Flying in the EU

@DroneGeek I agree Ian, but it’s a good start and the ones I have checked out for my own purposes listed the relevant Aviation authority and provided links to the same; I was then able to see where their rules deviated slightly from EASA Regulations. It also has been updated since I first went on it. For instance in Malta you have to register your drone on line with their Authority and apply for permission 24hrs before a flight using their form and you cannot fly higher than 60m, no night flight and videos with people in it maybe subject to data protection.

1 Like

Apologies if the answer is somewhere in this very long thread!
I have got the EASA certificate which I gained the other day by doing the course and tests on the Luxembourg site.
The ‘registration’ number on this certificate looks like a Flyer id to me (‘RP’ = ‘Remote Pilot’?) so I assume I need an EU/EASA Op ID. I wrote to the Luxembourg equivalent of the CAA asking how I get this but have had no reply. Am I doing the right thing here or is there somewhere else I need to contact? Or is that number on the certificate the one to stick on the drone?

A quick Google:

Registering as a UAS operator - Guichet.lu - Luxembourg (public.lu)

Thanks but none of the options offered appear to be suitable for a person applying for themselves from a non-EU country

So just quick confirmation before I do it.

I obvs have UK operators ID and flyer ID which I know are not valid with Europe.

I am travelling to Majorca in September, my question is if I get an operators ID and flyer ID from Ireland, would that mean I can then fly in Majorca? I do have insurance through “Coverdrone” which does cover me for Europe.

I attempted the Spanish one but the whole process is in Spanish, which I do not speak and using google translate would take forever

I just want to make sure the Ireland one will mean I can fly in Majorca due to the cost.

Thanks

Moved your post to the Flying in the EU thread since there is much info/reading above and any further posts only improve the pool of information. :+1:

The EASA guidance says this (my emphasis)

“If you are a resident of a non-EASA Member State and plan to visit and operate a drone in an EASA Member State, you need to register as a drone operator with the National Aviation Authority of the first EASA state you intend to operate from.”

So, if you “intend” to fly first in Ireland … then circumstances prevent it and you end up flying in Majorca … well, thats life isn’t it.

2 Likes

Well thank you for that confirmation, I do “intend” to fly in Ireland beforehand, thanks

2 Likes

It would cost you less if you intended to first fly in Cyprus (which website is in English too.) :wink:

And as for registering in the first country you fly, I intended to fly in Greece a couple of years back and you couldn’t register via the Greek site without a number only Greeks have. It was the Greek aviation authorities that told me to register via Cyprus.

Is it as easy steps as the Irish one? I tried the Luxembourg one but that was very complicated, so many “intended trips” this year lol

I would say easier; I believe you have to wait on the Irish one for a number to come through which could take a few days? I had my Operator ID and Flyer ID in under 20 minutes when I did it in 2022. I just had to provide a scan (photograph) of my passport ID page and a utility bill (I used my internet bill.)

1 Like

This is the site I used … free and in English :slight_smile:

https://learningzone.eurocontrol.int/ilp/pages/description.jsf#/users/@self/catalogues/8264768/courses/20790571/description

1 Like

Wish i knew this before doing the IRISH one lol, paid £32.

Am I right after getting UAS online training number i dont need to do anymore for a DJI mini 4 pro?

You need to pay the same fee again for the operator ID to display on the drone.

Other countries do not charge this.

I have not checked Ireland recently, but this was the case a couple of years ago.

Oh dam really? wish i knew that before doing the first part, thats like €38.00

If you paid €38 already you might have it

Unlike the UK, you have to have both Op ID and Flyer ID to fly under EASA rules.

When I did it through the IA it was around the same cost but unlike the UK the Op ID lasts 2 years not 1yr. The Flyer ID lasts 5 yrs.

You will be issued with an electronic certificate (its like a credit card sized thing when printed with your details on (a bit like an A2 CofC card). You will also get a QR code of your Op ID that you should display on your drone (I did 1st yr but it fell off so I just used the same method as the UK, which is printed on a clear sticker from ebay).

You should have the latter on you when you fly as you may be asked by the local police for proof ( I have mine on my phone and have had to show it only once in 3 yrs in Italy and Malta).

Having done all of the above you need to check the countries rules that you’re flying in as they often have their own adjustments to that of the EASAs. For example I had to register ALL my flights in advance in Malta on their web app for them to be legal. Was easy to do mind, and everyone was authorised by their Tm-CAD, including those in the FRZ of their airport!

1 Like