EASA and the UK!

Or try a temporary email address :wink:

1 Like

Just found SkyDemon Lite on the Apple App store - it appears to give the info needed and its FOC. In the middle of experimenting with it now :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nice one :+1: I’m just doing the same. Looking good :grinning:

1 Like

I find SkyDemon Lite on the PC easier to use.
Unfortunately it is Windows and Internet Explorer only

1 Like

Latest revision is 292 pages, easy access my arse!

:man_facepalming:

Bits that may actually be useful:

• Diagram on page 143: note that the 120m distance is now from the surface of the earth at any angle (not just vertically as in the current UK ANO): helpful if you’re flying near a cliff (but only if you are some kind of bonkers stickler for the rules)
  • Er, that’s probably it

So I was just watching one of the YouTubers looking at the ‘bad’ aspects of the Mini 2.

(1) What DJI Don’t Tell You about DJI Mini 2 - YouTube

He stated that he has ‘discovered’ that it does not actually fall under the C0 category of drone.

This surprised me as it for all the discussions and reading this doesn’t seem to be the case.

However I decided to do some digging and I found this comment on the DJI Forum site.

‘As a potential first drone buyer form Europe I did a fair bit of research and from what I have gathered it is a really bad time to buy basically any current drone model on the market, without a clear classification under the new regulations. The mavic mini’s weight of 249g is now completely irrelevant as it’s got a camera, and weight categories are calculated from maximal take-off weight not the actual weight of the drone at the time of a take-off (ridiculous for regulations that pride themselves on being purely risk-based). So the Mini fits in the below 500g maximal take off weight category and a very radical weight savings used on the mini have basically been for nothing, unless you are into hiking and need to save every gram.’

New EU UAS Regulation. | DJI FORUM

So after reading this I’m questioning the validity of our theory that it is indeed a C0.

You can see from the categories below that it states <250g MTOM (Not sure if this is in the latest version).

MTOM is the Maximum Take Off Mass. This is not necessarily the actual weight of the drone.

Am I missing something here? Please say yes. :slight_smile:

Godlyone
I’m struggling to follow your question, but will do my best to clarify some points.

The MTOM is just that, the maximum the machine can weigh before take off, keeping it with in its design limits.

For example a Boeing 767 MTOM (max take off weight) is 204,000kg. However its empty weight is 88,500kg. So we can can carry an extra load (inc fuel) of 115,500 kg before exceeding its MTOM.

So what the regulation states, is that the maximum weight of the UAV allowed to fly within a specific category.

So with the Mini 2 weighing 239g with batteries fitted, we are below the <250g limit. In fact we could add an accessory and possibly still be below the category limit.

Mini 2 is below the <250g limit, it has a camera but IT IS NOT a new ’ C rated / marked UAV. So that will put us in the ‘Legacy’ bracket (placed on the market before 1 Jan 2023).

As no one wants to spend a fortune getting and maintaining a PfCO / GVC if not needed. We need to look for the least restrictive category possible for the Mini 2. **Therefore looking at your chart you would fly the Mini 2 under the Subcategory A1 Legacy class.**Which means no flying over crowds and a requirement to read the manual.

The CAA (Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority)
states:
The new regulations apply to drones and model aircraft from 250g to 20kg that are used outdoors.

1 Like

Extract from latest CAP722 -----

A2.1 Subcategory A1

A2.1.1 Permitted UA types

UA with a flying weight of less than 250g, maximum speed less than 19 m/s.

Class C0 UA.

Class C1 UA.

‘A1 Transitional’ UA (flying weight of less than 500g).

Note: only until 31 December 2022 and subject to additional remote pilot competency

The wording has been changed from MTOM to flying weight - so the Mini 2 falls well within the limits. The Mini 1 bare also falls within the limits.

2 Likes

Ah yes!

Wasn’t even thinking about the Legacy option.

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

I can confirm what @Jhdee says - it is a sub-250g legacy drone (so long as you don’t add accessories taking it above that flying weight), that you can fly in subcategory A1 indefinitely. It is not C0 or C1 class, but that doesn’t matter. This has all been confirmed to training providers by the CAA directly.

PS: The especially good news - the current guidance from the CAA (see here page 49) suggests that “flying weight” as a concept will only apply to legacy drones i.e. if they do ever start selling C-class marked Mini 2s, they may be treated as C1 rather than C0. Your existing drone may therefore be a better option!

1 Like

Right now, would it be worth it to undertake the A2 C of C owning a mavic mini living in London ? In the sense that we are about to leave Europe?
Also are there any options on uavhub?

Moved your post to this all-inclusive thread on the subject.

Could someone point me in the right direction to find the link? Thanks.

The link for?

The leaving Europe bit is irrelevant. A2 rules apply from 1st January whatever happens now.

You don’t need an A2 CofC to fly a Mini anywhere, as the Mini can be flown in A1 with fewer restrictions anyway.

1 Like

Have they redefined a crowd for A1? The current definition is

“A crowd is any organised, open-air gathering of more than 1,000 people.”

This means the Mini & 2 can fly over very busy areas, such as a promenade, because they’re not organised.

GADC_CommitteeSquadron Leader

15h

‘Moved your post to this all-inclusive thread on the subject.’

The link to the question and thread. I cant find what GADC is referring to.

According to my A2 CofC training, a crowd is now defined by risk: is there enough space for people in the crowd to move freely away if, for example, a drone had to make an emergency landing? I’ve not seen where in the regs it backs that definition up, though.

4 Likes