Drone Scene Updates - December 2023

A new version of Drone Scene has been released :tada:

(Missed the September update? Take a look here!)

What’s new in the December update? :thinking:

New Feature :partying_face:

• Take Off And Landing markers, and Car Parking markers, have arrived!
    – Requested by: A number of you :blush:

The most popular question people ask when they get a drone is, “Where can I fly?” - which is the very reason we started building Drone Scene all those years ago.

The second most popular question, once people know where to fly, is “But where can I take off from??”

Many of you add information or instructions of where to Take Off And Land (TOAL) within the details of the location itself in the form of co-ordinates or what3words sometimes, which is fantastic, but we wanted to take this to the next level by visualising these valuable pieces of extra information on the map :clap:t2:

We’re pleased to announce that you can now add TOAL and Parking marker pins to ANY location - not just the locations you’ve added to the map :partying_face:

We opted for you to add markers to any location because a lot of people have flown at a lot of locations and we thought it’d be great if you could expand upon an existing location by adding even more useful information to it.

This new feature should be self explanatory in its use but here are a few details to help you along the way.

First, ensure you’re viewing the full details of the location itself. The TOAL and Parking markers are only visible when viewing the location. They’re not visible on the “homepage” of the map (it’d be too messy).

What do we mean by this?

Quite simply, if you’re on https://DroneScene.co.uk you’ll not see any of the extra markers, nor can you add any here either. Instead, you’ll need to click through to the details of the location to view it in its entirety, eg: https://dronescene.co.uk/where-to-fly-drone/bigsweir-bridge-wye-valley/south-west/3022

Once you’re on the full details of the location you’ll see a new green button:

“Add a Take Off or Car Parking marker to this location?”

You can then place a red marker pin on the place you park, or where you take off from.

At the bottom of the screen you can then choose which type of marker you’re adding (we may add more marker types in the future). Then click on “Save and Add Another” if you want to add some more markers.

When you’ve finished, the extra markers will be visible on the map:

We’re hoping this extra information will prove invaluable to members looking to fly here too :smiley:

UI / UX Change :desktop_computer:

UI / UX Change :desktop_computer:

Bug Fix :beetle:

• Added support for YouTube’s new format share-links
    – Not technically a bug, more of a new compatibility update
    – YouTube added a new link tracking parameter on their video sharing links with a si= parameter on the end
    – eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEPYPeludA?si=n7JWiT-v7TO0LRyy
    – This prevented Drone Scene from creating thumbnails for the videos
    – Sorry @AlbionDrones if you were wondering why I kept randomly editing your locations these last few weeks, it was to manually remove the si= tracking part to make it work again :blush:

• Fixed a bug that occurred if you dismissed the Insurance splash banner when NOT on the homepage
    – It was redirecting you back to the homepage
    – Instead of leaving you on the page you’re currently looking at

• Fixed the issue where Dark Mode HTML Tables turned white on very narrow screens / devices
    – They now stay in Dark Mode

Other Random Stuff :palm_tree:

• Nothing this time!

We hope you find this level of release notes / details useful :blush:

But don’t forget! :scream:

In order to use all the features of Drone Scene, you need to be a Member of Grey Arrows Drone Club - and Membership is available from as little as £1.33 per month :blush:

As ever, please continue to enjoy Drone Scene and please keep those feature requests coming!

7 Likes

Have you added any locations to Drone Scene? :thinking:

Or have you flown at any existing locations on Drone Scene? :thinking:

If so, it’d be great if you could revisit them please and add a Take Off And Landing marker point, and a Parking marker if possible!

You can add TOAL and Parking markers to any location on the map, not just to locations you’ve added yourself.

Having this extra information on the map will really help your fellow Club members.

Can’t remember where you’ve flown? We’ve got you covered!

You can find all the places you’ve flown by using this filter on the homepage:

2 Likes

If you do add some TOAL or Parking markers to any locations (not just your own!) you might find that the marker pin for the location itself is in the wrong place.

For example, you may have placed the location marker on the car park for the railway viaduct, rather than on the railway viaduct itself.

If so, don’t worry, simply hit the “Report this location?” link, let us know where to move your location marker to, and we’ll update it for you :blush:

You can then add your TOAL and Parking markers in the correct place :smiley:

4 Likes

Other Random Stuff :palm_tree:

• Nothing this time!

How disappointing! Almost as if no one cares about maintaining Drone Scene …

Seriously though - excellent work, love the TOAL and parking info markers - January update will no doubt add the :teapot: :coffee: markers.

How do you find the time to do all this along with everything else involved in running the site?

3 Likes

Ah, that explains why the edits, and why I couldn’t see what had been done…

Darn, got to go and edit 100+ locations to add the TOAL spot now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only 100 … pah !!

:running_man: :dash:

1 Like

This is a major enhancement to an already great bit of software. It was already much more feature rich than alternatives. But now it’s truly one of kind, as no other app or website offers this much data or functionality!

Well done Rich @PingSpike :man_bowing: :clap: :+1:

6 Likes

Nice idea Rob, would anyone else find this useful? The ability to add a marker for a tea/coffee/eatery?

:thinking:

2 Likes

It might’ve be nice to have everything in one place, although strictly not necessary as can be readily Googled unlike TOAL sites.

Question, even though the TOAL sites aren’t SHOWN on the overview map, are they still loading in the background (and being filtered out) ? And if so, does this hurt performance when scrolling the map?

1 Like

No, only loaded when you select a specific location.

2 Likes

Lol, I shouldn’t laugh, but I did think of you when I wrote that, perhaps only having half the number you have to do isnt such a bad thing after all…

Mind you, at least it will give me something to do while Lee’s computer renders the Skye Showreel…

1 Like

I wish we could get DJI to provide release notes like ours :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Rich, most have mine have coords for TOAL and Parking. Do us a fave, and knock up a script to backfill all my pins and convert them to TOAL and Parking markers.

Many thanks :rofl:

Hmm, thats cheating!! Make him do it manually, like wot I am having too do! :wink:

Some people have added theirs using what3words.

Can I “knock up a script to backfill” those too please? :blush:

Wait, what?!

No, make them do it themselves. Lazy bar stewards :shushing_face:

Beer token and doggy treats in the post. Ta :+1:

Ok, added TOAL and Parking spots for all 100+ of mine, whew, glad I hadnt reacheed 200 yet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Shut the front door!! :exploding_head:

Don’t forget the rest of mine :wink: :grinning:

Yeah, and mine. 10p per pin. Seems like a good deal :+1: