FPV speed run data

Rather than clog up the thread discussing if FPVs should be included in the ‘Breaking the speed limit’ leaderboard ( Breaking the speed limit - FPV and Racing Quad Style - Discussion, and the original thread Breaking the speed limit ) I thought I’d start a new one as a repository for speedrun data pending a decision on its final resting place.

First up today was my iFlight Titan DC2, with some slightly more aggressive props than my previous attempt…

Taking the Betaflight Blackbox .gpx data and dragging it into Google Earth, the flight path was

The Betaflight Black Box gps .csv data gave a peak speed of 39.93m/s on my 3rd flight

Which works out at

Flight 3

Easily beating the 81.29mph from Tuesday :slight_smile:

Original .BBL file is here if anyone wants to check https://cp162174.hpdns.net:2083/cpsess8459596021/frontend/paper_lantern/filemanager/showfile.html?file=BTFL_BLACKBOX_LOG_Titan_DC2_20220304_144832.BBL&fileop=&dir=%2Fhome%2Fmartinsm%2Fpublic_html%2Fmartin&dirop=&charset=&file_charset=&baseurl=&basedir=

1 Like

Next was the turn of the Chimera 4, also on 4S batteries. Although a 4" frame I currently have 3" props fitted

Flight path taken below - the back and forth bit at the left was playing with someone’s dog who loves to chase it - the owner was in tears of laughter :slight_smile:

GPS CSV data

…giving a speed of…

Chim flight 2

Original BBL file is here if needed for verification https://cp162174.hpdns.net:2083/cpsess8459596021/frontend/paper_lantern/filemanager/showfile.html?file=BTFL_BLACKBOX_LOG_20220304_150505.BBL&fileop=&dir=%2Fhome%2Fmartinsm%2Fpublic_html%2Fmartin&dirop=&charset=&file_charset=&baseurl=&basedir=

Interestingly, with both drones the fastest flight was done with the largest & heaviest battery fitted - I think current delivery is more important than shaving a few grams off. I also have a few other props to try on each of them…then I’ll move on to my 5" ( 4S Titan DC5 and 6S Nazgul Evoque ) and 7" drones ( 6S Chimera 7 ) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think that 7 satellites is sufficient on a fast moving object to get accurate speed
It’s generally agreed in the hobby/industry that 6 are needed for 3D fix on a static object.
In my experience a minimum of 8 should be used for a moving objects speed.
I’ve covered this before in previous post.
I think the @GADC_Committee should make a ruling on this as inaccurate speeds accepted to the ‘speed chart’ make a laughing stock of people’s real attempts
:slightly_smiling_face:

Only 4 are needed for a 3D fix

3 will give a 3D fix but with 2 possible solutions for location

4 will give a fix, but will be less accurate than, say, 10. I don’t pretend to know the ins and outs of it, but with minimal sats testing in my kitchen, I achieved over 500mph. On the bench :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Respectfully disagree but we are talking here about accurate speed measurement :slightly_smiling_face:

Think of the geometry

3 satellites will form a triangle lying in a flat plane and can establish the position of a gps receiver relative to each satellite but can’t define whether it is above or below the plane formed by the 3 satellites. A 4th satellite will be able to define whether the receiver lies above or below the plane defined by the other 3 satellites.

1 Like

I don’t think its as simple as that. Maybe if the receiver was receiving a tight beam from the satellite, yes, 4 would be all that’s needed. But the rf from gps is not a beam, its quite dispersed I would imagine. So the 4 point ‘triangulation’ is inaccurate.

The GPS satellites broadcast a signal with a timestamp - from the timestamp of the received signals the receiver can work out how far it is from each satellite - no beam required

1 Like

And from there, the one nearest the surface of Earth is usually chosen.

1 Like

I think this image helps. Its also to do with the spread of satellites. So the more the better as they are probably more spread out. A hdop figure is better at telling accuracy. I’m learning as I go…

1 Like

I personally think that a proper set of rules/circumstances need to be thought out and agreed upon before any “records” are attempted. How many satellites are acceptable, is video needed, quad categories defind etc etc

1 Like

Won’t that turn a bit of fun into a bit of an onerous activity - I thought the idea was to get people out flying their drones not discourage them by making them jump through hoops if they want to see and compare how fast their drones can go :confused:

Will each run need to be observed by an official, and speed both with and against the wind averaged out to remove windspeed from the equation :confused:

1 Like

I agree. If you want the glory, you need to make @Howard78 your bitch :rofl:

1 Like

Im not talking about writing a 100 page rule book. Just outlining a set of rules so that everyone is singing from the same hymn book. Whats the point in having an official speed leader board if its not at least accurate and everyones following the same guide? The current leader board has rules where the flight log gets analysed and accepted. I agree it has to be fun but it also has to have tangible

1 Like

Karl @notveryprettyboy has hit the nail on the head here
We should really be displaying the h-hdop figure on the OSD when doing these speed runs
Exact figure to be researched and shared by us all. I expect somewhere between 0.8 & 1.0
More to come on this I think :slightly_smiling_face:

Betaflight won’t show this. Maybe through the bbl?

Does DJI Fly give hdop ?

It’s not this simple really, wish it was.