Drone SAR for lost dogs

How do you get involved with dog SAR - is there any non-Facebook route?

You’ll find them here -

You’ll need to join the page - Graham Burton is the main man who started the organisation and is always happy to welcome new members :+1: :+1: :+1:

Once you’re in - whenever a lost dog event happens in your area, one of the coordinators will contact you with details . - Good luck and enjoy

1 Like

Valid question.

Anyone know the answer? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes they’re on Twitter too :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No one here want to represent them?

1 Like

I’ve messaged Graham Burton - the founder of Drone SAR for Lost Dogs - and let him know there are some members here that may be interested to fly for his outfit - hopefully he’ll pay us a visit. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

There is a web page but it’s not much use as it links to the FB page

http://dronesaruk.org/

1 Like

Just posted this on the FB page so hopefully get some members coming on here.

1 Like

This is such a great idea. Trying to sign up now but Facebook is having issues.

What are people’s thoughts on the legislation around this?

With the open category, CAP722 (page 170) says that non-recreational flights require (EC)785/2004.

I have insurance (FPVUK) but it’s just standard public liability.

FPV offer “Flight Test” insurance for an additional £12 per year. I have previously contacted Simon @FPVUK about insuring SAR flights and he very quickly responded - the flight test insurance will cover you. SAR is neither recreational nor strictly commercial, you are not receiving recompense for your time and expenses in either cash or kind.

I would check with Simon though, my query was around 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Welcome to Graham @DroneSAR the founder and owner of Drone SAR for Lost Dogs :+1:

3 Likes

One of the big issues for me and the Facebook method, and I know the admins for the page have tried to address this, is the amount of unrelated noise in a discussion. Then there’s the problem of Facebook algorithms. I barely see a Drone SAR group post anymore, so have probably missed reports of Dogs in the Midlands area that I may not be in the exact vicinity but close enough to have drove out too.

It’s a bit of admin to set up but I think I’d rather see something like a Slack (other apps available that do similar) channel for pilots, yes, it’s yet another app, but this way pilots, and just pilots could easily be communicated with, and Joe public can be left to Facebook.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Graham Burton, and I’m the founder of Drone SAR For Lost Dogs UK. Many thanks to John and Wayne, above for pointing me in your direction. DSAR, was formed in July 2017 and has rapidly grown to where it is today with over 59.000 members. We have near 3,000 registered pilots and 2,500 ground searchers registered on the group and in the five years since it was formed we have helped to reunite near 2,750 dogs back with their owners. We have also helped with other animals such as horses, cows, goats, sheep. A couple of wallaby’s, and other exotic animals including a couple of very big missing tortoises. We cover the whole of the UK and Ireland, and have also helped to setup a group in South Africa. We have also received a Prime Ministers “Point of Light” award and have appeared in many newspaper and magazine articles and have also appeared on a number of national TV programmes. We are always looking for new pilots and ground searchers to add to the team so if there is anybody here that would like to become a volunteer search and rescue pilot on the group that would be amazing. You can join the group by clicking on the link below and answering “YES” to being a pilot and I will get you registered onto our pilots location map. Many thanks Graham Burton

4 Likes

We’d happily add a private category to this forum which only DroneSAR members could access (ie. hidden / unavailable to “normal” GADC members) - if it’s something Graham would be interested in.

2 Likes

I fly drones for mountain rescue. Despite being voluntary, when I checked, FPVUK were clear that their insurance would NOT cover SAR as it was not recreational flying. I would not want to do dog searches unless proper insurance was in place.

read the whole thread…

they have their own cover drone policy in place. :+1:t2:

Thanks for that, I’ve signed up, along with I see, a whole bunch of us from here.

Many thanks SkyOkapi, great to have you onboard.

I’ve made several attempts to join Drone SAR via facebook, but heard nothing - any help getting in touch with Graham would be greatly appreciated.

@DroneSAR :wink:

If I remember you just join the group and say you are a drone pilot and you are in