Flying in the EU

I don’t think this is now the case, the pre EASA Regs required a fire proof label but I’m pretty sure this is not the case now under the new regs…

I thought all CofT give Operator ID not Flyer ID? But you’re right. RP is a flyer ID. Also hence the 5 year expiry.

No. I’m speaking to expats in Spain who are trying to register their drones to get an operator ID, like us they have done the LUX course and it is considered a Flyer ID, you still must register your drone in the country you are flying in to obtain an operator ID.

I wonder how similar the Lux test is to the DE one.

No idea, but I thought the LUX training and test was way better and more in-depth than the UK online test!

I didn’t bother with the German training (couldn’t understand it anyway) but the test was definitely a lot better.

I took the training test for France. They registered me as a pilot and the drones for a period of 5 years. As I understand this is good for any EU country flying in categories A1 and A3. There was no charge for the test / certificates.
The test seemed more comprehensive than the UK version but was straightforward after seeing the training videos.

1 Like

Just for confirmation that you need to register for an operator ID in addition to the remote pilot certificate in the EU country you will be flying in, see the link below from the DAC website from which you can obtain the Luxembourg RP certificate.

2 Likes

How do you deal with the requirement of YOU CAN ONLY REGISTER IN ONE COUNTRY
Do you need to unregister as an operator in the UK?

No idea!! I think it’s obvious that all scenarios such as temporary registration for holiday visits has not yet been thought through, hopefully that will come with time…

The UK is no longer a member of the EU!

I agree with ChrisM. My understanding is that if you are registered in any one EU country then you are good to fly in any other EU country. I registered in France nearly two years ago when it became a legal requirement there. You also have to register your drones there and you get a number for each drone.
My drones now have my UK and French operator numbers on. I intended to go the Greece last year and checked and it was confirmed that my French registration was OK.
Incidentally, it’s not just EU contries this applies to. It’s any country that is a member of EASA like Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.There’s a list here.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Just done it and it is certainly more thorough than the UK registration test, but not difficult if you follow the instruction/examples given. If lockdown ever ends I plan to take my mavic mini to Greece and this new certificate should mean that I’m good to fly.

@briwy thanks for the links much appreciated. I’ve got the Lux Flyer ID now just need to pick a EU country to register it in :thinking:

1 Like

Done mine and have my certificate but it’s only A1 and A3 not A2 you have to attend a course in Luxembourg for that one, cheers Len

1 Like

To old to find this easy. A lot to remember, my advice, screenshot the bits in the pre exam info you think may crop up. It is free and if you fail you can do it again as many times as you need.[quote=“briwy, post:1, topic:26374, full:true”]
If you are going to fly in the EU you need a registration from an EU country which is then valid all over the EU. (If we had stayed in EASA then the UK one would have been OK)
This link is for a training company in Luxembourg who will provide this free of charge (currently). It’s all free and in English. A bit more involved than our test but very straightforward. On passing the test you get a certificate from the Luxembourg Civil Aviation Authority which is good for all of the EU for A1and A3
This is purely for recreational flying.
Rules can vary slighly from country to country but they are basically the same as ours. Some countries, Spain, Holland, Germany that I know of also require you to have fireproof id plates with the maker, model, serial no, name and contact no. This has to be on the drone and controller. I’m trying to find someone to supply these at a reasonable price, maybe a local jeweller.

[/quote]

Do you have to display your EASA identification number on the drone, like the U.K. operator number?

1 Like

Yep correct. I emailed EUROCONTROL asking the exact same question and there response was

The United Kingdom (UK) withdrew from the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) system as of January 01, 2021. As of that date the EU law does not apply anymore in the UK which is considered as a third country.

This means that, in accordance with Article 41 of Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/945, Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) operators that have their principal place of business, are established, or reside in the UK shall comply with Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/947 for the purpose of operations within in the single European sky airspace. The competent authority for such a third country UAS operator wishing to operate in the EU is the competent authority of the first Member State where the UAS operator intends to operate.

As a derogation to the above provisions, in accordance with Article 41 of Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/945 a certificate of the remote pilot competency or the UAS operator’s certificate issued by a third country may be recognised by the competent authority of the EU Member State provided that all of the following conditions are met:

· the third country asked for such recognition,

· the certificate of the remote pilot competency or the UAS operator`s certificate are valid documents of the State of issue; and

· the Commission, after consultation of EASA, has ensure that the requirements on the basis of which such certificates have been issued provide the same level of safety as the Regulation (EU) 2019/945 does;

The UK has not yet initiated the above recognition process, so as things stand the UK certificates cannot be recognised yet for the purpose of UAS operations within in the single European sky airspace.

sad and a shame but excuse for a visit to lux I guess :laughing:

3 Likes

Yes you do, UK and EU

Just did mine. Much better than the UK theory test

1 Like

Being the optimist that I am and hoping to be able to holiday abroad later this year with my MA2, I have just Passed the EASA A1/A3 Open Sub Category,online with Eurocontrol Training Zone In Luxembourg. Currently a free course. Forty questions in several modules and exams. Found the exam more difficult than the CAA A2 CofC.
Unfortunately to take the A2 exam you have to attend a classroom course in Luxembourg.
Doug Cooper

3 Likes