Feature Request - Weather Layer

Would it be possible to add a weather layer in dronescene showing current windspeeds and rain? I know we all have our own apps etc but would be handy to see basic weather info while checking locations in Dronscene.

We used to have it, dropped through lack of use

I think there’s an opportunity here - UAV Forecast change of terms has annoyed many (myself included) and OK2Fly/Airdata doesn’t provide wind direction or altitude (or cloud cover). If you could squeeze these basics back into DroneScene it would really be the only app we’d need…

So, just saying (for the Pet Haters :grin:)

There’s a screen shot of the weather information that was available in January 2021 release notes if anyone wants a refresher or for those who didn’t see it.

It wasn’t a layer back then, it was more of a point and click tool. You would click on the weather button to enable it, then click somewhere on the map, and it’d pop open a modal displaying the weather for that area - a bit like the way the Elevation tool works.

There was no forecast data, just the current observations.

If people would like a more visual layer of some sorts with forecast capabilities then please discuss your requirement here. If it gets enough interest or requests we’ll add it to the roadmap. :slight_smile:

And if you know an accurate source of weather forecast data that has APIs available, that’d be really useful too :blush:

Personally I was only intrerested in current observations. Wind can be calm here where I live, but an hour up the road at Glenshee it can be 40mph winds. I was thinking of a visual layer similar to Ventusky with wind direction and speed at different heights AGL. Sorry but I don’t even know what an API is???

Application programming interface :smiley:

The all-around best Weather API for 2023 is Tomorrow. io’s Weather API , which offers 80+ data layers and a top-rated interface.

Says google

Cheers Rich, looks like a viable data source :smiley:

Just down to everyone else now then. How many people would like to see weather (forecast) data coming back to Drone Scene? (using tomorrow.io as the data source)

2 Likes

I’d like that reintroduced :+1:

1 Like

Yes please, I would like to see it back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never seen it but if it does what drone scene does then it gets my vote 100% !

1 Like

Gets a vote from me and a 2nd vote if it uses tomorrow.io. Their android app is one of the best.

Yes please

1 Like

Clear Outside uses meteosource.com if that’s any use, It’s pretty reliable for cloud data for dark sky nerds.

Obviously there is a cost to these APIs, so while everyone is moaning about UAV Forecast, you can’t have your cake and eat it. Its likely the cost of these APIs has increased hence the change.

I would assume any kind of forecast layer would be a member only feature, and whichever API is used the cost may have to be passed on to members.

Not that GADC/Dronescene is expensive compared to what UAV Forecast is asking for, but potentially would probably see an increase in membership costs if we wanted access to 24+ hours of forecasts.

I guess once it gets looked at in more detail down the road (if at all) @PingSpike will give us some options on what can be offered and what it might mean to membership prices. Plus we love a good vote on GADC anyway, so no doubt members will get some sort of final say.

The moaning about UAV forecast is less about having to pay than about a significant change of functionality that was completely unannounced or explained - at this point it’s still unexplained, so increased API cost is complete speculation.

Personally, if we now have to pay more for weather forecast information no matter who we get it from then I’d rather pay it to GADC and have everything in a single convenient app, instead of faffing about with several. Just imho… :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree a vote is the way to go, so hope some costed options can be provided without it being too onerous on GADC. Perhaps make the weather layer a costed option for those that want it? Maybe too complicated though.

It’s a “YES please!” from me

1 Like

Yes from me too please…