!

1 Like

Reminds me one time went to Chesterfield Bando, and we were setting up (checked NOTAMs, etc and all clear), and about 5/10 mins before we were ready to smash our quads to bits, two high speed RAF jets came over WELL under the 100m. Probably higher than Iā€™d have flown my FPV drones, but boy was it a little scary. I dunno why a drone would do a jet engine, but sure itā€™d have some effect!

Those stories of drones at 10,000 feet really amuse me. Can anything recreational even make i that high. I mean I have seen people fly drones 6 miles out, but 10,000 feet up, with all the turbulence and general rough air up there. Do recreational drones even have the battery life to do that? not to mention move at the same speed as a large aircraft while at that height? Possibly military or commercial could do, or maybe Elon made a Tesla drone that can fly at 400mph at 10000ft, but I doubt Joe Bloggs with his Mini 2 is going to achieve that.

1 Like

Only our @clinkadink could possibly get close :grin::grin:

1 Like

New video incomingā€¦

Some interesting drone / unknown near misses listed here at some high altitudes (there is one with 2 x apache helicopters which was interesting)

4th August, 2 x F35 pilots spotted 2x drones at 18,000ftā€¦
9th August ā€œthe captain spotted something passing the left wing. It was dark in colour, it didnā€™t look like a bird or a balloon and it didnā€™t have lights so they thought itwas probably a droneā€. {if in doubt its got to be a drone at 4,000ft!}

The newest reports are here:

seem to be having a lot of reports of a red drone around heathrow, (well 2 reports, one 27 July 2020, and another 31st Aug 2022)ā€¦ maybe there are more in other reports. one 1t 1600ft and another at 6000ft

Seems to be a few ā€œon first thoughts it was a balloon, big bird or whatever, and on second thoughts it was a droneā€ going on {29 Sept 2022}

10 Sept 2022ā€¦ FL195 (19500ft!) ā€œā€¦a large silver object was spotted that raced over the top of the windshield roughly 5-10m above. The F/O and captain saw it and both crew thought it was a drone due to the size, shape and reflective silver colourā€¦ā€ {helium party balloon anyone??? it raced over the top of the windsheildā€¦ and it was at 19500ft (6000m!)

seems to be a hell of a lot of 1-2m drones flying aboutā€¦ are drones / drone pilots just getting a whipping for the sake of itā€¦

Old, but probably explains a bit ā€¦

Are there really that many big drones about that can get up to those sort of altitudes?

The records keep coming, so now we have drones at 12 miles up flying as fast as jet propelled aircraft.

They should really get some pilots together and challenge them to fly a run of the mill recreational drone to 12 miles up. Then they might stop putting stupid things into reports.

If you donā€™t know what it is, itā€™s a UFO, put down itā€™s a UFO. Unidentified flying object. You donā€™t know what it is = Unidentified, Itā€™s flying so obviously = Flying and it is something = Object. No stigma, just common sense. Or record it as red blob in sky. If I was flying along in a plane and i saw a red blob in the sky and filed a report I would write down red blob in sky at x altitude, while flying at y speed.

It just shows how one sided the thing is.

Nowhere on Airprox or even AAIB seems to have an actual drone expert to put their input of what is/isnā€™t possible on the claims.

Claims just accepted as truth, completely unchallenged with nobody at all to put a counter-argument in.

1 Like

Just reading some of those reports, where can I buy a quadcopter, that can go up to 18,000 ft and large enough to get a radar lock on ? ( as reported by the F35 pilot )
I do wonder if the F35 pilot has perhaps been on the wacky baccy the night before ?