First drone Mini 2 or Mavic Air 2?

@1977paul rather than take the other thread off topic we have moved your question to this more relevant thread. Have a read, it might answer your questions.

I’d say you should intend to end up with both.

Think of it like any other camera option. A full featured DSLR, or mirrorless system, is great for those planned and special event shots, but not much fun to be lugging around just on the off chance you come across something interesting to capture. That’s where a compact, or even your mobile phone, comes into its element.

The Mini2 is the compact point and shoot commando drone. It has far less restrictions as to where it can be used, and while the camera might not have the same performance as that of the Air2(S) the results are still very impressive.

The Air2(S) can fly in conditions the Mini2 would really struggle in, and has a better spec’d camera, and OA, and other refinements, but there will be limitations as to where and how you will be able to use it.

I do have a Mini2 but I don’t have an Air2(S), though I do have one or two drones (:rofl::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::crazy_face:) that are comparable in size and Spec to the Air2(S), and the Mini2 complements them all.

I have both the Mini1 (wish it was a mini2) and the Air 2. And to be honest I agree with @Nidge both is the way to go. But if budget doesn’t allow for both then I’d suggest the mini2 over the Air2 as you’ll have far more freedom on where to fly.

The Air 2 is a far more capable drone and can handle far worse weather conditions. But you are limited to open country side and set distances away from your target as well as no over flight of uninvolved persons. But there are online courses like the A2CofC that can reduce some of the restrictions but even with that its limited.

The sort of location available to the Air2 is places like willington cooling towers that are situated in open countryside side just outside of Derby:

The mini2 on the other hand can be legally flown in built up areas like city centres:

Coventry Cathedral situated in Coventry City Centre:

Just a couple of examples of the different locations available to each drone.

Personally I wouldn’t be without either of my Mini 1 or Air2 :+1:t2:

I hope this helps you make the decision that’s right for you and where you’re planning to fly :+1:t2:

1 Like

My HO…The summer is on its way, winds will be less of an issue, my Mini 2 is fine in gusts of upto 26-27 mph), Mini 2 will do everything you want of a drone, if you want more functionality apps such as litchi will give you that. Mini 2 will allow to fly more locations than anything else. Get a Mini 2, use it over the summer, if you really get into the hobby upgrade in October/November time, or wait and see what happens with legacy drones…

Thanks for the responses so far but as I already have an Air 1, which is very capable other than battery life really and signal strength and has follow me and obstacle avoidance, I’m still undecided. Can’t justify having two drones and the offers I have seen on a certain selling site end soon!
Would Litchi allow ME to follow? Obvs it won’t allow obstacle avoidance, what else would it offer??

Decision made and that decision is to stay with Air 1 for the time being, although I am currently bidding on a used Air 2! :woozy_face: