I’ve been lurking on the site for a little while reading up as much as I can. I am in the market for my first drone I’m trying to make my mind up whether to buy the mini 2 combo or spend a bit extra and get the Air 2 combo.
Wondering if I would be better to get the Air 2 with the extra features like the extra obstacle avoidance and better camera, tracking etc.
Either that or start with the mini 2 and then buy the Air 2 next year…hmm decisions
Anything with new rules for Jan 21 I should consider?
Personally I would go with the Mini 2, as it will remain flyable pretty much without restriction under A1 (flight over uninvolved people but not crowds) in the new regs indefinitely, unlike the Air 2 which, as things stand, will become a “legacy” drone and be restricted to the A3 category (far from people) after Dec 2022. Better to get the Mini 2 now, andthen get a “C” marked drone when they come to market, IMHO.
I used my mates mini and decided I wanted my own. I went for the air 2 after waiting for the release of the mini 2. I only went for it air for the obstacle avoidance knowing that my son would want a go on it as well. I now sit and look at prices of the pro etc and think may be I should of went for one of those but to be honest, I’m not looking to become a pro drone photographer or anything so the mini/mini 2 would of been plenty for me but having the obstacle avoidance is the bonus for when my son has a fly and makes me feel a bit calmer when he’s looking around at me rather than the drone, as soon as the controller beeps, he freezes
Obtaining clearance from 'er indoors is always the most difficult part of any hobby - generally best not to ask permission! I’m sure I saw a supplier of fountain pens who will provide an “alibi note” congratulating you on winning the competition in the parcel, while sending the actual receipt on via email!!!
Hey Simon I have a Mavic Air 2 which I’m over the moon with. Its a fantastic drone packed with great features. Originally I was looking to buy a Fimi X8 SE 2020 but after looking into it opted for the MA2 as I knew I would want to upgrade almost straight away so would have been wasting time and money going for the Fimi. The Mini 2 is a very capable drone with fantastic reviews but if you are likely to get hooked and want to upgrade quickly I would say go for the MA2 straight away. Whichever you decide to go for youll be getting a great bit of kit! Good luck choosing Have a look at the below which gives you the main differences between the Mini 2, Air 2 and Pro 2. Hopefully it will help you make a decision
Just noticed in the specs that the Mini 2 has recommended operating temperature of between 0 and 40 degrees centigrade but the Air 2 has an operating temperature of between -10 and 40 degrees centigrade. Not sure if this is related to the batteries or the internal electronics but if you are likely to be out in sub zero temps the Air 2 looks the better option
As a first Drone, you might want to consider the mini 2. Iff after several months you decide the hobby isn’t for you. There will be no problem selling the Mini 2 for an excellent return.
I have the mini 1 and Air 2 and wouldn’t part with either. I don’t want to fly near people, so aren’t really concerned about restrictions imposed by owning the Air 2.
Hey Simon take a look at Very. They do a 10% discount on first order if you open an account with them. I got my MA2 from there after a recommendation from @milkmanchris and got around £100 off. Even if you go for the Mini 2 you will get £50 off
To be honest the 10% discount is pretty damn good anyway. Its the best price I’ve seen while searching for brand new MA2 deals. I did see the other day a site called e-videoshop dot co dot uk which had unbelievable prices but looks VERY suspect and I could find barely any info for them for reviews etc