EASA and the UK!

Exactly, I’ve flown at Temple Newsham, around Soldiers Field at Roundhay as well as over Lotherton Hall (had to do that from the footpaths nearby as I refuse to pay for parking in there)

Yes, my council just has a “policy”, not any bye-laws.

That’s good kvetner. No problems there then. :slightly_smiling_face:

The moto I fly by: “Fly first, apologise after” ignorance is bliss. “Oops I’m sorry I didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed to fly here, at least I now know for future reference, thank you for letting me know” :+1:t2:

3 Likes

But are you flying a model aircraft?

You are flying an Unmanned Aerial System. it’s not a model or replica of anything, It’s a self-propelled and semi-autonomous camera in use for survey, mapping, crop evaluation or aesthetic purposes.

2 Likes

Good point macspite. However in the Byelaws they expand on that by using the description “Anything that is propelled by an internal combustion engine, jet engine, rocket propellants and electric motors” or words to that effect. Interesting that these Laws may have been written before UAV or UAS became a common description of what we fly though. Balloons are okay I think, as long as you don’t fit an engine.

No mention of ion propulsion :thinking: Time to warm-up the soldering iron.

2 Likes

Montgolfiers good, Zeppelins bad?

2 Likes

Just found this posted on dji forum, might give a bit of hope with new regs ?

https://www.ulc.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci/5227-mozliwosc-nadania-starym-dronom-klas-zgodnych-z-normami-ue

Not saying CAA would do the same, or if it will even happen. But it is something

1 Like

Anyone fluent in Polish? :exploding_head: lol

Possibility of assigning “old” drones classes compliant with EU standards

We would like to kindly inform you that the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has informed the national aviation authorities that after December 31, 2020, it will be possible to convert unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) already placed on the market into UAVs marked with classes in accordance with the Commission Delegated Regulation ( EU) 2019/945 of 12 March 2019 on unmanned aircraft systems and third country operators of unmanned aircraft systems.

The conversion will be based on the principles described in the Commission notice " Blue Guide - Implementing EU Product Regulations 2016" available at: https://tiny.pl/7lgk3

EASA describes two conversion options:

1. modernization by the manufacturer by recalling products, updating hardware or software as part of the production control procedure, assigning a new serial number, affixing a class identification label, issuing a new CE declaration.
  2. end- user software update by owner software update under full manufacturer control, manufacturer sending new CE declaration, class identification label and new serial number plate to owner, and owner affixing class identification label and new serial number plate to BSP.

Please note that it is the manufacturer who implements measures to ensure that the BSP conversion process will ensure that the BSP complies with the provisions of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945.

4 Likes

That will be great if they can action it :crossed_fingers:t2: thanks @FireStorm-X for translation :+1:t2:

Guess it all depends on Brexit as I’m assuming the CAA won’t need to follow the eu rules and can form their own regulations?

Lucky for me, Google Chrome did the translation, only bit I could follow until I found the translate was the pic lol :slight_smile:

There is zero chance of that one happening.

And probably as close to zero as you can get with that one too.

What possible incentive is there for a manufacturer to do anything?

They’ll just launch new models and fleece us all over again :man_shrugging:

Which to be fair, we knew they’d do anyway. We’ve had plenty of warning this was coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guess it depends whether or not the CAA will follow the EASA lead. Looking at CAP1789 App C would suggest the CAA have no intention of allowing upgrading/conversion of transitional drones so I don’t think I’ll be holding my breath either.

I am sure they will sooner or later get the Air 2 sorted, as they will want to sell there drones and if other company’s start selling drones that are compliant. Then they will lose sales ?

or could we even say if they sort it for new sales…dji refresh anyone ?

My first thought was "great opportunity to make and sell fake CE stickers … "

No mate, they’ll just announce the Air 3?

Think there holding back the M3P until its CE marked.

They will miss a massive market if they release it early, will have to wait another 4 years for the CE version. (M4P)