Drone privacy paranoia and the real snooping, paradox

Even as a domestic ring doorbell user you should have a ‘policy’ if it’s impossible to not blur out anything beyond ‘your land’ (A topic I’m sure we’re all familiar with here) when the camera gets triggered. E.g. the postman will set mine off every day because he can’t be arsed to go via the public footpath to get to my neighbours house even if there’s no post for me) so for those 10 or so seconds i’m recording across the street whether i like it or not.

Worse is my actual neighbour will trigger it when he stands on my drive and chats to another neighbour meaning I record their whole conversation, which is probably a bigger problem (I could just turn the sound recording off, but haven’t)

I haven’t bothered putting stickers up, and no one as of yet seems to be arsed, but we’ll see since this story, but as most of my neighbours are elderly, they probably don’t have a clue or are happy for some extra security. Although judging by the footage some people post on the village socials, anyone up to no good doesn’t really care about these systems anyway and know all to well they probably aren’t going to get identified anyway! I’m not even sure they have a use as a deterrent now, all they do is let you know someone’s been up to no good!

If you’re ever asked you should be able to provide details of how long you keep data for, and not only that, but if you’re using cloud based storage it gets even more messy. What’s their data policy and how long do they retain data even after you’ve deleted it!

Article below gives some sounds advice. INFO | The rules you must follow if you have CCTV or a doorbell camera protecting your property | Herefordshire’s Independent Source of News & Information

Ring are currently in the media due to someone being fined £100,000 for breaches of privacy laws and GDPR.

1 Like

Scroll up to post 12 in this thread Deano :blush:

Missed that one :man_facepalming:t2: been following this thread as well… doh!

1 Like

Not sure if I should be worried or not I’ve got 4 Ring cameras watching over my property one of witch is over looking a joint driveway. But I’d like to think I’d be OK as almost every single house in my street has a ring doorbell as we’ve had a spate of wa*kers trying car door handles in the middle of the night on several occasions.

1 Like

We get them on our estate too.

Three or four chavs together, all dressed in black coloured tracky bottoms and hoodies, and masks now too :roll_eyes:

The annoying thing is they know the law so they’re not tooled up for breaking in to cars, they’re literally just trying their luck on unlocked car doors and side-entry gates to the gardens on our street :confused:

The old bill can’t do a thing about it, and these chav :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:'s know it too.

1 Like

Yeah exact same MO here too. Although on one occasion the lookout who was stood in the street was brandishing a hammer.

Edit: Added photo screenshot from the video.

One of the blokes who works for me caught some mofos trying to steal his cat-convertor.

Terraced housing, so he parks his car just wherever he can on the street. Heard his car alarm one night, looked out to see a car parked parallel to his with the hazards on and two blokes hovering around his car.

Went running out in his boxers to be met by a similarly tooled up lookout to yours :confused:

Anyway, we digress, but ffs just get a job you thieving c*$£@!!'s

1 Like

Back to the privacy issues with home security. Anyone who reports somebody for protecting themselves against theses types of scum deserve to be broken into in my opinion lol

1 Like

Spent enough of my life skating to know that this particularly brand of cunt isn’t uncommon I’m afraid, always the one with a 5 year old on scooter getting in the way on the ramps while people are trying to skate.

Good Point friend…can use that in defence. :grinning: