Flying over private Estates, i.e. with castle in grounds

I know its been stated many times that you can fly over private property providing you adhere to the guidelines as to where to take off and land. Also that you do not make a nuisance or interfere with the owners privacy. Take for example, if you were to take off from some distance away (not too far) taking into account the recent rulings on VLOS, what can be done to stop you. Recently I was outside the perimeter of an ancient monument, sitting comfortably on my chair alongside a sign that said “No Metal Detecting Permitted” I can appreciate that. But within a short time over came someone stating that it was not allowed. He was quite reasonable but had been told by his boss to come over and tell us to stop. We had a pleasant conversation and explained our rights and off he toddled, no grief at all, but it does go to show how still a lot of the Elitests who are employed on these sites are ill informed and like to treat the sites as their own personal property. Anyway we were not bothered by anyone else and got some good footage.

1 Like

Had a nightmare in Dumfriesshire at an ancient monument and a Historic Scotland Abbey a few months back, made me really question whether I should be flying at all, but thanks to the guys on here I realised these sorts of days happen, and idiots / uninformed are everywhere, we just have to educate them or ignore them…

Sounds like the experience you had was relatively positive… I am back off to Scotland a few times this year, taking the drone and hopefully capturing lots more epic footage, but we have to comply with the landowners restrictions - on Orkney Scottish Heritage do not allow Drone flights from (or over their land) but nothing stopping us capturing the sites from a public TOAL site, and tbh most larger sites look better from something of a distance…

1 Like

Presuming there is no FRZ in place.

Nothing at all.

Only the land owner can prohibit you from using their land to TOAL.

1 Like

All I would add to Chris’s comment is with some estates check as to the ownership of the roads.

Some estates will own a bit more of the road outside.

findmystreet.co.uk may well help.

2 Likes

Thanks, my thoughts, it’s just the place in question is very well known.

Thanks for the reply.

If they have cattle or deer on an estate your likely to get shot down by an irate gamekeeper, classed as interfering with livestock

I was always under the impression that the Protection of Livestock Act 1953 related more to owners of dogs who were worrying livestock on agricultural land. To my knowledge it didn’t relate to anything else. I could be wrong?

1 Like

ones I’ve talked to wouldn’t think twice about shooting one down, to them your just a pest and nuisance, the same as most land owners see you, as a rule drone owners take for granted they can go anywhere do anything, ask for permissions its the easiest solution to no conflict

… maybe so in their eyes but in the eyes of the law it is totally illegal to shoot down a drone - it is classified as an aircraft and protected as such :man_shrugging:

I love that firing a gun randomly in the air (need to be a good shot to hit the drone) is considered less of a pest and nuisance, considering will probably need more than one shot, and where is that bullet going to land (I’ve watched too much CSI)

I noticed this as most of Bolton seems to be owned by the Cavendish family including the surrounding roads. Took a video of Bolton Abbey just outside its perimeter wall and stillbfelt guilty! Still got my footage. :grin:

1 Like

They would be using shotguns so it’s safe from that point of view.

Having said that despite what they say any shotgun owner who engages in unlawful activity (esp with the gun) is likely to get their shotgun certificate or firearms certificate yanked by the police and guns seized.

Even if someone threatened to do that I would report it as the threat itself is enough.

1 Like

I guess it would be a shotgun. Which shouldn’t be too hard to hit a drone. But I agree the using a firearm to shoot down a drone would be a serious offence not at all like the presumed offence committed by the drone.
It would be likely that he would lose his firearms licence and be guilty of at least criminal damage or possibly causing a danger to members of the public.

1 Like

Sorry Lewis I did not see your posting. I agree totally.

1 Like

In reality it would be an offence under the ANO 2016. There’s no specific entry in the Firearms Act for it but I guess it won’t bode well when the firearms certificate for said licence holder when it’s time for renewal if the police get involved as they would have a duty of care to report that to the relevant force renewal office.

Some years ago, when I was going through a divorce the police seized my shotguns and cancelled my licence on the off chance I might shoot her. Lol. Also never got my licence back but did get a letter from the Chief Constable telling me that it would be on my file , if ever my name was drawn to their attention for any reason whatsoever.

I’ve heard of “shotgun weddings” but … :open_mouth:

Machine gun or sawn off :scream: joking !

You could argue that if your drone is close enough to actually get shot down, you’re probably too close.

1 Like