EASA and the UK!

What about all of the bylaws in towns and city’s that forbid drones?

Fly first apologise after.

4 Likes

I wonder how many of them actually mention drones in their byelaws. I just checked Glasgow City Council and couldn’t find anything. Also checked the parks bylaws and the nearest I got was …2.2 Do not:
(a) do anything which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, offence, alarm or distress to any other park user. Strangely they mention Metal detecting and Geocaching (my wife’s hobby) in the park rules which are relatively new hobbies, but not drones.

2 Likes

DrumsagardAdvanced MembeI wonder how many of them actually mention drones in their byelaws. I just checked Glasgow City Council and couldn’t find anything.

Neither can I :+1:

Thanks guys :ok_hand:

“How many minis will we see taking to the sky New Year’s Day”
It will be like batteries not included film :joy:

I always make an attractive little parcel of four AA batteries with a card inside that reads “Gift not included …”

8 Likes

Things are going to get confusing
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/06/thats-no-balloon-its-a-drone-halo-takes-to-the-skies-as-latest-trend-in-uavs.html

I can fly my mavic anywhere

:+1: :+1:

Doubt its going to whizz anywhere other than out to sea in this UK weather.

If the weather permits.
If EASA isn’t knocked back again.
If they don’t reclassify the Mini 1 or 2.
If I stay awake to midnight.
I might just go for it on New Year’s Eve.

6 Likes

I had a quick look into this. I think it’s now automatic:

1. If the EU withdrawal transition period ends as expected on 31 December 2020, the EASA Implementing Regulations automatically become UK law whether or not the Air Navigation Order is amended (see legal section of CAP722, The Unmanned Aircraft (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020, and the Explanatory Memorandum to those regs).
  2. If the transition period gets extended, then we remain covered by EU law until we do finally exit, so they apply throughout the EU after 31 December 2020 anyway.
3 Likes

That’s good. Lets hope there are no further amendments form the CAA after we leave. I contacted DJI ref the introduction of CE marked drones into the UK. They said they still do not have definite plans for that to happen as yet.

1 Like

Thats a fine vid I must say !!! Makes Leeds almost look respectable - its definitely more impressive from the air than it is on the ground - just saying :pray: :joy: :joy:

Cheeky southern twat :fu:

4 Likes

This is a very interesting if confusing thread - Im trying my bestest to try and grasp WTF is going to maybe happen at some point maybe depending on Brexit maybe.
Ive decided to reduce brain ache and wait till someone can give me 5 1 line bullet points as to what I MUST do to fly my MPP legally. Sadly, being in Wales I have every confidence that the commie bar stewards in Cardif will decide at the last minute to claim UDI and have their own rules, demands and undemocratically decided systems based on a natter over a cappuccino with a like minded idiot.
Happy days ahead I feel - its getting more & more like Thailand where no-one knows whats going on yet your somehow meant to know. All good fun I reckon here in the Land of my Fathers.

3 Likes

Im from NORTH Wales not the fkin south !!! Thats called “England but with a dreadful accent” thats worse than a brummie or a Yorkie. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

:disappointed:

3 Likes

It depends on the manufacturer really and if they’d want to bother or look at is an opportunity for new sales. Personally I’d expect cheaper models from DJI / Autel to have no upgrade route and most of the other low cost brands look at it as an opportunity to sell new models.

However for enterprise, professional and high end consumer models from DJI / Autel I’d expect either a dealer, factory or end user upgrade programme appear at some point where you pay a fee which varies based on the model for a CE compliance upgrade. So a Matrice would cost significantly more to upgrade than a M2 for example.

The question mark I can see is the MA2 and if it’s worth the time and effort for DJI to offer an upgrade or just launch a revised complaint model?
I just can’t see DJI wishing to miss out with the M2 range until the M3 appears whenever the FAA sort out what is required as an acceptable remote ID system, which could be another year away.

There’s places to fly (legally) in Wales, you just need to look around.

There’s places where you can get onto (Crown Foreshore) beaches at low tide. Further inland, a large Common where quite a few people fly doesn’t have bylaws either, whilst they are chuntering about bringing them in they don’t seem particularly anti-drone (the impression I get talking to the Common Wardens who are most concerned about flytipping and such like).

Like everything though, you need to be discrete and/or sensible. A few weeks ago I was out on the Wales Coastal Path. At one point I was “buzzed” by a Mavic Mini which suddenly appeared over the cliff-edge (being flown by someone on the beach), bobbing about not seeming particularly well controlled… I got the impression of someone with a new toy and not much idea of keeping it VLOS or for that matter flying it.

Didn’t bother me, but a couple of minutes later I ended up engaging in conversation with a couple of other walkers who’d also been buzzed (and startled) by it, thankfully they saw the more pragmatic side (including “if the kids playing down there don’t learn how to control it better it’ll be an expensive mistake”).

I’ve noticed that with the number of people taking holidays near home, it can be a lot busier in previously quiet spots, and a bit of work to find alternative places and/or early starts is needed. Or use a drone you can fly in the rain when there’s no-one else around (enter the Spry+ :grinning:).

As it happens I live on the edge of a FRZ so I always need to travel a bit to fly. I’ve got OS maps online as well as Google Maps to explore with, the 1 in 25,000 mps are good as they show “open access” land where the first challenge of access is sorted. After that- avoid popular walker/tourist places.

Think about how you come across- be aware that farmers and the like are often on the look out for people involved in crime (rural crime- especially theft by people coming out from cities- is a serious problem these days). But if you talk to them politely and they are confident you’re not casing the joint you may get a much more friendly response.

GC

2 Likes

Not sure my Welsh-speaking MiL from Cardiganshire would agree with you there about the accent SIlverfox.

GC