Flying in Northern Ireland

Hi everybody. I’m coming to NI and I’d like to fly my Mavic Mini in town. Can someone tell me if it is possible with it? (Sorry for my english, i’m italian).
Thanks

Where in NI are you planning to visit?

Take a look here, it’ll show you where the controlled airspace is.

You will need to log in with your Grey Arrows details to reveal the airspace layers.

2 Likes

Are those FRZs or Covid-19 outbreaks? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be in Banbridge. Do I have to respect the 50m from people and homes?
Thanks

The UK and Northern Ireland drone flying Rules can be found in : The Drone Code

From 30th November 2019 the law requires you to have two registrations in place with the CAA before you fly a drone or model aircraft that weights between 250g and 20kg. But the mavic Mini weighs 249 grams…

You do not need to register to fly a Mavic Mini if it is under 250g

So don’t fit the prop guards :rofl:

1 Like

Exactly. Thanks a lot! However, the web cam problem remains…

Oh? Which problem is that? :thinking:

The problem is that having the web cam the drone must be registered. But apart from that, the basic question is whether you can fly the Mavic Mini even at close distances to people or houses.

As above, the Drone Code answers that question. You cannot legally fly within 150m of any town or within 50m of people, structures or vehicles elsewhere.

Thanks a lot!

I edited my first reply to add the word “legally”. You will find plenty of drone images taken in the UK (including on this website) that weren’t taken in line with the Drone Code :slight_smile:

1 Like

There appears to be a distinct lack of Northern Ireland locations on Drone Scene. As far as I can see there is only one :astonished:. Come on NI flyers (and visitors), we need to something about that, there is some great scenery here!

1 Like

?

Yes.

Yes, you do.

1 Like

Since Chris seems to want clarification :smile: … unless you have permission from the CAA, you cannot legally fly within 150m of a congested area, which the CAA define as ‘in relation to a city, town or settlement, any area which is substantially used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes’.

Personally, I just find it easier to say you can’t fly within 150m of a town. It’s not accurate, but it’s certainly simpler.

Just clarification on

So you said

Which I thank you for.

The majority of hobbyists users (should) know the drone code, after all its what they are tested on for DRES it makes no mention of towns, and using such terms, I believe adds to the confusion, especially as a lot of large cities and towns have parks where flying is permitted.

1 Like

Indeed I do :smiley:. I only joined GADC a couple of weeks ago, discovering it via Drone Scene while looking for ideas for Scottish locations. I’ve been using a Mavic Pro up to this point, and my Mavic 2 Pro only arrived the day before I set off for Scotland, so not much time to set up before the trip. Now that I’m back home again I’ll do my best to remedy the situation.

2 Likes

Looking at heading to the north coast this week, weather and other factors permitting maybe get something in.
Is it an issue at my end or does Drone Scene not have all the same layers for Northern Ireland as in the rest of the UK, ie. National Trust ect?
I have NT and Crown Estate showing up on the England map but not the NI map?

On another note, does anyone know if there’s a Republic of Ireland version of Drone Scene out there?
Or maybe one day Drone Scene may extend to all of the British Isles?
I was going to the NW, Donegal, quite regularly and thought this is going to be great, then lockdown hit :frowning:
Thanks