Flying near an airport

I am new to flying and have a dji mini 2.

I have a client who lives near an airport and they have asked if I can take an Ariel photo of thier house and garden…is that possible with sub 250g?

I was led to believe that because it is in a red zone, that I wouldn’t be allowed to fly and the drone would stop me…but…it’s popped up a warning and so do that mean I can, with caution?

Hi @MorpheusG and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

2 Likes

In relation to your question, you don’t mention which airport. Knowing that might enable better advice to be given.

There are two considerations - where the DJI GeoZones will allow your drone to take off or fly into, and where UK legislation dictates that you shouldn’t fly. These two areas are not necessarily (in fact that are rarely) the exact same.

In this respect, our Drone Scene helps.

When you zoom in to the location via this link will take you to it and show you the airport FRZs that will need the permission of the local ATC before you can legally fly in them.

From the layers icon, you can then select the DJI GeoZones, and that will show if you will be in an area that will need unlocking by DJI … via the Fly app.

This thread may also help : Getting FRZ Permission the right and best way?

5 Likes

DJI seem to geofence main airports but if it’s only a small local airfield they won’t. We live near a flying club based at a former RAF WW2 base and the drone’s controller simply presents a pop up asking you to verify that you take responsibility. I ring the flying club and they say yes, no or yes within certain limits. They’re quite helpful.