EASA and the UK!

I’ve been reading up on the upcoming drone rules in the UK, that will apply from 31st December 2020. It states that if you have a drone that weighs less than 250g, and has a camera (e.g. DJI Mini 2) then it will need to be registered (presumably Operator ID) but no flying test (or Flyer ID) required. In addition, as it’s considered A1 ‘Legacy’ you can even fly over uninvolved people, but not crowds. Have I understood correctly, and if so, does this override the drone code 50m away from uninvolved people code?

Lots of info in the thread, but in a nutshell yes

1 Like

Extract from CAA Registration :

Flyer ID

The flyer is the person who flies the drone or model aircraft.

You’ll need to pass an online theory test to get a flyer ID.

Children and adults must pass the test. A parent or guardian must registerchildren under 13, but the child must take the test.

It’s a good idea to prepare for the test before you take it.

Operator ID

The operator is responsible for making sure that only people with a valid flyer ID use their drone or model aircraft.

They must:

• make sure that only people with a valid flyer ID use their drone or model aircraft
  • label their drones and model aircraft with their operator ID

You must be 18 or over to register for an operator ID.

If you’re responsible for drones or model aircraft, but will not fly them you can register as an operator only. For example, if you’re responsible for your child’s drone.

Therefore if you own and fly the drone, you’ll need both the Flyer ID and the Operator ID.

You may fly over uninvolved people but not over crowds - its always wise to keep a “reasonable” distance though from anyone uninvolved.

1 Like

The table below suggests that under the new rules, only operator registration is required if the drone is below 250g, the only flyer competency being to read the manual, as opposed to a flyer id?

1 Like

Posed the question on the UAVHUB forum and got the following response:

UAVHub Yep, you’ll need to complete the DMARES for the reasons you’ve stated (primarily camera)…

The only competency requirements for any drones in the A1 subcategory is to read the user manual…

‘Toy’ drones don’t require the operator to be registered, but drones in the A1 subcategory with a camera, do.

The DMARES isn’t a ‘competency’ as such-it’s the initial building block upon which all the other things are based.

Thanks, that makes sense, as the Flyer ID test isn’t considered a competency as such.

Its the only competency test there is though for the hobbyist.

1 Like

Genuine question for you all. First have a watch of this video, shot on a Mavic Mini (it’s not mine!):

Setting aside the sometimes shaky camerawork, and that I suspect much of this was not flown within VLOS, this is clearly flown with a PfCO given it’s all a congested area, beyond argument. Otherwise it would obviously break the current regs.

How much of this would break the amended regs if flown again in January?

Asking for a friend.

I’d argue it probably was mostly in line of sight given the crappy distances you can actually fly a mini in built up areas (or so my friend told me)

1 Like

I like how he helpfully shares his flier and operator ID below each post on YouTube. I now know what I’d be labelling my Mini 2 with should I ever get one and fly in these areas :wink:

2 Likes

Quick look on NATS suggests its in restricted airspace but obviously local ATC permission would cover that. There is a prison too - not sure how you gain permission to fly in such a zone. That aside, for a MIni 2 it all looks legal to me - but not sure I’d fly it though :man_shrugging:

This one is a mini, although he does have some mini 2 stuff on his channel too

1 Like

One thing we’re all assuming is that the CAA won’t use their powers under the new regs to declare whole urban areas off limits “for safety, security, privacy or environmental reasons”, as they are allowed to under Article 15 of the IR. Hopefully there won’t be so much bad press about Minis zooming down high streets that they come under pressure to do so.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean by “NATS suggests its in restricted airspace”?

I can see the circular manchester zone with the following description on dronescene:
Restricted Area
The flight of aircraft within this area is restricted in accordance with certain specified conditions. Notes attached to this area provide additional information.

So what are these restrictions? Where do we find them?

I ask because I’m trying to understand the situation in London and there’s a similar zone covering London out to Zone 2 (R160).

Here’s the thread discussing the London zone:

2 Likes

There aren’t any meaningful zonal restrictions on drone flights in Manchester that I’ve found, indeed I flew within the city earlier this evening, although following the drone code of course!

I have exactly the same issues as yourself - the NATS app indicates a restricted area but fails to provide any detail with regard to the restriction :man_shrugging:

I’ve had a look on SkyDemon and the circular restricted area (EGR319) says “Applies to helicopters only” - same as the EGR160 in London.

So apart from the very small No Fly Zone over Strangeways prison I can’t see any drone restricted areas.

2 Likes

SkyDemon is a bit too pricey for me I’m afraid. Sounds like good news. Just wish NATS would give the same level of detail rather than just indicate a restricted area. As always - its down to money :man_shrugging:

Agreed especially for what we would use it for. The 30 day free trial is worth downloading.
It saved my bacon the other week. I was cussing as it looked like a total no fly zone had been implemented until I read the NOTAC. It was a royal flight, so it was just a temporary restriction from the ground up.

1 Like

Was planning to keep the 30 day free trial for a future event where I absolutely need to know the detail of the restriction for somewhere I may need to fly - who knows, I may drop a Xmas present hint to SWMBO :thinking: :thinking: :joy: