First drone Mini 2 or Mavic Air 2?

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on the site for a little while reading up as much as I can. I am in the market for my first drone :wink: I’m trying to make my mind up whether to buy the mini 2 combo or spend a bit extra and get the Air 2 combo.

Wondering if I would be better to get the Air 2 with the extra features like the extra obstacle avoidance and better camera, tracking etc.

Either that or start with the mini 2 and then buy the Air 2 next year…hmm decisions
Anything with new rules for Jan 21 I should consider?

Thanks
Simon

1 Like

Where would you draw the line though?

Why not by the Pro with the extra features?

Or the Inspire with th…

Or the Matrice…

:grimacing:

1 Like

Personally I would go with the Mini 2, as it will remain flyable pretty much without restriction under A1 (flight over uninvolved people but not crowds) in the new regs indefinitely, unlike the Air 2 which, as things stand, will become a “legacy” drone and be restricted to the A3 category (far from people) after Dec 2022. Better to get the Mini 2 now, andthen get a “C” marked drone when they come to market, IMHO.

1 Like

The Air 3 will probably be out before 1st Jan 2023, maybe even the Air 4 by then :slight_smile:

I see what you are saying :smiley:
Was thinking if you were only going to own one drone out of those two, not sure I’d get the Pro past the war office.

2 Likes

I used my mates mini and decided I wanted my own. I went for the air 2 after waiting for the release of the mini 2. I only went for it air for the obstacle avoidance knowing that my son would want a go on it as well. I now sit and look at prices of the pro etc and think may be I should of went for one of those but to be honest, I’m not looking to become a pro drone photographer or anything so the mini/mini 2 would of been plenty for me but having the obstacle avoidance is the bonus for when my son has a fly and makes me feel a bit calmer when he’s looking around at me rather than the drone, as soon as the controller beeps, he freezes :joy:

1 Like

Obtaining clearance from 'er indoors is always the most difficult part of any hobby - generally best not to ask permission! I’m sure I saw a supplier of fountain pens who will provide an “alibi note” congratulating you on winning the competition in the parcel, while sending the actual receipt on via email!!! :joy:

1 Like

Hey Simon I have a Mavic Air 2 which I’m over the moon with. Its a fantastic drone packed with great features. Originally I was looking to buy a Fimi X8 SE 2020 but after looking into it opted for the MA2 as I knew I would want to upgrade almost straight away so would have been wasting time and money going for the Fimi. The Mini 2 is a very capable drone with fantastic reviews but if you are likely to get hooked and want to upgrade quickly I would say go for the MA2 straight away. Whichever you decide to go for youll be getting a great bit of kit! Good luck choosing :grin: Have a look at the below which gives you the main differences between the Mini 2, Air 2 and Pro 2. Hopefully it will help you make a decision :+1:t2:

Just noticed in the specs that the Mini 2 has recommended operating temperature of between 0 and 40 degrees centigrade but the Air 2 has an operating temperature of between -10 and 40 degrees centigrade. Not sure if this is related to the batteries or the internal electronics but if you are likely to be out in sub zero temps the Air 2 looks the better option

I had an Air (1) and loved it. So much so I upgraded it twice within 8 months.

You’ll love whichever one you choose but personally I’d get the most capable one you can afford.

1 Like

As a first Drone, you might want to consider the mini 2. Iff after several months you decide the hobby isn’t for you. There will be no problem selling the Mini 2 for an excellent return.
I have the mini 1 and Air 2 and wouldn’t part with either. I don’t want to fly near people, so aren’t really concerned about restrictions imposed by owning the Air 2.

1 Like

Hmm decisions decisions, I just can’t make my mind up lol

1 Like

Have a look at Very for 10% discount even better value.

2 Likes

Hey Simon take a look at Very. They do a 10% discount on first order if you open an account with them. I got my MA2 from there after a recommendation from @milkmanchris and got around £100 off. Even if you go for the Mini 2 you will get £50 off :wink:

2 Likes

Lol see above :point_up: :rofl:

1 Like

Or if you’re willing to wait the 20% opening offer comes around often.

1 Like

I think they have a 20% offer on at the moment but it doesn’t include electricals and tech :confused:

Yeah I saw that :frowning:

1 Like

Worth adding it to the basket to see

1 Like

To be honest the 10% discount is pretty damn good anyway. Its the best price I’ve seen while searching for brand new MA2 deals. I did see the other day a site called e-videoshop dot co dot uk which had unbelievable prices but looks VERY suspect and I could find barely any info for them for reviews etc