Flying in the EU

Ditto, done and completely agree the training and test exceed DMARES standards

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

Just did the course ( less than an hour ) and as you all have said found it slightly harder than the A2CofC one, but possibly because I kind of skimmed their document / organisation names which then of course came up in one of the questions.

Hoping I can put it to some use in the next year or so.

tenor-33

Youā€™d think that all UK qualifications would be valid. Even a transition period. Instead of all the carry on getting ID in another country. Multiple IDā€™s :roll_eyes: can see that working well :man_facepalming:t2: Bonkers :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Hi, did you have to select Organisation and Company name when registering ?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I honestly canā€™t remember but as the registration is for a Flyer ID, I think itā€™s unlikely.

Which EU Country have people been registering their drones in then? Got the flyer ID but not managed to get it registered and an operator ID sorted yet. Anyone found a country / website where its easy to get your EU Operator ID?

Try Ireland iaa.ie Did my operator and flyer operator a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Done mine in Malta as going there first, ā‚¬25 for year to join UAS. Once registered can use other EU countries

1 Like

2 Likes

@Duggy , and @Rno7552 cheers guys :+1: :+1:

Just completed both Operator and Aircraft ID for my Mini 2 with the French - primarily as my parents have a holiday home there, and its the one we transit through most when we go awy to Europe in our campervan.

Simple enough apart from some fairly importantish bits are only in French and some of the translated questions are a bit strange to understand. As others have said, fairly consistent with regard the main rules but the French go very heavy on the privacy side of things.

I rattled through the training - skipping the French only manuals and the actual 40 question multiple choice bit in 20 minutes.

Thinking about it - I would certainly have a think about looking at the Irish equivalent of the CAA first if I was doing it again as itā€™ll probably be in a much more understandable form of English - as I said, I only did it on the French one as thats where we spend a fair chunk of time - so I thought it better that my paperwork be in French when Iā€™m deep out in the sticks faced with an irate farmer or rural copper. At least, they will be able to read and understand my bits of laminated paper!! :rofl:

1 Like

@Pontyslapper I did the Irish registration as the only EU country I usually visit is Greece and their aviation authority website nearly drove me around the bend until I eventually discovered that to use the site you have to go through the identity proof process but the one they use is only available to Greek taxpayers (spot the oxymoron!). You have to go through a similar identity proving process on the Irish site but at least itā€™s in English and thereā€™s a telephone number if you get stuck.
I do have a recurring nightmare about bumping into the Greek police out in the sticks - thinking about translating and printing some form of explanation that Iā€™ll carry in my camera bag along with all my other bits of paperwork.

1 Like

No ā€˜residencyā€™ check with the French. Indeed on one bit Iā€™d put in United Kingdom, it threw a bit of a wobbly. Changed it to France and job done.

A lot of it is available in very strictly translated English that makes it strange to understand in places, but itā€™s doable in about half hour from start to finish.

I was bored yesterday, so did the aircraft registration and general site registration. Then did the training and test this morning.

Certs seem to be PDFs stored on the site, and maybe even one gets posted to you - weā€™ll see with that as one email mentioned a postal address for the test cert.

1 Like

I looked into getting my operator ID in Germany - not because I need it right now; just to get it out of the way.
It appears that Germany requires liability insurance to fly there, even if youā€™ve got a European ID from another country.

Hi all, first time posting but been on many forums for years :+1:.

Bit of background

Currently own a mini 2 but also getting a mavic air 2 soon, I have got the a mini 2 mainly for travelling, Iā€™m going to Ireland in September to see friends so Iā€™ve been on the IAA website and done the online training and registered my operator ID, I also have a place in the Murcia area of Spain which is where I plan to use the mini 2 the most, Iā€™m reading conflicting reports regarding EASA european operator registration, some are saying because Iā€™ve already done this through the IAA Iā€™m OK to fly in all of Europe but others are saying I have to register as an operator in Spain as well.

Does anyone have a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi
Yes, your registration in on one EU country covers you in all of them.
This is from EASA site

Will my registration as drone operator be recognised throughout Europe?

Answer

Yes, you as drone operator, will receive a unique registration number and this will be valid in all other EASA member State. You cannot register twice.

3 Likes

Thanks, I did think this was the case :+1:

However, places like Portugal still require you to register there separately and request permission to fly if you have a camera on the drone. You need to record your equipment, sign a legal form and request permission for every flight and the area in which you will be fly / dates. In fact they do not seem to even recognise the EASA registration etc. There is no request to have it.

This is exactly what iā€™m referring too, so much conflicting information, bit of a minefield.

1 Like

Polish operator registration:

https://drony.ulc.gov.pl/operator/display

A1 & A3 test seems to be the same as described for other countriesā€¦ much more comprehensive in between the UK registration questions and the A2 CofC. It does have a theory training section for A2 but you canā€™t take the test - you have to pay elsewhere.

I did email them asking if they would recognise my A2 CofC - figured itā€™s worth a try :wink:

1 Like