Fly away, watery grave :-(

Just back from a trip to the Mid Wales coast. Stopped at Tal-y-Lynn Lake to film the beautiful scenery. I had a fly away into the lake from the hill side. I tried all the fly away tips and tricks but my mavic2 was on a rapid diagonal decent into the lake. I’m trying to u pick why and thought I would share the steps before it’s happened.

1. Switch on, firm wear update required, hardly any phone signal so I waited for the download and upload.
  2. Switched drone off and back on
  3. Calibrated compass
  4. Took off to 5m
  5. Set return to home location
    6.rotated the drone to look over the lake and slowly moved off
  6. Drone immediately shoots quickly diagonally down 100m ish to its watery end aged 2 months
  7. Attempts to control, gain altitude, was about my only option as it happens so quickly

Bright sunshine, 14c, wind speed 8n gusting to 16.

I will replace in due course but after 2 months of careful flying, A2 c of c and lots of tutorials…i was caught by surprise. I’m not sure if the firmware update had anything to do with this but I shall be wary when I return.

Next question, with no care package, can you buy just the drone? It appears not.

2 Likes

An airdata to share ?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss :confused:

You can but not much of a saving

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that and yes I’ve got some. Now to find out how to share it

3 Likes

You can also buy ‘used like new’ from MPB which many on here have used and recommend. Probably better value at £1159

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-action-cameras/dji-mavic-2-pro/sku-1179344/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj9b4nm2_Gfw-1QM7rs9YlNgf0qWTN0-aHXLoO65RURJajc7JIA9j5xoCnG4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dshttps://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-action-cameras/dji-mavic-2-pro/sku-1179344/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj9b4nm2_Gfw-1QM7rs9YlNgf0qWTN0-aHXLoO65RURJajc7JIA9j5xoCnG4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Give heliguy or someone like that a ring see what they say

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies - it’s a mini2, my typo but can’t amend post. Sorry

2 Likes

Apr 17th, 2021 02:07PM | General / Overview | DJI Fly log 1.4.0 | United Kingdom | Airdata UAV GPS problems by the looks of it.

2 Likes

This on ebay could be an option and if you buy using PayPal you should be protected if it isn’t in the condition they say it is. The buyer has 100% feedback on 11901 items too. £290 buy it now price or make an offer

1 Like

Going by all the Max Power Load / Not Enough Force warnings, coupled with the rapid and continuous speed increase in the logs, did the wind simply take the Mini away as soon as it got out in to the open air?

2 Likes

Prop come off maybe?

2 Likes

You’d probably see one ESC reporting differently from the other three.

I’ve not studied the logs, just glanced at the CSV on my phone :blush:

2 Likes

Perhaps, wind speed was all ok but deep sided valley. Expensive lesson to learn, just trying to understand why.

Just looking at it, it looks like it went from all OK to in the water within about 3 seconds. Sounds like some kind of catastrophic failure :thinking: I don’t really know how to read the logs properly so was a bit of a best guess

2 Likes

Looks like an ESC hardware failure, I would get in touch with DJI

1 Like

Max speed achieved was 45.2 mph @ 54.2 secs in P mode - according to specs max speed in P mode is 10 m/s or 22.4 mph. Sounds like wind may have played a part despite the weather data showing a wind speed of 4 mph :man_shrugging:

Did you check that the drone was pointing in the correct direction according to the map on the app ?? The data replay appears to show the drone flying away from you backwards !!!

When you carried out the compass calibration could there have been any metal around ??

Also from the data play back - there is only left stick input - there is not input from the right stick to move the drone forward/backward - did you actually move the right stick ??

2 Likes

All happened rather quick but I turned it around so the camera was facing across the lake and then left it hover briefly.
I’ve never seen it move so fast or diagonally down.

Keen to learn if it’s me, and the wind speed shown is puzzling

2 Likes

Compass calibration wouldnt work near the car so moved away about 10 foot and calibrated successfully

It went diagonally down into the water in 3 seconds, way faster than it should be able to travel. I don’t think that could be the wind. ESC, Motor or Prop failure I reckon. That would account for the diagonal downwards movement too

1 Like

Similar to this