Emax Tinyhawk 2 Freestyle RTF Range issues

I can vouch for this :joy:

1 Like

didnt realise they were in such short supply right now

1 Like

Yeah thats one of the reasons I went for the Mambo Howard. There’s more chance of finding a unicorn being ridden by a leprechaun through a field of 4 leaf clovers :joy:

The Mambo looks good and seems pretty similar to the Tango just a bit bigger.

I noticed they do a package where you get 3 rx’s with it too - great idea imo.

2 Likes

Tracer though not crossfire :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yeah thats the downside, it’s Tracer not Crossfire but to be honest for my purposes Tracer should be fine. I went out yesterday afternoon for a test flight and it worked great. In fact if anything I will probably have to upgrade my vtx as the video was dropping way before Tracer will ever drop out

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not knocking tracer, but he would need a tracer RX for his tinyhawk not a crossfire RX. I was just pointing out that the mambo is tracer and won’t work with crossfire without the module same as the TX16S :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah man but I do think at the moment Crossfire is superior to Tracer. I still may end up going down the Crossfire route lol I’ll see how it pans out. The Immortal T antennas for Tracer are bloody tiny! Would probably be really good for whoops and toothpicks :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I did see the Tango 2 when browsing but as you say, couldn’t find one anywhere, it is very similar to the DJI controller, but no worries, I’m sure I’ll learn all the same on the TX16s.

Hobbyrc were kind enough to refund 2/3 postage costs this morning without asking, and send as 1 package, glad I wasn’t penalised for the scattergun approach to ordering :joy:

2 Likes

That’s the way you want, :+1:
Bring it home when video lost

3 Likes

So what do you think of the 1st practice? Have I got what it takes to hopefully not kill these upgrades before they’re on the drone? I’m aware of the bridged couple, they’re so tiny and close :sweat_smile:

This Diatone mamba board is great for practicing on, and who knew soldering was so therapeutic??

The TS100 is lovely to use too, way better than my 40w standard iron from maplin. I got the C1 tip as an extra when I purchased it but I’m thinking the B2 that came with it can do it all with a little care.

Appreciate the help so far, im sure I’ll be calling in when I start on the real thing, need to get a reliable multimeter and some decent wire strippers before I commit, needle nose insulation stripping on these tiny wires is not my forte. RIP to the USB cable I dismantled for practice wire :joy:

Add some flux to your arsenal and your soldering will be spot on :+1:t2:

I have some of this, but I only used it to clean the tip a little, didn’t try it on the board, im guessing even though the solder is Rosin core, I should still drop a bit of this on each joint anyway?

2 Likes

Yeah on the pad and the wire, always pre tin both pad and wire and you’re good to go :+1:t2:

1 Like

Flux is brilliant especially if you overheat the solder and it turns grey rather than silver.

I use this now pre soldering and when I’ve made a mistake

I’d definitely recommend it as the brush makes for easier application

1 Like

So, i have done it, I think… I was up until 2am soldering away (had to charge the 4s again as I forgot after practicing) and this morning I applied power, no smoke, got a video signal to my goggles, set up the TBS Tango and successfully bound together, even got it to arm and throttle(props off) for a second.

Maiden flight will likely be later on round the living room as the weather isn’t great, fingers crossed.

Might even share some photos when I get back, I didn’t take any mid mod though, too focused on remembering not to pre solder pin holes next time as they gave me a right mess around afterwards :sweat_smile:

Kept the stock RX antenna for now as the TrueRC is somewhere on the other side of the world and I’m impatient.

One day I’m hoping you lovely folks might explain what some of the things actually were that had to be done :joy: like, what was with the whole Rx1 Tx1 thing?

Other lessons learnt: hobbycraft helping hands are rubbish. Stanley wire stripper was a fantastic investment for me. Pins shouldn’t be applied individually if it can be helped, or pre soldered/blocked holes. Flush cutters are on the list(so little pin left for sled to FC connections :joy:), ts100 c1 tip was very helpful but doesn’t carry the same heat and just doesn’t want to let go of solder when cleaning. Don’t build past midnight. Don’t get up at 530am with the kid the next day.

Thanks everyone for your helps and tips and the other post. I guess it’s time to start planning the 5 inch??

5 Likes

Don’t run before you can walk lol watch some build videos and learn what each component is and what job it does. Understanding that will help you in part selection.

TX1 and RX1 refers to the UART of the flight controller. Think of UARTs as USB ports of the flight controller. They allow components a 2 way data collection to send data across to the flight controller and back again. TX1 is sending data from the flight controller to the component (could be anything from a GPS module to a VISA) and RX1 is receiving data back from the component to the flight controller. Hope this explains it for you :+1:t2:

Haha I know, I know, but it is addictive, and I did just enjoy the process of putting a few things together, im assuming it would be nice to work on something a little bigger though!

Ah I see, just ports for either essentials, or not so essential components. Assuming some flight controllers have more ports for more things?

Living room flight test in angle mode looks good, however, is it meant to be so warm/hot over the VTX? Don’t remember it being that warm before? Also thinking this might be due to my absolute snail pace so no ventilation cooling? Why is indoor flying do hard?! Haha will have to take it out after work weather permitting to give it a spirited test flight. :smile:

Also, it always wants to drift, im assuming this is a calibration issue, but how do I get a levelled surface next to my pc?! I mean, it’s close but evidently isn’t close enough 🤷

VTXs do get hot. Don’t power them up without an antenna connected or they can burn themselves out in a matter of seconds. TBS VTXs have some sort of protection against it but still worth getting into the habit of never powering up a VTX without an antenna.

1 Like